TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Around the Campfire (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Fess up, we all know you have done something Stupid (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673519)

Tuffbroadhead 12-07-2017 02:47 PM

Fess up, we all know you have done something Stupid

After getting a headache reading the "Tree stand accident thread" ;)b

Here is a wonderful thread to fess up on stupid things that you have done, or just bad choices.. :D:D:D:D:D

Example: Big ole fire burning outside you have the awesome idea to toss that old dresser into it and let it burn, yeap ya forgot about all those handgun rounds rolling around in it...yeap, that left a mark...;)b

tvc184 12-07-2017 02:49 PM

Not until after I retire.....

flywise 12-07-2017 02:55 PM

My list is pretty long
but I did fall from a tree when I decided to trust the 2x4 steps nailed to a tree that had obviously been there for 30 years. On the way down I remember thinking....your and idiot:o

John Paul 12-07-2017 02:57 PM

One time I sold a ranch and I found a box of Navy Flares in the barn. Well, after a few drinks one evening in the middle of summer we touched a few of those off. If you have ever had the experience of shooting one off you know its cool. The 50 acres of pasture I burned up wasn't so good though. Imagine a little torch coming down slow underneath a parachute into 300 acres of dry, hot KR bluestem.

Jerry H 12-07-2017 02:57 PM

Sorry I don't remember her name :D

Sika 12-07-2017 02:58 PM

I shot a rifle from a inside an insulated box blind without sticking the barrel out the window. It was mounted on a field pod. No hearing protection. After that I couldn't hear well for days and my tinnitus has been much worse ever since. Absolutely one of the dumbest things I've ever done.

arrowsmack324 12-07-2017 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvc184 (Post 12994598)

That's classifieds, lol!

Tuffbroadhead 12-07-2017 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry H (Post 12994643)
Sorry I don't remember her name :D

Just one!! Slacker!!:p

Deer Tamales 12-07-2017 03:03 PM

No Speaky English....

Jerry H 12-07-2017 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuffbroadhead (Post 12994665)
Just one!! Slacker!!:p

:eek: :D

stickbowcoop 12-07-2017 03:10 PM

Our last house was built in the 60's. It had that really old ugly paneling like in old mobile homes. We were tearing it off and drywalling after new insulation, wiring, etc. There was a closet wall and I thought I would be funny and just punch it to knock it off the wall. There was a 2x4 stud behind. One broken finger later and when my brother finally stopped laughing we finished the room :) .

wow 12-07-2017 03:10 PM

Try steer dogging of the side of a step side pick up. 3 times on a gravel road.
They always said I was a slow learner.

ColinR 12-07-2017 03:13 PM

Got married! And stayed married.....well until she reads this. LOL

Kinda hope she doesn't read this.....kinda.

Quackerbox 12-07-2017 03:13 PM

Towed a boat down the road one night. Without a trailer. Tried like heck to get a buddy to ride in it. He refused:o

boh347 12-07-2017 03:13 PM

Hmm there’s been a few, I locked my keys in the car while me and my gf at the time we’re naked OUTSIDE of the car.

I recently accidentally took a swig of my own pee. The other day I peed in a lemon lime Gatorade bottle and forgot that I did that. Well the next day I took a swig of it and immediately knew the horrific think I’ve done. Instant shame.

systemnt 12-07-2017 03:14 PM

Got pulled behind a Oldsmobile 442 via a long rope tied to a hole drilled in a big *** cutting disc.......... down a gravel road....with turns and steel culverts in the ditches....@30+mph

An ambulance , bones, cuts, and burns were involved.

DJM 12-07-2017 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flywise (Post 12994629)
On the way down I remember thinking....your and idiot:o

Sadly,I've had this happen a couple times.:o..................or Man this is gonna hurt.

DJ

Drycreek3189 12-07-2017 03:14 PM

My fingers would get sore trying to list mine.......

okrattler 12-07-2017 03:16 PM

I would but I don't wanna walk you through 28 years of life. That'd probably crash this website.

unclefish 12-07-2017 03:16 PM

When I was younger and just bought by first house...I had a barbecue....that night I threw the "ashes" over my wooden fence in the backyard (pipeline easement).

The next morning I woke up and looked outside and half my fence had burned down and was smoldering. Luckily it was foggy and wet that night or it might have been catastrophic. :eek::eek: :o:o

Pstraw 12-07-2017 03:17 PM

Well put some more wood on the fire and drag up a chair. Once upon a time....

jshouse 12-07-2017 03:17 PM

one that sticks out is trying to shoot the mud out of the end of the barrel of $69 New England Arms 410 when I was about 14. lucky for me it was a cheap gun the barrel mushroomed and split instead of blowing out towards my face.

there are many, many more.

SaltyMutt 12-07-2017 03:17 PM

It is wise not to try and "Modify" Fireworks. Many fire fighters and acres of brush taught me that lesson.

TX_Hoghunter 12-07-2017 03:17 PM

This would go in the I have done some stupid stuff in my life but nothing lately so I was overdue category.....About 2 weeks ago I was at the lease in Harper. It was Sunday afternoon and everyone else had already left. I had hunted my back stand the evening before and realized that I should have really trimmed some of the trees. IN one of my stands I could hear deer eating corn but could not even get a glimpse of them until it was too late to get a shot. Anyway I went out an hour or so early. I did not have a saw but figured that I could break enough limbs out of the way to improve my view. This is the hill country so the trees were live oaks. I climbed into the first tree aqnd managed to get the limbs pulled off the tree. At the next tree I had a problem. About 12 feet up was a limb I needed gone but it was way to large for me to break off the tree. I decided I could get on the limb and at least break the branches off of it. There was a small scrub oak type of a tree under it.that kind of grew horizontal before doubling back. I easily climbed into it and made the leap to the limb 12 foot off of the ground. Now at 52 years of age I don't jump quite like I use too but I made the leap without issues other than the limb I jumped too must have had a weak spot. It snapped off even with the trunk of the tree. I landed on the horizontal part of the scrub oak about a foot off the ground. Hit me right across the lower back. My first thought was to see if my legs worked...they did. Back is still a little on the sore side today. Good news is I can now see the feeder fine.....

-john

bollomb 12-07-2017 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quackerbox (Post 12994710)
Towed a boat down the road one night. Without a trailer. Tried like heck to get a buddy to ride in it. He refused:o

Tried that one night in Planterville about 10 yrs ago with a aluminum boat behind a truck.. The cops weren't to happy when they showed up. The neighbors called and said sounds like the train de-railed and came off the tracks :D

jshouse 12-07-2017 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltyMutt (Post 12994737)
It is wise not to try and "Modify" Fireworks. Many fire fighters and acres of brush taught me that lesson.

I have a minor bottle rocket and field on fire story, but they were stock bottle rockets.

Throwin Darts 12-07-2017 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TX_Hoghunter (Post 12994738)
This would go in the I have done some stupid stuff in my life but nothing lately so I was overdue category.....About 2 weeks ago I was at the lease in Harper. It was Sunday afternoon and everyone else had already left. I had hunted my back stand the evening before and realized that I should have really trimmed some of the trees. IN one of my stands I could hear deer eating corn but could not even get a glimpse of them until it was too late to get a shot. Anyway I went out an hour or so early. I did not have a saw but figured that I could break enough limbs out of the way to improve my view. This is the hill country so the trees were live oaks. I climbed into the first tree aqnd managed to get the limbs pulled off the tree. At the next tree I had a problem. About 12 feet up was a limb I needed gone but it was way to large for me to break off the tree. I decided I could get on the limb and at least break the branches off of it. There was a small scrub oak type of a tree under it.that kind of grew horizontal before doubling back. I easily climbed into it and made the leap to the limb 12 foot off of the ground. Now at 52 years of age I don't jump quite like I use too but I made the leap without issues other than the limb I jumped too must have had a weak spot. It snapped off even with the trunk of the tree. I landed on the horizontal part of the scrub oak about a foot off the ground. Hit me right across the lower back. My first thought was to see if my legs worked...they did. Back is still a little on the sore side today. Good news is I can now see the feeder fine.....

-john

This is ironic considering the other thread

TexasAg2002 12-07-2017 03:24 PM

Gas on a fire. Almost died.

Tuffbroadhead 12-07-2017 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boh347 (Post 12994713)

I recently accidentally took a swig of my own pee. The other day I peed in a lemon lime Gatorade bottle and forgot that I did that. Well the next day I took a swig of it and immediately knew the horrific think Iíve done. Instant shame.

HOLY SMOKE!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

sierracharlie338 12-07-2017 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvc184 (Post 12994598)

Dam that statute of limitations!!! LOL I reckon I can't laugh too loud.

TXBowhunter11 12-07-2017 03:35 PM

Quote:

Hmm thereís been a few, I locked my keys in the car while me and my gf at the time weíre naked OUTSIDE of the car.

I recently accidentally took a swig of my own pee. The other day I peed in a lemon lime Gatorade bottle and forgot that I did that. Well the next day I took a swig of it and immediately knew the horrific think Iíve done. Instant shame.

I bet theres an interesting story to that first one.

jerp 12-07-2017 03:36 PM

I was up in the attic installing some can lighting in my first house. Had the passing thought that I really should take a few minutes to lay some plywood across the joists to stand on. I then decided that was a waste of time - I was young and nimble enough to make my way around tight-roping on the joists.:rolleyes: My next mistake was not testing the circuit to make sure I had turned off the right breaker before wiring up the first light. Getting popped by 110 while balancing on a 2x6 equals falling through the ceiling and landing on the dining room table along with about 10 square ft of shattered sheet rock:o

BigThicketBoy 12-07-2017 03:38 PM

I killed a big ol hog one evening. I had my wife with me and she didn't want to ride back to camp with the dead hog behind her so I let her drive the 4 wheeler.
I thought I would be cute and sit on the hog on the ride back.
Well them tics and fleas decided I was better company than the dead pig and I was covered in them when we got back to camp.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Tx.Fisher 12-07-2017 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sika (Post 12994652)
I shot a rifle from a inside an insulated box blind without sticking the barrel out the window. It was mounted on a field pod. No hearing protection. After that I couldn't hear well for days and my tinnitus has been much worse ever since. Absolutely one of the dumbest things I've ever done.

:eek:

I remember something to do with a extension ladder leaned against a tree limb, a chainsaw, and jumping for my life praying I didn't land on the chainsaw. That's all I'm gonna say ;)

TX_Hoghunter 12-07-2017 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Throwin' Darts (Post 12994759)
This is ironic considering the other thread

Ain't it though.

-john

dustoffer 12-07-2017 03:42 PM

I got two---

First, one summer I was up in my tripod with a pole pruner trimming shooting lanes. Finished up, collapsed the pole, wrapped the rope around the pole and then proceeded to throw it like a spear to the ground--BUT---I forgot that curved saw blade. Yep---it was turned towards me and it got me on the side of my jaw below the ear--about 1.5" worth of ragged tear. Felt like someone hit me with a broomstick, and as I sat stunned, I said "Self, why is blood dripping on the stand?" Took my dirty sweaty shirt off and put it on the wound, then said "Self, how you gonna climb down one-handed?" Managed to get down and walk to the truck about 200 yds away and worked up the nerve to take the shirt down and take a look---put the shirt back and drove home. I had to call my advice nurse to get permission to go to the ER or I would have had to pay the bill myself (retired Army) and after the discussion I decided I wasn't driving 32 miles to the army hospital and wasn't gonna pay the bill to use the local ER. Had quit bleeding so wife and I cleaned it up and got the butterflies out and patched it. Healed just fine, no infection, and what's one more ragged scar for a 71 y.o. guy?

#2--my truck was in the body shop and I was hog hunting out of a rental--a Chevy Silverado. Sitting watching the feeder and I look off to the right and see a couple of hogs headed for the feeder, and they were only about 30-40 yds away. Pulled the M70 Featherweight back in from the driver's side window and slowly got on the nearest hog---BOOM! Sort of like Sika not putting the muzzle out the blind window, I didn't have the .22-250 muzzle clear, and a truck cab is small and not a suppressor. Hog dropped and the other one ran off towards the feeder so I quickly repositioned the rifle just in case. Looked back at the one I shot and there was #2 walking down the fence line. Wouldn't you know it, he stopped and offered me the perfect shot, and I am obviously a slow learner as I did a repeat of my previous shot.

FF36 12-07-2017 03:44 PM

Quote:

Hmm thereís been a few, I locked my keys in the car while me and my gf at the time weíre naked OUTSIDE of the car.

thats funny right there.

Jared.King 12-07-2017 03:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My oops.. Wasn't paying attention...I've shot several deer out of this stand before..I felt like such an idiot. Missed the cull buck I shot at and ruined a broadhead and an arrow. But a consolation axis doe stepped out, you can see her in the pic.

lovemylegacy 12-07-2017 03:48 PM

Not enough room left on this page

LivinADream 12-07-2017 03:57 PM

i dont have time to write my shenanigans but the first thing that popped in my head when I read the title was the guy on here a few years ago that hit the spray paint can with the axe... I still laugh about that pretty often

Dale Moser 12-07-2017 04:00 PM

If by "stupid", you mean "awesome"...yeah I got some scar.. er, trophies.:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jshouse 12-07-2017 04:05 PM

too bad that @ thing don't work, i'd like for a few specific ones to weigh in...

Fishndude 12-07-2017 04:09 PM

Those who know how stupid I am, already know how Stupid I am. No need to expand on that number of people. :)

mhunter6 12-07-2017 04:09 PM

I am ashamed to say i shot myself in the foot with a bowfishing rig when i was about 15 or so. It was a low poundage rig but still went right through. I was shooting carp off some cliffy banks hanging over the water and had one foot halfway off the ledge. My line was tangled around the spool at the end of the bow and when i released the bow once the short amount of line that was free became taught the arrow swung down like a pendulum and went clean through my foot. I had to screw off the head and pull it back through.

Geezy Rider 12-07-2017 04:10 PM

Way too numerous to list.

miket 12-07-2017 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sika (Post 12994652)

Did that a couple of years ago, though it wasnt insulated. I swear it knocked me silly. The concussion and flash was mind boggling. It was all a flash, then silence for a second. Then loud ringing in my ears.

texan4ut 12-07-2017 04:18 PM

My mom lives out in the country and the weekend closest to before July 4th we have a family get together celebrate the 4th and my brothers' wife Bday. We cook out, swim, ride 4 wheelers, and of course we shoot our toys. Well I picked up some tracer ammo for my AR-15. We all loaded up went down where have a target set up. It was pretty cool watching the tracer rounds fly. We getting ready to head up the the house when my nieces boy friend said "Does anyone smell smoke?" Looked at could see fire through the brush and could here it crackling. Three guys ran to the pond with buckets going to put out the fire. They ran into the brush in shorts and got all cut up by brambles. I called 911 and the volunteer came and put it out. Never asked what happen as they had gotten three calls to come to brush fires while putting ours out. Mom banned tracer rpounds lol

TWOHunter 12-07-2017 04:18 PM

Left pretty much a brand new gas pole saw at the car wash.

Krivoman 12-07-2017 04:19 PM

Check the oil level in a generator that is running while wearing crocks and shorts with no shirt.. that was fun..

CabezaBlanca 12-07-2017 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krivoman (Post 12994960)
Check the oil level in a generator that is running while wearing crocks and shorts with no shirt.. that was fun..

LOL! I have a perfect vision of how that went!