Return To Bataan 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Return To Bataan 2017

This will be the third year in a row for me to return to White Sands to honor the sacrifice of the brave men and women who endured Hell on Earth during the fall of Bataan. This year will mark the 75th anniversary and probably one of the last times I'll be able to shake the hands of some of the survivors as there aren't that many left among us.

Training ruck #1 in the books this morning. We've got a much larger crew training this year (21 have signed up to start the training). I'm no longer leading the group as our fearless leader has returned from his one year deployment. But since the group is so large we will more than likely split the group by ability and pacing and he'll take one and I'll take the other.

Just a quick 5 miler today (40# in my ruck) to shake off the cobwebs and gently ease the rookies into rucking as a team. But I tell you, there was entirely too much sweating going on for the 28th of December.

Good for you. I had an uncle I never got to meet that dies on the death march.

Comment

75th anniversary of the death march coming up.

Comment

Good for you.

One my mother & father's friends was one of the survivors. They told me he was just over 6 foot tall and weighed about 180 pounds when he shipped out. When he got back home he weighed less than 100 pounds and only lived 6 months after returning home.

They paid an awful price for our freedom.

Comment

Tomorrow is game day at White Sands. 26.2 miles of remembrance. The Sergeant and I humped the route last year together. This year the Lance Corporal joins the team.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4055.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	24489402

Comment

Good luck man I have read every trip you have made. Keep the pics coming and my hats off to you.

Manwitaplan

Comment

A few years ago I met Abe Abrahims. He was a survivor of the Bataan death march. He wrote a few books about it. Even at his age he was full of p*ss and vinegar. One tough sob. He told stories of about Chesty Puller. That was one tough generation. We have digressed.

Comment

In for th day. Stupid hot. Recap to follow.

Comment

This is Kristen. I was fortunate and honored to pace Kristen during the 11 hours we spent on the course Sunday. Kristen rucked 26.2 miles through the high desert of New Mexico in 90+ degree heat in honor of the Battling *******s of Bataan. Kristen has asthma, and after a bout with Swine flu and a week in a coma lost a further 10% of her lung capacity. Kristen didn't let her physical problems define her. Kristen reached down deep and finished the fight. Kristen is strong beyond belief. Be like Kristen.

Name:	IMG_4083.jpg
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	24489725

Comment

Data dump from my Garmin. Recap and more pics tomorrow.

Name:	IMG_4087.jpg
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	24489767

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X