Washer Board building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Washer Board building

I was thinking about constructing a set of washer boards, specifically the rectangular style, with 3 holes.

Does anyone know what the standard dimensions for the boards should be? I know this game can very depending on who you play with. I was just looking for some plans to build or any suggestions based on what some of you'll have built.

Any information, ideas, or suggestions, would be great. Figured I'd take a shot on TBH as I'm sure there are a few washer players around here.

There really isn't a standard size. I will measure mine when I get home

Comment

At our family get togethers we play with two rectangular boards, 3 holes a peice, and a chain in between the two boards. Handle mounted on one side of each board for carrying, don't know dimensions..

Comment

ttt...can anyone help follow up on this please??

I have seen some boards that are flat and some with an angle...no official hole size?? I want to do this right the first time.

Any comments would be appreciated.

thanks,

Paul

~~~~~~~~~~

Also a bump for Cameron and his custom washers...he's making me a set and am getting ready to make the boards.

Comment

The official home page of the International Association of Washer Players, devoted to one of the world's greatest games.

Comment

Some info

All of our games include

All joints are counter screwed with 21/4" trim head screws for a super strong fit.

Our 7/16" OSB boards are held on by 14 1&5/8" screws.

The indoor / outdoor carpet is glued on the top of the board and stapled all around the bottom edges to be good and solid.

Our Washer Game Board measures 16"X36"

Our games include 2" Safety gate hooks to prevent accidental opening.

convenient retractable rope handles for ease of storage.

6 21/4" painted washers.

Also included are the full playing instructions in clear easy to read format.

Our washer game is perfect for all outdoor get togethers: barbeques, camping, picnics,boating, tailgating at the game even family reunions to keep the kids busy.

Game Setup

1. The two washer boards should be placed on a flat surface 30 feet apart for all games except the 3 hole board game which should be placed 10 feet apart from the front of the boards.

2. The preferred surface to play on is short grass.

3. During one-on-one competition, the first player will toss at a selected board while the second person follows from the same spot. After tallying scores, players will then pick up the washers thrown and throw to the other board. During two-on-two competitions, teammates will stay at the opposite board.

Player Positioning

1. Washers is a team game, each team will have a player situated at opposing washer game board unless the game is one-on-one, in which please see Section 3 under “Setup.”

2. Each player must throw their respective washers with both feet on the washer board. The foul line is the front of the board.

Scoring

1A. On the 3 hole washer board. The closest hole is worth one (1) point, the middle hole is worth three (3) points, and the furthest hole is worth five (5) points. Washers must drop into the hole completely to score. A thrown washer from either player can knock washers on the board in a hole. It is important to remember whose washers are on the board in case of a knock-in throw. The owner of the knocked-in washer receives the applicable score for the hole into which it was knocked.
            1B.On the 2 hole washer toss game (1) point for the inside of the game on the carpet, (2) points for the larger pipe and (3) points for the smaller pipe. There are no points for being close to the box Washers laying on the top edge of the box recieve no points unless it is knocked in by another washer during play.The owner of the knocked-in washer receives the applicable score for the hole into which it was knocked.
            1C. On the one hole washer toss game (1) point for the inside of the box and (3) points for the pipe in the middle.There are no points for being close to the box Washers laying on the top edge of the box recieve no points unless it is knocked in by another washer during play.The owner of the knocked-in washer receives the applicable score for the hole into which it was knocked.

2. Each player has a turn to throw three washers in each round. During one-on-one games, players will tally the score from that round and proceed to throw back at the other board. During two-on-two games, after a round is thrown and score is tallied, washers are then picked up and thrown by the other set of opponents.

Canceling Points

1. After a player has thrown three washers for their turn, the other player has the opportunity to cancel out the opponent's score.

2. For example, if Player A throws a washer in the first hole for 1 point, the middle hole for 3 points, and then misses the third shot, the score would be 4 points for Player A. However, the opposition, Player B, has a chance to cancel points from Player A's total during this round. If Player B throws a washer in the first hole for 1 point and the last hole for 5 points, and then misses the third shot, the score of the first round would be 5 to 3 in favor of Player B because the washers that landed in the first hole for one point cancelled each other out.

3. The cancel rule is counted only for turns in the same round. Both players must throw all their washers for a complete round.

Player Turns

1. The player or team to score last (no matter if the throw is cancelled or not) throws first in the next round.

2. A round consists of a player making three washer throws in a row as one turn, and then an opposing player making three washer throws in a row as the second turn. Thus, a round consists of two turns.

Skunk Rule

1. The skunk rule is in effect unless otherwise agreed upon by both teams before a game begins.

2. If a team outscores another team 11+to 0, then the team with zero is SKUNKED (they lose). The team that outscores the other team 11+ to 0, wins the game.

Winning

1. The first player or team to reach exactly twenty-one (21) points wins the game.

2. NOTE -- the round has to be complete and a player or team must reach exactly 21 points to win the game. Breaking the 21-point level creates a penalty situation (see section “Breaking 21 – Penalty”).

Breaking 21 - Penalty

1. Exceeding the winning point total of 21 results in a reduction of your starting score by the total number of points you made to break 21.

2. For example, if Player A has 18 points and throws a washer in the last hole for 5 points, then misses two shots, they or their team will go back to 13 points because the total number of points thrown during that turn exceeded 21 points and the points scored (5) is subtracted from the starting score (18) for that round.

3. During each round, if opponents make a washer in the same hole, it's just as if that washer was never thrown for both players. Scores are tallied at the end of each player's turn, and then adjusted for cancels at the end of the opponents turn. For example, if both players threw a five in the previous example, the score for Player A or his team would remain at 18 points.

These rules can be adjusted with any variation that you wish, but must be agreed on before a game begins.

Comment

I found some decent instructions from the web-site above. I'm about half way through building the standard 3 hole boards.

I changed up a few things, used mainly 2x4's instead of 1x2's for the frame, etc. However, I found the drawing and dimensions to be a good overall starting point.
              Last edited by CaptainDave; 05-19-2011, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X