Self-Bowyers, I need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self-Bowyers, I need help

I cut these Osage staves out of a big log about 5 years ago. I split the log, painted the ends and stored them in the ceiling of my carport to dry. Last year, I tore down the carport and moved the staves to a location on the ground resting on some supports to keep them off the ground. I pulled them out this weekend to see if they're salvageable. They are about 94 inches long. A couple of them have some pretty serious reflex (I think that's the proper term, see pics?) You can see some twist in some of them, almost 90 degrees. There are also some insect bore holes, but I don't think they go into the heart wood. I tried scraping off the white wood, dang it's hard and about 1/4 inch thick. Are these staves salvageable? Two of them are pretty straight. Any advice before I make a lot of shavings or do I have some good firewood? Thanks!

Never done it myself but there were some guys I knew that would go to some of the ranches around here, spend all day digging out and replacing old Osage fence post to build bows with, can't see where yours look any worse than theirs did.

Comment

I'm no pro for sure but alot is going to depend on how deep those checks into the sap wood go. Always a good idea to remove sap wood asap in my opinion. I'd just start and see where it leads me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Probably good fire wood. Peal sap wood off and take a look . If no checks after two heart wood growth rings you could get a bow. High back staves. Probably from about 6-8 inch tree. Not the best wood. I always incourage first timers to start with a really great stave for better , easier , success. Then move to the challenging staves. Arvin

Comment

You could maybe salvage them if you were experienced. I built a few character bows and the are a challenge for sure. If that was my wood I would cut it into slats and build some BBO's out of it.

Comment

Just knife that sap wood off and see. The only thing that could hurt you is if the worms made it in to the heart wood. I know people who make bows out of 100 year old Bodark fence posts. That stuff is tougher than you think. I would give it a try. What do have to lose?

Comment

X2 on the BBO's

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TMiddleton View Post
                X2 on the BBO's

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
                Okay, what is a BBO?

Making a selfbow is hard. Well, I think it is probably easier once you figure it out, but figuring it out can be a big challenge. I completely stalled out on my first because I ran into a brick wall when it came to needing to heat bend it. The unfinished stave is still sitting on my bow rack as a reminder that I tried and failed. It still eats at me when I look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                  Okay, what is a BBO?
                  Bamboo Backed Osage. It allows for less than perfect osage to still be turned into a very nice bow. The late Dean Torges had an excellent video out on how to build one. I am not saying DoubleB20's wood is unusable. Just that it is an option to keep in mind.

Comment

Swampy....bring that thing back to my house ..bet we can get it to bend.

Comment

The second picture actually looks real nice for Osage. Nice reflex. Doesn't appear to be a lot of propeller (twist). The holes in the sap wood won't make a difference. It does not appear to go into the heart wood. Even if it does, you will likely take off a few rings anyway. Finally, the growth rings (except that first heartwood ring) appear to be thick and evenly spaced. They look like easy rings to chase.

The backing with bamboo is an excellent suggestion, if there are issues with your staves. It will keep you from making firewood from them. That would be a waste. Even bad Osage can make a great bow with a little backing.

Comment

Thanks for the input fellas. I think I'm going to make all of them firewood except the one with the reflex, it has no twist.

Comment

Working...
                        X