Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much for a proven blood trailing dog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much for a proven blood trailing dog?

Just wondering how much a proven blood trailing dog? I do not care what breed the dog is. Im not looking for a champion trailing dog, just something young and has the general idea of what it needs to be doing. Something I can work with without having to start from scratch. I know thats alot to ask, but I was just wondering if yall had any ideas.

IMO I would stay away from scent hounds unless you are willing to hold on to a lead and be drug through thorns and cactus in the dark (I presently own 2 hounds that are no coon chasin, biscuit eatin, sleeping on the couch, good buddies of mine). I would recommend a "tough breed" of upland bird/game dog. They train easy to hunt with you rather than the mad dash and can be called off when needed. Wirehaired Griffon, German Wirehaired (see my avatar), Lab....... Like I said, it's only my opinion.
    Good luck

Comment

Actually I would go the complete opposite of what the previous poster mentioned. I would go with a hound or cur dog. Depending on what type of terrain you are hunting you can have a good handle on your dog and still be able to turn them loose and have them go on the trail with you following behind. There are many good cur dog breeds out there just depending on what you want. You arent going to find many proven blood tracking dogs for sale out there without paying a pretty penny for them. If it were me I would find a breeder that is raising dogs with blood tracking lines and get a puppy. If the puppy s worth its salt it will have the instinct and will just take alittle direction to get started. Once they have the general idea it is just a matter of keeping them going. I personally use a Blue Lacy and she does great both on and off lead. I use her both in the hill country and south texas .

Comment

sent you pm..

Jerryg

Comment

Jerryg That is a good question. Not to HIghjack his page. Please send updates!

Comment

If there is a person on God's green earth willing to let go of a (trained) tracking dog, I would think twice about the purchase. Now on the other hand, if they are looking to give a dog a home that they do not need, that is another story. Bottom line, no one will sell a (trained) tracking dog, they are worth their weight in gold. MO

Comment

I think you would have better luck finding a dog as a pup that comes from a tracking family. I don't see many finished dogs for sale. You could probably get one that has been started (blood trailed to a food bowl or treat). You can do this yourself after you have had the dog for a week or two and be at the same place.

Comment

Check out Abney Canine Training or Abney Catahoulas. I believe he gets $1000 for traing your pup for six weeks. So that should give you an idea of what a proven dog is worth.

Comment

Just be ware!! I had my Jack Russell sold for 3500.00 one time as a world champ hog dog. Problem is, she was a hell of a frog dog, no hog dog. Had no clue I was that good of a salesman. No I didn't do that to the guy!!! He still liked her. I would be catious while looking for sure! My friend purchased a Black Mouth Cur Catohula (close to that I'm sure) pup to train for blood trailing hogs and she was coming along very nicely.

Comment

I would rather start from scratch. That way I KNOW what I am getting. Like mentioned above, I would be very suspect of someone selling a finished dog.

Comment

What Kevin B. said. Buy a pup that way you can catch up to them. A pup from tracking blood will know more from natural instinct at 8 weeks of age than you ever will. instinct versus learned. JMO

Comment

There are some blue lacy pups for sale in the classifieds you might want to inquire on.

Comment

get John Jeanneney book, Tracking Dogs for finding Woounded Deer, decide if you want to trail on leash or lose/ tracking collar. I been around this going on 60 yr and the one breed that fits me best is the borader collie, get a pup, trail he yourself and you have a friend for life. Currenty i have a bule lacy and jagd terrier, the lacy just lost interest at about 2yr, the jagd is great but will get carried away without ecollar to control her, run into any hogs and she is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by old goat View Post
                            get John Jeanneney book, Tracking Dogs for finding Wounded Deer, decide if you want to trail on leash or lose/ tracking collar. I been around this going on 60 yr and the one breed that fits me best is the borader collie, get a pup, trail he yourself and you have a friend for life. Currenty i have a bule lacy and jagd terrier, the lacy just lost interest at about 2yr, the jagd is great but will get carried away without ecollar to control her, run into any hogs and she is gone.
                            excellent book! I have a copy myself.

I was also looking into the Jag D myself..... still have not made up my mind on the breed I will go with.

Comment

Catahoulas make VERY good tracking dogs...

Comment

Working...
                              X