TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Around the Campfire (http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How To Control Hog Population (http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646037)

Thumper 05-17-2017 07:51 AM

How To Control Hog Population
 
Mandatory hog trap in every section of land, 640 acres, where hogs are known to roam. Funded with grant monies out of the Pittman–Robertson Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act.;)b


What's you're solution?

Lynn21 05-17-2017 07:55 AM

Ted nugent and pigman in a helicopter with ar's and a pilot that served in Vietnam.

Thumper 05-17-2017 08:01 AM

Hog traps would be 1 to 2 acres with one way gates, they'd provide food, water, and cover. Grant monies would also cover labor costs, all costs.

Pushbutton2 05-17-2017 08:04 AM

Jäger Pro
https://jagerpro.com/hog-trapping/

Wireless Traps
http://wirelesstraps.com

Walker 05-17-2017 08:04 AM

Hog proof (if there is such a thing) around every deer feeder would be a good start.

stinkbelly 05-17-2017 08:07 AM

I wish I had hogs.

Maybe you guys could trap them and take them to my place.

Radar 05-17-2017 08:11 AM

http://www.iberianet.com/opinion/col...9bb2963f4.html

Gummy Bears:eek:

flywise 05-17-2017 08:13 AM

There is no large scale desire to control the population

RiverRat1 05-17-2017 08:14 AM

Market hog meat as lean organic pork. Open slaughter houses. Once demand goes up, price will follow and everyone will be tripping over themselves to trap and make money.

tward1604 05-17-2017 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverRat1 (Post 12432909)
Market hog meat as lean organic pork. Open slaughter houses. Once demand goes up, price will follow and everyone will be tripping over themselves to trap and make money.

yeah but then you have a bunch of schmucks out there ruining our hunting and tearing up everything to get to that pay dirt

DUKFVR 05-17-2017 08:30 AM

Leave them alone! LOL!

Brute Killer 05-17-2017 08:31 AM

I think the Texas government should develop special feeders that feed the hog special poison that turn their fat blue.

Playa 05-17-2017 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverRat1 (Post 12432909)
Market hog meat as lean organic pork. Open slaughter houses. Once demand goes up, price will follow and everyone will be [b]trespassing with dogs[\B]to make money.

Fixed it

Pushbutton2 05-17-2017 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brute Killer (Post 12432937)
I think the Texas government should develop special feeders that feed the hog special poison that turn their fat blue.


[emoji87][emoji51]
You don't say!!
Sounds like a great idea.
But then wouldn't all the feral hogs be kaput [emoji6]
[emoji16]



Lol

DJM 05-17-2017 08:46 AM

All land owners should allow free and total,unlimited access to anybody....... all of the time to hunt hogs.

Let me hang my boat oar back up.:D


DJ

Cajun Blake 05-17-2017 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn21 (Post 12432879)
Ted nugent and pigman in a helicopter with ar's and a pilot that served in Vietnam.


pretty sure the Vietnam vet would throw Ted out of the bird

my vote would be for wounded military heroes to handle this mission

Operation Search n Destroy

CastAndBlast 05-17-2017 08:55 AM

State wide bounty

RiverRat1 05-17-2017 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverRat1 (Post 12432909)
Market hog meat as lean organic pork. Open slaughter houses. Once demand goes up, price will follow and everyone will be tripping over themselves to trap and make money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tward1604 (Post 12432925)
yeah but then you have a bunch of schmucks out there ruining our hunting and tearing up everything to get to that pay dirt

?? I don't get it. How or why?

Brute Killer 05-17-2017 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CastAndBlast (Post 12433008)
State wide bounty

I would love to see that. I can make some good pocket change on our place.

Brute Killer 05-17-2017 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CastAndBlast (Post 12433008)
State wide bounty

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brute Killer (Post 12433054)
I would love to see that. I can make some good pocket change on our place.

No money in that for Sid Miller, though.

Ricochet83 05-17-2017 09:18 AM

I also would be a huge fan of the state wide bounty. Should be able to take the tail and ear or head or whatever to you local TPWD office and collect.

yanta61 05-17-2017 09:48 AM

Poisoning is probably the only way to ever get a handle on them...

No sure if a bounty would do much good. you can already trap and sell them and i don't see too many people running out and trapping them.

Back when i was in college we used to murder them...We ran dogs 2-3 times a week and had up to 40 traps set and sold a bunch. We also shot them on site. We had a lot of farm land and they still trashed all the corn fields. Farmers hired a Helicopter and killed over 100 in the first 2 hrs. They ended up renting the heli twice a month and killed a bunch of pigs. They ended up buying their own heli and still kill tons of pigs.

So no shooting, trapping, doggin and heli's wont do it.....

lab man 05-17-2017 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CastAndBlast (Post 12433008)
State wide bounty

x2

RiverRat1 05-17-2017 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanta61 (Post 12433162)
Poisoning is probably the only way to ever get a handle on them...

No sure if a bounty would do much good. you can already trap and sell them and i don't see too many people running out and trapping them.

Back when i was in college we used to murder them...We ran dogs 2-3 times a week and had up to 40 traps set and sold a bunch. We also shot them on site. We had a lot of farm land and they still trashed all the corn fields. Farmers hired a Helicopter and killed over 100 in the first 2 hrs. They ended up renting the heli twice a month and killed a bunch of pigs. They ended up buying their own heli and still kill tons of pigs.

So no shooting, trapping, doggin and heli's wont do it.....

If we ate them or liked to eat them like they do overseas prices would be double or triple. I bet people would trap them a heck of a lot more for triple what the price is today. Of course most won't trap them for 30-50 cents per pount..But $1.50 per lb there would be traps everywhere.

Brute Killer 05-17-2017 10:15 AM

To trap and sell a live hog is a lot more involved than shooting them dead and cutting their ear off for proof of kill.

phibob808 05-17-2017 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverRat1 (Post 12433188)
If we ate them or liked to eat them like they do overseas prices would be double or triple. I bet people would trap them a heck of a lot more for triple what the price is today. Of course most won't trap them for 30-50 cents per pount..But $1.50 per lb there would be traps everywhere.



Your right, if the price per pound would go up, i would have all kinds of traps set.

fullsizeaggie 05-17-2017 10:35 AM

One method will not do it. A little of everything should be implemented.

Jason Slocum 05-17-2017 10:37 AM

People need to quit feeding corn year round. Anyone notice the direct correlation between number of people starting to feed year round, and the number of pigs increasing?

Rustyford 05-17-2017 10:37 AM

;)b
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn21 (Post 12432879)
Ted nugent and pigman in a helicopter with ar's and a pilot that served in Vietnam.

;)b

Bumpy 05-17-2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Slocum (Post 12433336)
People need to quit feeding corn year round. Anyone notice the direct correlation between number of people starting to feed year round, and the number of pigs increasing?

Folks need to put panels around their feeders

randal 05-17-2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stinkbelly (Post 12432900)
I wish I had hogs.

Maybe you guys could trap them and take them to my place.

I didn't have them the 20 years on my old lease but my lease I'm on now does and it's a lot more fun..

gonehuntin68 05-17-2017 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanta61 (Post 12433162)
Poisoning is probably the only way to ever get a handle on them...

No sure if a bounty would do much good. you can already trap and sell them and i don't see too many people running out and trapping them.

Back when i was in college we used to murder them...We ran dogs 2-3 times a week and had up to 40 traps set and sold a bunch. We also shot them on site. We had a lot of farm land and they still trashed all the corn fields. Farmers hired a Helicopter and killed over 100 in the first 2 hrs. They ended up renting the heli twice a month and killed a bunch of pigs. They ended up buying their own heli and still kill tons of pigs.

So no shooting, trapping, doggin and heli's wont do it.....

I would do a pretty dang good job if everyone was doing all 4 but that will never happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Slocum (Post 12433336)
People need to quit feeding corn year round. Anyone notice the direct correlation between number of people starting to feed year round, and the number of pigs increasing?

So I guess you also want to see a reduction in the overall deer population because if everyone stops feeding year round there will also be less food for deer and thus less deer. A better idea would be to require hog proof feed pens around every feeder. With all that said, I don't want to see the pigs wiped out as I would rather hunt them then deer and they taste better IMO.

dustoffer 05-17-2017 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brute Killer (Post 12433256)
To trap and sell a live hog is a lot more involved than shooting them dead and cutting their ear off for proof of kill.

Yep--gates, ramps, trailers, and a place to sell them. Trapped two this AM, both boars. One was 70 or so on the hoof and the other was around 100. Nearest buyer I know of is 30+ miles away so add 3+ gallons of gas, mileage on the truck, and time, and it isn't worth it unless you've got a bunch of them.

RiverRat1 05-17-2017 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brute Killer (Post 12433256)
To trap and sell a live hog is a lot more involved than shooting them dead and cutting their ear off for proof of kill.

Yes, but a 200# live hog could sell for $300. How much will the State give you for a bounty? $5? And then your tax money pays that $5. The $300 would come from organic all natural shoppers LOL

RiverRat1 05-17-2017 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustoffer (Post 12433373)
Yep--gates, ramps, trailers, and a place to sell them. Trapped two this AM, both boars. One was 70 or so on the hoof and the other was around 100. Nearest buyer I know of is 30+ miles away so add 3+ gallons of gas, mileage on the truck, and time, and it isn't worth it unless you've got a bunch of them.

Which is why I said the solution may be for the State to push for slaughterhouses or at least a way to easier sell them to people who want them in other countries.

They're a great food source and way under priced. Instead of food stamps give hog meat LOL

Brute Killer 05-17-2017 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverRat1 (Post 12433384)
Yes, but a 200# live hog could sell for $300. How much will the State give you for a bounty? $5? And then your tax money pays that $5. The $300 would come from organic all natural shoppers LOL

Yes, at that theoretical price it would be more economically viable to trap live ones.

Jason Slocum 05-17-2017 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonehuntin68 (Post 12433371)
So I guess you also want to see a reduction in the overall deer population because if everyone stops feeding year round there will also be less food for deer and thus less deer. A better idea would be to require hog proof feed pens around every feeder. With all that said, I don't want to see the pigs wiped out as I would rather hunt them then deer and they taste better IMO.

I'm perfectly fine with seeing a reduced deer population. I sit a feeders where 30+ deer show up every feeding. I also don't complain about the overpopulation of pigs. Don't want pigs on your property, don't give them a reason to be there 24/7. I can shoot pigs every night in grain fields down in corpus, but the last two years the farmer has planted cotton vs sorghum and he has no rooting or crop damage. Pretty simple concept.

gingib 05-17-2017 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walker (Post 12432895)
Hog proof (if there is such a thing) around every deer feeder would be a good start.

Hmmmmm. So please explain how this would prevent them from populating

Skinny 05-17-2017 12:12 PM

Halon 32

gingib 05-17-2017 12:20 PM

I have trapped almost 30 this year and killed over 100 I bet. Alot of fun with thermal and a big portable trap.

I don't have hardly any on camera anymore, so working on neighbors places now.

Never will eliminate them

dbpredator 05-17-2017 12:22 PM

When I moved here near the red river 10+ years ago there were lots of pigs damaging the fields. People started to kill and trap them and the last couple of years we have had very little to no pigs here. Everyone quit going after them and lately we have started seeing a little sign again,but I think a couple of months of hunting will keep them away again.

Lynn21 05-17-2017 12:44 PM

Put a 60 lb sows backstrap on the grill with onion, squash, and Cajun seasoning all wrapped up in tin foil and you'll wish you had a lease full of em.

gonehuntin68 05-17-2017 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
So I guess you also want to see a reduction in the overall deer population because if everyone stops feeding year round there will also be less food for deer and thus less deer. A better idea would be to require hog proof feed pens around every feeder. With all that said, I don't want to see the pigs wiped out as I would rather hunt them then deer and they taste better IMO.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Slocum (Post 12433528)
I'm perfectly fine with seeing a reduced deer population. I sit a feeders where 30+ deer show up every feeding. I also don't complain about the overpopulation of pigs. Don't want pigs on your property, don't give them a reason to be there 24/7. I can shoot pigs every night in grain fields down in corpus, but the last two years the farmer has planted cotton vs sorghum and he has no rooting or crop damage. Pretty simple concept.

I understand the concept and that is why I said we would be better off making it mandatory to have feed pens around feeders vs no feed in the off season especially during the prime time for antler growth. I honestly don't think you have really thought this through and all the animals that would die if year round feeding was stopped and I'm not just talking about deer and pigs, it's all animals that benefit from year round feeding.

gingib 05-17-2017 12:57 PM

If we stopped feeding animals WOULD NOT die.....This is false.


Many places and areas don't feed and animals thrive. Animals are part of nature, which has survived long before humans started feeding corn and protein

TX_Hoghunter 05-17-2017 01:05 PM

Just a heads up for some of you folks.....hogs quickly learn what a trap is. At first you will normally have a lot of success but after that they learn to eat right up to the door and then stop. Hogs are a lot smarter than some of you give them credit for. I would be fine with a bounty simply because of the extra money it would earn me...LOL.

-john

gingib 05-17-2017 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TX_Hoghunter (Post 12433845)
Just a heads up for some of you folks.....hogs quickly learn what a trap is. At first you will normally have a lot of success but after that they learn to eat right up to the door and then stop. Hogs are a lot smarter than some of you give them credit for. I would be fine with a bounty simply because of the extra money it would earn me...LOL.

-john

The bounty is nice....up to over $1300 this year:D

Yes they are smart. Best to load them out and not shoot them in trap

Bumpy 05-17-2017 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingib (Post 12433826)
If we stopped feeding animals WOULD NOT die.....This is false.


Many places and areas don't feed and animals thrive. Animals are part of nature, which has survived long before humans started feeding corn and protein

Dumbest thing I've read saying If you stop feeding deer will die.

gingib 05-17-2017 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpy (Post 12433867)
Dumbest thing I've read saying If you stop feeding deer will die.

Let me correct myself I think I contradicted myself.

My statement is: If we all stop feeding corn/protein NO animals would die as result

speck1 05-17-2017 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stinkbelly (Post 12432900)
I wish I had hogs.

Maybe you guys could trap them and take them to my place.

Be careful what you wish for! All of our places are covered in hogs right now. It is a nightmare. They moved in to my parents place recently. 30 years with no hogs and now everywhere. You are welcome to come catch them.

Bumpy 05-19-2017 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingib (Post 12433872)
Let me correct myself I think I contradicted myself.

My statement is: If we all stop feeding corn/protein NO animals would die as result

I was agreeing with you I was disagreeing with the other fella.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com