TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Goat/Sheep Feed vs. Deer Protein (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140782)

holdin4horns 04-30-2010 01:03 PM

Goat/Sheep Feed vs. Deer Protein
 
I have read several articles and done a little research and found that most deer protein contains approx 16% protein. Most Sheep and Goat feed contains at least 16% and up to 20% protein. Not a big deal. However...

The advantage is the price. Sheep/Goat feed can be HALF as much as the deer protein. Also, most "deer" or "wildlife" protein is remnant feed not passing certain criteria for livestock, and is marketed and sold under the label of deer and wildlife feed. So it appears that we are buying a second rate product for twice the price????

I'm thinking about using sheep/goat feed (20% protein) at our lease this year. Same or better quality and can afford more at a cheaper price than usual.

Does anyone currently use sheep/goat feed instead of deer protein??

wellingtontx 04-30-2010 04:49 PM

holdin - contact Cary Zipp at the feed mill over in Gorman where they make Red Chain Feeds. He is the nutrionist at the mill. They price out deer protein probably just as cheap as goat/sheep feed (approx $7 to $7.50 for 50lbs). He can also answer your questions regarding comparison.

Mike Murphey 04-30-2010 04:55 PM

There is a difference (in minerals) used in Deer Protein than for Sheep/Goat.....

El Jeffe 04-30-2010 04:58 PM

I tried that route a few years ago and they would clean it up in Liberty Hill at my dads place. Tried it out at lake georgetown and they would not touch it.

Tubby 04-30-2010 08:40 PM

adios! ;)b

Skinny 04-30-2010 08:54 PM

I feed cattle feed to deer. A 50# sack of mixed grain goes for about $3.50. It is 16% protein. It contains a mix of rolled corn, milo, cottonseed meal, hulls, and pellets, molasses, and a few other ingredients I am sure. We buy it by the ton. The deer go nuts over it.

holdin4horns 05-01-2010 01:08 PM

cattle feed? Interesting. Ill be heading out this next weekend, loading up with protein to start the summer!

Ill be doing some more research before then, just curious if anyone was trying other forms of protein.

Thanks!

wellingtontx 05-01-2010 03:53 PM

hogdude - what kind of feed are you buying for $3.50 per 50lbs and where ? I cant buy whole oats for that price.

mhbaseball 05-02-2010 10:50 PM

yes where are you buying cattle feed that is 16% protein for that cost?

Lung Shooter 05-02-2010 11:02 PM

From what I understand sheep feed does not have copper in it, I have heard this can cause problems for deer. I am no expert but something for you too look into.

canny 05-03-2010 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lung Shooter (Post 2472767)
From what I understand sheep feed does not have copper in it, I have heard this can cause problems for deer. I am no expert but something for you too look into.

Exactly, sheep have alot lower copper requirement than deer. Feeding sheep feed to deer can potentially lead to a copper deficiency. Remember the protein % is not the only thing that comes into play for deer. The micro and macro minerals found in true deer feed aren't found in sheep/cattle feed. These minerals are very important and are used for everything from anter growth to immune, respiratory, and circulatory system maintenance.

mhbaseball 05-03-2010 12:38 PM

good points but still protein for $4 or less cant be beat. Would be curious to hear back from the guy who uses it with the results he sees?

wellingtontx 05-03-2010 05:07 PM

Re: Goat/Sheep Feed vs. Deer Protein
 
I don't know of any protein that can be bought for less than $4 per bag. Sweet feed is around $5.75 to $7.00 per bag; however, sweet feed is not protein. Red chain deer protein runs about $7.50 and that is about as cheap as I have seen deer protein.

bcdawg1 05-03-2010 05:25 PM

Have fed 20% sheep/goat pellets for the last couple years in the hill country, deer hammer it. In comparing labels side by side with 20% deer pellets from the same mill the goat pellets had a slightly higher fat content and about half the vitamin A content, only detectable difference from the labels. The goat/sheep pellets were larger diameter than the deer pellets but the deer chewed them up just the same.

Just my opinion and am sure many will disagree, but if my deer were in a pen and eating nothing but protein I could be concerned about differences in trace minerals but am feeding free range deer and the pellets are only part of their diet.

Am also interested in where to get 16% cattle feed for $3.50/bag as I will feed it in a heartbeat if I can get it for that. The sheep/goat pellets I have been buying run about $1.50 per bag cheaper than the deer pellets, around $7/bag.

holdin4horns 05-03-2010 05:59 PM

I think we still need to keep in mind this is supplimental wildlife feed. I dont think changing the deers' suplimental feed diet (reducing copper/mineral content) would have an adverse affect on their digestion or health.

They are still wild animals who are not exclusively feeding from deer feeders. Before automatic deer feeders came about, the deer didnt have copper deficiencies, right???

It sounds like right now the best option is either this cattle feed (if we can clarify the cost and location) or the Red Label protein.

canny 05-03-2010 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcdawg1 (Post 2474405)
Have fed 20% sheep/goat pellets for the last couple years in the hill country, deer hammer it. In comparing labels side by side with 20% deer pellets from the same mill the goat pellets had a slightly higher fat content and about half the vitamin A content, only detectable difference from the labels. The goat/sheep pellets were larger diameter than the deer pellets but the deer chewed them up just the same.

Just my opinion and am sure many will disagree, but if my deer were in a pen and eating nothing but protein I could be concerned about differences in trace minerals but am feeding free range deer and the pellets are only part of their diet.

Am also interested in where to get 16% cattle feed for $3.50/bag as I will feed it in a heartbeat if I can get it for that. The sheep/goat pellets I have been buying run about $1.50 per bag cheaper than the deer pellets, around $7/bag.

Places that have deer in pens, do not feed just protein. Their feed is a balanced feed that meets all the deers needs when it comes to nutrition. Thi

Quote:

Originally Posted by holdin4horns (Post 2474510)
I think we still need to keep in mind this is supplimental wildlife feed. I dont think changing the deers' suplimental feed diet (reducing copper/mineral content) would have an adverse affect on their digestion or health.
They are still wild animals who are not exclusively feeding from deer feeders. Before automatic deer feeders came about, the deer didnt have copper deficiencies, right???
It sounds like right now the best option is either this cattle feed (if we can clarify the cost and location) or the Red Label protein.

True that it is supplemental feed, however during high stress periods especially in the summer they will consume a large amount of feed, assuming you dont have good spring/summer plots.

This comes into play because when deer are stressed their antler production goes down due to having to maintain other body functions. If you feed addresses these functions with the proper minerals and nutrients then there shouldn't be a noticeable decrease in antler growth during the stress periods.

In regards to the automatic feeders and copper deficiencies. No deer did not nor do they have copper deficiencies due to automatic feeders. This is because corn, i'm assuming, doesnt have any nutritional value for deer except carbohydrates.

mhbaseball 05-04-2010 02:37 PM

But if you can get 16 protein from cattle grain in a 50 lb bag like hogdude said...who can turn down a 50 lb bag for $4??? I sure cant especially when it has a mixture of corn/cottonseed....both of which deer love. I would love to hear where he gets this???

Hawkpuppy 1 05-04-2010 04:22 PM

You can feed a sheep feed to free range deer. I would suggest using the 20% in a free range environment. Deer consume about 4% of their body weight per day. Studies have shown that of that 4%, only about 1-2% will be of a supplemental form. Still have to manage your habitat right. The big differences in sheep vs. deer feeds are the fiber content, fat content and mineral package. I don't think you could ever develop a mineral difficiency on free range deer by feedign a supplement unless the existing conditions were already so bad that it was a pre-existing condition.

Dave

mhbaseball 05-05-2010 02:39 PM

good post hawkpuppy!!!!! Didnt know that.

holdin4horns 05-08-2010 11:51 PM

Well I ended up finding some stuff here in Abilene (Antler Plus) deer protein for $8 per 50 lb bag. I did my research, contacting several guys in town, but the cheapest livestock feed anyone had with 16% protein was 7.50 per bag, and typically were in 1/2 inch cube size. I decided to pay the .50 a bag and go with the Antler Plus deer protein.

Still, $8 versus what i typically pay was well worth the phone calls!!

Thanks

wellingtontx 05-09-2010 12:24 AM

Goat/Sheep Feed vs. Deer Protein
 
I think you made a wise choice.

Still wondering about the "mystery" protein for sub $4.00 per bag.

AntlerMax 05-09-2010 10:33 PM

I just LOVE discussions like this one....

Especially when people read tags and think that one brand is better than the other based on the tag alone...

It's the things that AREN'T on the Tag that are important... like where the sources of Protein come from and how readily they are digestible to the animal... and the balance of Macro and Micro Nutrients and what source they are from...

If you'd like to see a pellet that is 18% Protein, 4.5% Fat and 16% Fiber, I've got one in a jar on my desk....

If you send it off to a lab, the analysis will come back EXACTLY what the tag says it is...

but just don't look at the ingredients....

They're made from Wood Chips, Clay, 10W30 Motor Oil and Lawn Fertilizer....!

.
.
... Carry On....!

Skinny 05-09-2010 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellingtontx (Post 2488952)
I think you made a wise choice.

Still wondering about the "mystery" protein for sub $4.00 per bag.

It is $5.00 a bag now!!! Gotta buy it by the ton though!!! The deer are very attracted to it. Wheather it grows big racks and/or gives the deer what they need, I am not sure. There is so much native browse around here it would be impossible to pinpoint the most beneficial source of nutrition they eat. But it grows the heck outta our bulls!!! I first realized the deer liked the feed by seeing them at the creep feeder eating it. I put some in a gravity feeder and the deer ate it up.

kfd82 05-24-2010 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hogdude1234 (Post 2490507)
It is $5.00 a bag now!!! Gotta buy it by the ton though!!! The deer are very attracted to it. Wheather it grows big racks and/or gives the deer what they need, I am not sure. There is so much native browse around here it would be impossible to pinpoint the most beneficial source of nutrition they eat. But it grows the heck outta our bulls!!! I first realized the deer liked the feed by seeing them at the creep feeder eating it. I put some in a gravity feeder and the deer ate it up.

What is it (what brand and feed name) and where do you get it?

lovemylegacy 05-26-2010 07:04 AM

All-stock sweet feed, mixed with corn.

Codie 05-26-2010 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holdin4horns (Post 2488904)
Well I ended up finding some stuff here in Abilene (Antler Plus) deer protein for $8 per 50 lb bag. I did my research, contacting several guys in town, but the cheapest livestock feed anyone had with 16% protein was 7.50 per bag, and typically were in 1/2 inch cube size. I decided to pay the .50 a bag and go with the Antler Plus deer protein.

Still, $8 versus what i typically pay was well worth the phone calls!!

Thanks

If you ever want to get the Red Chain protien (which is about the cheapest protien I have found, try 4 h Feed on why 180 E in Breckenridge. A freind of mine from high school owns it. I use them for all my feed, but I am using ADM Alliance Nutrition "Rack Plus" feed and the deer are LOVING it. $360/ton right now

raiderelkhunter 05-26-2010 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hogdude1234 (Post 2490507)
It is $5.00 a bag now!!! Gotta buy it by the ton though!!! The deer are very attracted to it. Wheather it grows big racks and/or gives the deer what they need, I am not sure. There is so much native browse around here it would be impossible to pinpoint the most beneficial source of nutrition they eat. But it grows the heck outta our bulls!!! I first realized the deer liked the feed by seeing them at the creep feeder eating it. I put some in a gravity feeder and the deer ate it up.

Not true. Land evaluation and have the browse and forbs tested for protein content....a pain in the rear, but not impossible...:D

wellingtontx 05-27-2010 01:22 PM

Hogdude - again, where is it that you are buying this mystery protein for now $5.00 (originally stated as $3.50) per bag ? Even if it is by the ton.

mhbaseball 05-27-2010 03:46 PM

PM him and he will tell you. He told me but I have since deleted the PM sicne it wasnt within driving distance of me.

RiverRat00 12-15-2016 10:30 PM

What is the current price of protein per Lb?

timoub007 12-15-2016 10:36 PM

I'm paying $18.50 per hundred pounds of bulk ACCO. My feed store in Junction delivers it straight to my feeders for a $60 fee, so about another dollar per 100 pounds since their trailer holds about 6,000 pounds. This is 18-20% protein as the mix varies at different times of the year.

Tim

RiverRat00 12-15-2016 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timoub007 (Post 12018262)
I'm paying $18.50 per hundred pounds of bulk ACCO. My feed store in Junction delivers it straight to my feeders for a $60 fee, so about another dollar per 100 pounds since their trailer holds about 6,000 pounds. This is 18-20% protein as the mix varies at different times of the year.

Tim



That's not a bad price.. And what month of the year so you feed protein?

timoub007 12-16-2016 07:31 AM

Now that I have a hammer device on one of my feeders (acquired this summer from Mike) I do not stop. Prior to this year, we would last fill the free choice feeders in September, timed so that they would run empty just as bow season was opening. Then we would have them refilled the first week of December. So we were feeding 10 months. Now this season they were getting 40 pounds per day from the hammer and never really went without.

We had WBC scheduled to come fill all of the feeders last Monday, 12/6, but due to the rains we had the ranch was too wet all of last week. They were able to get in this week and now all the critters are happy. Should help the axis get their antlers kicking!

Will make hunting this weekend and new year's weekend a little tougher, but better overall to get everything through these cold fronts.

T

gtsticker 12-19-2016 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcdawg1 (Post 2474405)
Have fed 20% sheep/goat pellets for the last couple years in the hill country, deer hammer it. In comparing labels side by side with 20% deer pellets from the same mill the goat pellets had a slightly higher fat content and about half the vitamin A content, only detectable difference from the labels. The goat/sheep pellets were larger diameter than the deer pellets but the deer chewed them up just the same.

Just my opinion and am sure many will disagree, but if my deer were in a pen and eating nothing but protein I could be concerned about differences in trace minerals but am feeding free range deer and the pellets are only part of their diet.

Am also interested in where to get 16% cattle feed for $3.50/bag as I will feed it in a heartbeat if I can get it for that. The sheep/goat pellets I have been buying run about $1.50 per bag cheaper than the deer pellets, around $7/bag.

What brand of feed and where do you get it?

pilar 01-22-2018 09:55 AM

Recycle
 
Recycling
I just checked our local brands and really can't find a difference between goat and deer pellets, same protein, same minerals, same fiber, my deer are wild and don't live on pellets solely :p

fullsizeaggie 01-22-2018 05:03 PM

tagged

BrandonA 01-22-2018 06:33 PM

I need to look into this. As mention above it is a supplement

lovemylegacy 01-26-2018 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holdin4horns (Post 2467881)
I have read several articles and done a little research and found that most deer protein contains approx 16% protein. Most Sheep and Goat feed contains at least 16% and up to 20% protein. Not a big deal. However...

The advantage is the price. Sheep/Goat feed can be HALF as much as the deer protein. Also, most "deer" or "wildlife" protein is remnant feed not passing certain criteria for livestock, and is marketed and sold under the label of deer and wildlife feed. So it appears that we are buying a second rate product for twice the price????

I'm thinking about using sheep/goat feed (20% protein) at our lease this year. Same or better quality and can afford more at a cheaper price than usual.

Does anyone currently use sheep/goat feed instead of deer protein??

I have in the past. Used cattle/calf sweet feed also.

Radar 01-28-2018 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovemylegacy (Post 2536603)
All-stock sweet feed, mixed with corn.

This would be a dry sweet feed? Do you have problems with ants in the summer?

Mike Murphey 01-29-2018 11:00 AM

We have been feeding protein to our deer for many, many years. I can tell you feeding protein and cheap are not even in the same sentence. We have tried many different brands through the years. Something that is not being said all proteins are not alike. We have tried an off brand that the deer ate it like there was no tomorrow to expensive brands that deer ate it the same as the others.
Looking at the tags will not lead you to much information as the tags only tell you what is required by law.
We tried Purina Antler max and didn't see much to it except broken main beams during the rut. We are currently feeding L/E and seeing much improvement in antlers and weight in our mature deer. L/E sent out a biologist to the ranch free of charge just to look over our browse and what the deer would eat. They came up with a plan on what to feed depending on the season and range conditions. So depending on rainfall amounts, amount of browse we get our protein at different levels (%) of protein throughout the year. L/E is the only company that does this for us. And also contact you during the year to see how things are progressing.
We are a low fence operation with Bowhunting as the only option. This year we took a 170" ten point that weighed 212 lbs live weight.
I can tell you % protein is not the only thing you need to think about. On our 3800 acres we feed about 65K+lbs per year of protein L/E pellets and about 5 tons cotton seed in 8 feed pens, (free range). About 1 protein station for every 475 acres, and need to add more stations to get to 1 station per 250 acres. AS you can see it gets expensive but if are limiting the amount that the deer eat then you are spinning your wheels and not getting the benefit you desire from your deer herd.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com