Colorado/Austin County Turkey Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colorado/Austin County Turkey Numbers

We have been on our place inbetween Columbus and Industry for 16 months. I do not have a single trail camera picture of a turkey and I have never seen one with my eyes. I have heard them and have found an occasional feather in the pastures.

Not sure if numbers are light in this county or if it is just my area. Helping turkey numbers is something I am implementing into my habitat management plan.

What has your experience been like with turkey numbers in Austin & Colorado County?

I'm just west of New Ulm and we used to catch them A LOT on camera but my experience is that their numbers have steadily declined over the last 4-5 years. Don't hear as much, barely see them on camera, and never see them with my eyes any more.

Comment

That's a shame, hate hearing that. Hopefully, the numbers will pick back up.

Comment

I’ve seen two turkey in 8 years. Just north of you in Washington Co. Saw them both in same day. About 3 miles apart.

Comment

I grew up in Austin County, although I left after I graduated 31 years ago and haven’t spent much time there since, but I have never seen a turkey there or in surrounding areas. I’m excited to hear you’ve seen some at least.

Comment

I just saw 1 hen on my way home the other day about 4 miles north of New Ulm. Im new to the area but its the first one ive seen and I had a game cam over my corn feeder for about 6 months straight until recently. I dont think there are many, but I hope they rebound.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

My wife’s family has land right outside New Ulm and they’ve indicated a greater presence of coyotes the last few years. Might have something to do with the lower turkey population. It certainly hasn’t helped the deer.

Comment

I am surprised there is a season in Colorado co.
                Given my experiences there.

BP

Comment

Tpwd used to release turkeys along tge duration of the san bernard river that starts in new ulm all the way to sweeny but supposedly the ants, coons, and bobcats make it nearly impossible for them to repopulate

Comment

Im near new ulm too, small world didnt expect so many locals.

Coyotes, coons, and hogs are really bad in the area. I think thats a major part of the problem. I killed almost 60 coons on 230 acres last year. Trying to take more this year. Going to run traps hard and keep killing predators.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                      My wife’s family has land right outside New Ulm and they’ve indicated a greater presence of coyotes the last few years. Might have something to do with the lower turkey population. It certainly hasn’t helped the deer.
                      Exactly!

Comment

In four years on my place I've gotten one picture of a jake and I've seen a hen twice in one week. I think between the bobcats, coons and the neighbors dogs they don't have a chance at getting established.

Comment

We have a few near shelby and I have seen a bunch in the Colorado river bottom near ellinger.

Comment

I live north of Sheridan and I have a flock of about 50 birds that hang around my place. The numbers have steadily increased since I've owned the place (14 years). Sorry I'd post pics but can't. They com right into my front yard almost every day.

Comment

Our place is near the Crossroads in Cat Spring. The previous owner and the neighbors both say turkeys show up about once a year there for about a week and move on.

Comment

Working...
                              X