TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Rice bran v. Protein as attractant (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=683484)

Txhuntr2 02-22-2018 12:39 PM

Rice bran v. Protein as attractant

We feed corn and will start feeding cottonseed full time. But I want to add something else to my feed pens as a pure attractant. Thinking about a timed protein trough feeder (A.S., Lamco, HB) or the Fortress timed rice bran feeder.

Which would you chooses as the better attractant in South Texas?

Rice Bran or Protein

bbqfan5909 02-22-2018 12:48 PM

For pure attractant, rice bran gets my vote.

8pointer 02-22-2018 12:51 PM

I highly recommend feeding protein out of a Lamco timed protein feeder. We added them to our pens this past year, so we could feed protein during season as an attractant. I stopped free choice during season, to not encourage feeding at night. It didn’t take long for the deer to get used to the trough feeder. If you go that route, I would recommend setting your timer relatively low until they get used to it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...365c4bf002.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BolilloLoco 02-24-2018 04:44 PM

I have no experience with rice bran in South Texas. But protein will definitely bring deer into your area. Free choice and as much as you can afford to feed.

PYBUCK 02-24-2018 05:07 PM

I would think it would be next to impossible to feed rice bran out of a timed feeder. If you can prove me wrong, i would love to see how you are doing it.

TTU TX Hunter 02-24-2018 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PYBUCK (Post 13210294)
I would think it would be next to impossible to feed rice bran out of a timed feeder. If you can prove me wrong, i would love to see how you are doing it.

I believe the only way to do so right now is with those fortress feeders. I just dump it on the ground while hunting.

RascalArms 02-24-2018 05:30 PM

Quote:

Been done

Quote:

Originally Posted by TTU TX Hunter (Post 13210305)
I believe the only way to do so right now is with those fortress feeders. I just dump it on the ground while hunting.

Yessir....they are pricey that’s for sure!

https://www.fortressfeeders.com
http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...light=Fortress

blntrey3 02-25-2018 09:06 AM

Both

SBESTX 03-01-2018 04:11 PM

Have you tried rice bran yet? I'd try dumping it on the ground first before buying an expensive feeder. I tried it in Llano this season and the deer didn't touch it. I tried several flavors readily available in La. Must be something lacking in the pineywoods, cause they devour a 50 lbs. sack in 2 days up here in NE La. Check into the bran bag as an option to a feeder.

alack392 03-23-2018 08:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
They love Rice Bran in East Texas. The deer in my area will clean up 50 lbs in less than a week.

RR 314 03-23-2018 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBESTX (Post 13223233)
Have you tried rice bran yet? I'd try dumping it on the ground first before buying an expensive feeder. I tried it in Llano this season and the deer didn't touch it. I tried several flavors readily available in La. Must be something lacking in the pineywoods, cause they devour a 50 lbs. sack in 2 days up here in NE La. Check into the bran bag as an option to a feeder.

Man, the Llano deer squatting on my land love rice bran. I have never seen flavored bulk bran, but they fight each other over the plain stuff I put out.

jshouse 03-23-2018 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blntrey3 (Post 13211402)
Both

;)bmix it together

skipetex 04-02-2018 01:57 PM

You guys using the timed protein feeders, how much do you try to feed per time it goes off?

Freer 04-02-2018 02:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
the deer on my place in Webb county go straight to rice bran. I put out 100lbs at a time in a barrel cut in half long ways. Last 2-3 weeks.

Arrow Slinger 04-05-2018 03:47 PM

Ttt

Hornfan 04-05-2018 11:13 PM

Where can you get rice bran? We have farms in collin and wise counties.

jshouse 04-06-2018 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hornfan (Post 13297151)
Where can you get rice bran? We have farms in collin and wise counties.

try collin county feed. i get it at mitchells in royse city, its about $9 a bag. tractor supply has something called rice bran but it most be something a little different because its like $30-40 a bag.

ive seen guys on here saying they get flavored rice bran somewhere around canton or athens i think, peanut and persimmon flavored.

SFAbowhunter 04-12-2018 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jshouse (Post 13297723)
try collin county feed. i get it at mitchells in royse city, its about $9 a bag. tractor supply has something called rice bran but it most be something a little different because its like $30-40 a bag.

ive seen guys on here saying they get flavored rice bran somewhere around canton or athens i think, peanut and persimmon flavored.

The last time I bought rice bran at Collin County Feed it was like $13 or so a bag. I think they went up in price cause I remember buying it for like $9-$10 a bag at first then he realized lots of hunters were looking for it.

bbqfan5909 04-12-2018 08:57 AM

Atwood’s has it for $6 a bag.

KactusKiller 04-12-2018 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jshouse (Post 13297723)

The expensive stuff is stabilized rice bran, I think they reduce the fat. Its for horse feed.

Archery1st 08-19-2018 11:51 PM

Quote:

Yes sir it can be done..but your right its not easy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RascalArms (Post 13210342)
Been done

Yessir....they are pricey that’s for sure!

https://www.fortressfeeders.com
http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...light=Fortress

Thank you!

I'm working on making a smaller more affordable version. However, like the original its trial an error..what you think will work never does the first try with Rice Bran. I'm getting closer though! :)

gingib 08-20-2018 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbqfan5909 (Post 13204938)
For pure attractant, rice bran gets my vote.

x2!

Hands down and it isnt even close

RascalArms 08-20-2018 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingib (Post 13561892)
x2!

Hands down and it isnt even close

Yíall need to quit talking about his stuff. Iím tellin ya...it doesnít work.

Archery1st 08-20-2018 11:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RascalArms (Post 13561907)
Y’all need to quit talking about his stuff. I’m tellin ya...it doesn’t work.

What doesn't work?

AntlerCollector 08-20-2018 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archery1st (Post 13563915)
What doesn't work?

Rice bran and cottonseed. Everyone needs to stop using it so it's not so hard to find. It doesn't work. Deer hate it. Y'all go back to vanilla and pea gravel :)

RascalArms 08-20-2018 11:27 PM

Quote:

What doesn't work?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntlerCollector (Post 13563924)
Rice bran and cottonseed. Everyone needs to stop using it so it's not so hard to find. It doesn't work. Deer hate it. Y'all go back to vanilla and pea gravel :)

Exactly....nothing to see here. Move along now.

Archery1st 08-20-2018 11:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RascalArms (Post 13563932)
Exactly....nothing to see here. Move along now.

Oh ok..Got it!

Archery1st 08-21-2018 12:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nothing will eat the stuff! :)

HDWRENCH 08-21-2018 09:19 AM

following some very nice deer . will have to pen feeders after this season to make it work . again WOW on some of the deer . Can hope they will grow that large in our area

RascalArms 08-21-2018 09:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

What doesn't work?

Thatís a helluva buck btw Bruce!

bbqfan5909 08-21-2018 09:52 AM

Love those rice bran feeders, anything more on the smaller more economical model?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archery1st (Post 13563979)
Oh ok..Got it!

Archery1st 08-21-2018 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbqfan5909 (Post 13564438)
Love those rice bran feeders, anything more on the smaller more economical model?

Several plans...just have to find time to build and test. I recently started a new real job and have been covered up the last 4 weeks.

Serious question since there is no other. What would be a preferred size?

I built the original for me as I'm 5 hours from the ranch and I wanted at least 1 month per feeding @ 10 lbs per day.

Archery1st 08-21-2018 11:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gordy

bbqfan5909 08-22-2018 07:22 AM

Personally, something that could attach to a drum I think would sell very well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archery1st (Post 13566274)
Several plans...just have to find time to build and test. I recently started a new real job and have been covered up the last 4 weeks.

Serious question since there is no other. What would be a preferred size?

I built the original for me as I'm 5 hours from the ranch and I wanted at least 1 month per feeding @ 10 lbs per day.

Reaper87 08-22-2018 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbqfan5909 (Post 13566539)

And reduce cost tremendously because everyone can find a metal drum for cheap

YoungTomMorris 08-22-2018 08:42 AM

Never have used rice bran, but we started free choice protein 3 years ago and have seen a substantial uptick in numbers and quality. Amazing what that stuff will do to the health of your herd if you also support it with plenty of water. Takes a few years but definitely worth it.

parkchief100 08-22-2018 08:49 AM

You can build your own using a timed “hammer unit”. Not much to it really.

RascalArms 08-22-2018 08:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper87 (Post 13566648)

^^^this^^^
Something where you could cut out the bottom of a barrel or other large hopper and attach a reducred cone-shaped apparatus to said hopper. Then said apparatus has an ďaugerĒ type mechanism that agitates the RB allowing it to fall.
Thatís what I envision at least.......I just ainít near smart enough to do it :D

Archery1st 08-22-2018 10:39 AM

Quoting several so as to save time.

Quote:

Agreed...however I've built one out of a 55 Gallon drum..it doesn't work well.

I considered making a feeding system for a barrel but, not everyone has access to the tools or has the ability to cut the bottom off a barrel and put this together.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper87 (Post 13566648)

These feeders are very specific and labor intensive to make. Once you add up all the labor and material for a feeder this size you will realize I'm not getting rich. The first 2 proto types cost me $980.00 just for the hopper - and that was a "buddy" deal.

They are currently to big to run in a break so each side has to be cut out CNC and each seam welded.

Quote:

Originally Posted by parkchief100 (Post 13566686)
You can build your own using a timed ďhammer unitĒ. Not much to it really.

LOL! Good luck with that. I've built 10
different feeders and only one design really works well. Of the one design that works i have several I use and they have been running flawlessly for 3 yrs. I dont want a feeder that "sorta works"

Quote:

Originally Posted by RascalArms (Post 13566694)
^^^this^^^
Something where you could cut out the bottom of a barrel or other large hopper and attach a reducred cone-shaped apparatus to said hopper. Then said apparatus has an ďaugerĒ type mechanism that agitates the RB allowing it to fall.
Thatís what I envision at least.......I just ainít near smart enough to do it :D

See above..not everyone has the ability to cut a barrel..and or the ability to put one together. My name is on this. If someone leaves one pin hole for water to get in..then it becomes a black eye for me.

Any type of cylinder, cone, ruducer does not work. Rice Bran as you know is a powder. Powder feeds will pack and bridge causing it not to fall.

I built an Auger style and it worked awesome for 3-4 feedings until the powder packed which then stops the Auger with any affordable motor.

BrandonA 08-22-2018 11:30 AM

Bruce how much are these?

bigbad243 08-22-2018 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archery1st (Post 13567008)
Quoting several so as to save time.

Agreed...however I've built one out of a 55 Gallon drum..it doesn't work well.

I considered making a feeding system for a barrel but, not everyone has access to the tools or has the ability to cut the bottom off a barrel and put this together.

These feeders are very specific and labor intensive to make. Once you add up all the labor and material for a feeder this size you will realize I'm not getting rich. The first 2 proto types cost me $980.00 just for the hopper - and that was a "buddy" deal.

They are currently to big to run in a break so each side has to be cut out CNC and each seam welded.

LOL! Good luck with that. I've built 10
different feeders and only one design really works well. Of the one design that works i have several I use and they have been running flawlessly for 3 yrs. I dont want a feeder that "sorta works"

See above..not everyone has the ability to cut a barrel..and or the ability to put one together. My name is on this. If someone leaves one pin hole for water to get in..then it becomes a black eye for me.

Any type of cylinder, cone, ruducer does not work. Rice Bran as you know is a powder. Powder feeds will pack and bridge causing it not to fall.

I built an Auger style and it worked awesome for 3-4 feedings until the powder packed which then stops the Auger with any affordable motor.

I am actually working on this now, but affordable timed protein is first. But the rice bran will work. Be happy to collaborate when I am completed with testing and such. But my affordable timed protein feeder is first.

knighttime 08-22-2018 11:51 AM

Piece of advice...if you're trying rice bran in a new area that you are already feeding corn, one put it out in piles and two put a decent amount of corn on top of it. What I've noticed is that the tremendously strong sweet smell of rice bran makes the deer nervous at first but then once they notice the corn in there and nibble on it then they are hooked...corn is like the gateway drug to rice bran in my trial areas.

gingib 08-22-2018 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knighttime (Post 13567248)
Piece of advice...if you're trying rice bran in a new area that you are already feeding corn, one put it out in piles and two put a decent amount of corn on top of it. What I've noticed is that the tremendously strong sweet smell of rice bran makes the deer nervous at first but then once they notice the corn in there and nibble on it then they are hooked...corn is like the gateway drug to rice bran in my trial areas.

I agree! I wish I could find a rice bran feeder that wouldnt break the bank

goldtip5575 08-22-2018 12:32 PM

Not to take anything away from the Fortress Feeder method, but you can use Rice Bran pellets and the deer do eat it as well as the Rice Bran meal. I currently have a "Hammer Unit" on a Boss Buck feeder feeding Rice Bran pellets, and the deer tear it up. The more slope and slicker the feeder material the better the flow. The boss buck set up works flawlessly with "The Hammer Unit" and Rice Bran pellets. I get Rice Bran Pellets from Del Rio Feed, or Hoffpauir Feed in Lampasas for $8.50 to $8.75 per 50lb bag. Some people will argue that the deer prefer Meal over Pellets, but I have watched deer in my area eating the meal I have in a bucket in my feed pen, and as soon as the Timer opens on the pellets they will leave the meal and walk over and start eating the pellets. I have also used a 55 Gallon drum with a steep funnel and it also works well with the Pellets and "Hammer Unit". Just another option if you want to feed a Rice Bran Pellet, instead of Meal, on a "timed and amount method".

Archery1st 08-22-2018 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandonA (Post 13567196)
Bruce how much are these?

Hi Brandon the feeder is $800.00

Archery1st 08-22-2018 01:32 PM

[QUOTE=goldtip5575;13567368]Not to take anything away from the Fortress Feeder method, but you can use Rice Bran pellets and the deer do eat it as well as the Rice Bran meal. I currently have a "Hammer Unit" on a Boss Buck feeder feeding Rice Bran pellets, and the deer tear it up. The more slope and slicker the feeder material the better the flow. The boss buck set up works flawlessly with "The Hammer Unit" and Rice Bran pellets. I get Rice Bran Pellets from Del Rio Feed, or Hoffpauir Feed in Lampasas for $8.50 to $8.75 per 50lb bag. Some people will argue that the deer prefer Meal over Pellets, but I have watched deer in my area eating the meal I have in a bucket in my feed pen, and as soon as the Timer opens on the pellets they will leave the meal and walk over and start eating the pellets. I have also used a 55 Gallon drum with a steep funnel and it also works well with the Pellets and "Hammer Unit". Just another option if you want to feed a Rice Bran Pellet, instead of Meal, on a "timed and amount ]

If you have no other option Rice Bran pellets are more attractive than regular protein. But, I have done side by side test in open buckets deer prefer the meal or powder.

In all seriousness I have been working on this for years..there have been many failed attempts. Mine and others..but there is a reason why others failed or gave up. Its not as simple as you may think.

Rice Bran Meal is one helluva an attractant...best I have found, its as simple as that. Try it..pour some on the ground, put it in a bucket something just get some out there.

However if you want to feed the meal or powder and have the deer conditioned to eat it when you are there. There is only one

When I get a smaller version I will let everyone know.

BrandonA 08-22-2018 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archery1st (Post 13567493)
Hi Brandon the feeder is $800.00

Hell thats not that bad. From the sound of it I was thing $1200-$1400 range.

Archery1st 08-22-2018 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingib (Post 13567293)
I agree! I wish I could find a rice bran feeder that wouldnt break the bank

The Rice Bran Feeder is $800.00, when you say break the bank - I dont get it. Your going to spend that on a regular protein feeder if it holds any volume.

Rice Bran is an attractant. The key is to keep some out there. I did a test last year with an older model that did not flow as well as the new ones just to see how far I could stretch a single filling of a feeder.

I filled the feeder up Jan 1 and let it open and close twice a day. The trough was just lightly dusted but the deer could eat out of the hopper with it open.

That feeder ran dry in December. The deer still fed every day..they just didnt get much. If they werent early they still licked the trough.

12 months on one filling, the feed did not spoil as it was kept dry. The sun actually "baked" the powder in the feeder.

Before I was spending $50-$60 a week filling buckets with rice bran, just to try and get it to stretch weekend to weekend.

If not 500 lbs...what would you guys like to see.
100 lbs, 200lbs 300lbs?

RascalArms 08-22-2018 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archery1st (Post 13567576)
The Rice Bran Feeder is $800.00, when you say break the bank - I dont get it. Your going to spend that on a regular protein feeder if it holds any volume.

Rice Bran is an attractant. The key is to keep some out there. I did a test last year with an older model that did not flow as well as the new ones just to see how far I could stretch a single filling of a feeder.

I filled the feeder up Jan 1 and let it open and close twice a day. The trough was just lightly dusted but the deer could eat out of the hopper with it open.

That feeder ran dry in December. The deer still fed every day..they just didnt get much. If they werent early they still licked the trough.

12 months on one filling, the feed did not spoil as it was kept dry. The sun actually "baked" the powder in the feeder.

Before I was spending $50-$60 a week filling buckets with rice bran, just to try and get it to stretch weekend to weekend.

If not 500 lbs...what would you guys like to see.
100 lbs, 200lbs 300lbs?

WOW...12 months is impressive :eek:
Capacity is still an issue for me because I’m 6.5 to 7 hours away from my lease. 300# capacity would be the minimum IMO.

AntlerCollector 08-22-2018 01:58 PM

I want the 500lb rice bran feeder. I just want it for $600 :)