Arrow setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow setup

I've been soaking up as much info as i can about proper tuning of your hunting shafts lately.
    Recently i picked up some CE Heritage 250 (400 spine) cut to 30.5" with a 125 grain head. I dont have a scale to know exactly what my setup weighs but guess it to be 450 grains +or- a few.
    Shooting out of a 45# Sage at 28" draw, this should be a sufficient hunting rig? If i wanted to go , say, another 50 grains up front i need to cut down my arrow about an inch (which is already long enough to clear my fingers with a broadhead) and add a heavier insert or go to a 175gr head?

I really want to practice with what i will hunt with especially since im new at this.

Have you shot them yet?

Richard.

Comment

My guess is that those 250s are gonna be way stiff with just 125 out front on a #45 Sage. My bet is to get really good flight you'll have to go up to 225 or 250.
      Just my $.02.
      I'd be willing to bet you could get away with 150s or maybe even 90s with 125 though. That will depend on draw length, release and centershot though.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
        Have you shot them yet?

Richard.
        Yes, and they are grouping decent for my very short limited experience.
        I want heavy, but dont want to overstep what my bow can handle for just getting started in trad

Comment

Originally posted by shortstroke 91 View Post
          My guess is that those 250s are gonna be way stiff with just 125 out front on a #45 Sage. My bet is to get really good flight you'll have to go up to 225 or 250.
          Just my $.02.
          I'd be willing to bet you could get away with 150s or maybe even 90s with 125 though. That will depend on draw length, release and centershot though.
          I did a write up about these arrows the other day. At the range, they flew absolutely great. no tail whip or drifting.

These will work just fine for getting positive form and actually seeing results in any changes i make, but i wasnt sure about the overall arrow weight as it pertains to hunting with a 45# bow

Comment

My arrows are 400 spine. They are also 31.33" long with 75 grain inserts and 125 grain points. I pull 54#. It's a longbow but it's a center cut longbow. Assuming your draw is 28" your pulling 45# so those shafts are gonna be way stiff. You probably need 500's with 150 to 200 up front.

Comment

Oops. You posted while I was typing. If it works you, it works. Sorry.

Comment

On your question, 10 grain per pound is a pretty good hunting arrow. Looks like your there.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                  Yes, and they are grouping decent for my very short limited experience.
                  I want heavy, but dont want to overstep what my bow can handle for just getting started in trad
                  I would have said they were too stiff but if you're making them fly straight and hitting where you want then run with it. Great thing about traditional is that there are very few hard-n-fast rules on what works and what doesn't.

Richard

Comment

Sounds like a plan. I'll just keep them where they are at.

Might try to run one through a pig after a few weeks to judge their performance on game

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                      I've been soaking up as much info as i can about proper tuning of your hunting shafts lately.
                      Recently i picked up some CE Heritage 250 (400 spine) cut to 30.5" with a 125 grain head. I dont have a scale to know exactly what my setup weighs but guess it to be 450 grains +or- a few.
                      Shooting out of a 45# Sage at 28" draw, this should be a sufficient hunting rig? If i wanted to go , say, another 50 grains up front i need to cut down my arrow about an inch (which is already long enough to clear my fingers with a broadhead) and add a heavier insert or go to a 175gr head?

I really want to practice with what i will hunt with especially since im new at this.
                      You have been giving some solid advise. You're asking, you need to listen my friend.

Your arrows will not work for that bow as the are, they are way too stiff spined.

You said you want to practice with what you hunt, you need way more weight up front (without cutting your arrow) or lighter spine shafts. Your current setup may group great, when you put 125 grain broadheads on those arrows they are going to hit 2' to the right. Good luck!!!

Comment

Originally posted by caughtandhobble View Post
                        You have been giving some solid advise. You're asking, you need to listen my friend.

Your arrows will not work for that bow as the are, they are way too stiff spined.

You said you want to practice with what you hunt, you need way more weight up front (without cutting your arrow) or lighter spine shafts. Your current setup may group great, when you put 125 grain broadheads on those arrows they are going to hit 2' to the right. Good luck!!!
                        Im only asking because i honestly dont really know the outcome, but why would a 125g fieldpoint and a 125 g broadhead have such different POI? 2 feet?

And to fix it would be to add more weight up front, say start at 50 grains?

Comment

Originally posted by KenWood View Post
                          My arrows are 400 spine. They are also 31.33" long with 75 grain inserts and 125 grain points. I pull 54#. It's a longbow but it's a center cut longbow. Assuming your draw is 28" your pulling 45# so those shafts are gonna be way stiff. You probably need 500's with 150 to 200 up front.
                          Not according to the 3rivers calculator. Although 175 grains up front would be better.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by DRT; 05-31-2017, 12:22 PM. Reason: 8

Comment

I can understand my broadheads not grouping with fieldpoints, but i never had to tune a broadhead back any more than 5 or so inches (shooting my compound) to have it group better with fieldpoints
                            Last edited by bloodstick; 05-31-2017, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by caughtandhobble View Post

^^^ this.

Also remember that broadheads will affect your spine differently than field points. Broadheads are longer than field points and so they affect spine differently its not a ton but it will show up if you are grossly out of tune to begin with.

I shoot a 50lb bow at 27". I draw 27".

400 spine easton axis trads cut to 29.25" 75 grain insert and 162 grain broadhead and 5gr nock collar.

I would suggest you video tape your self shooting. Mark your arrow with a sharpie at one inch increments and then review the video so you really know what your true draw length is.

If it is in fact 28" then you need to add some weight up front. I wouldn't cut your shafts at the moment.

There are tons of heavy broad head options out there. Don't get stuck on 125 grain.

More weight up front means higher FOC which means better flight and better penetration.

A slightly weak arrow is Much better than a stiff one when it comes to shooting broadheads.

JMO

Comment

Working...
                              X