TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Around the Campfire (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   2017 Houston Astros season thread, "Earn it" (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=633473)

zztex 02-07-2017 06:52 PM

2017 Houston Astros season thread, "Earn it"
 
The new slogan is "Earn it". Here we go. Made some additions, should be a great season!

El Forajido 02-07-2017 06:54 PM

Go stros!

Chew 02-07-2017 06:55 PM

Thinking positive!

Tuesday's reveal of Baseball Prospectus' first 2017 PECOTA projections is the latest sign spring training is near.

And PECOTA loves the 2017 Astros.

BP's Player Empirical Comparison and Optimization Test Algorithm forecasts the Astros to win 93 games this season, the most in the American League. The projection has the Indians winning the AL Central with 92 wins and the Red Sox taking the AL East with 90 wins.

Behind the Astros in the AL West PECOTA projects the Mariners to place second with 87 wins, the Rangers third at 85 wins and the Angels (79) and Athletics (75) both finishing with losing records.

The most surprising aspect of the projections as they relate to the Astros is how it expects them to get to 93 wins. PECOTA projects the Astros' pitching staff - which features a starting rotation filled with question marks - to allow the fewest runs (648) in the AL. Their dramatically improved lineup is pegged for the league's third-most runs (768), behind the Indians (798) and Mariners (770).

These are merely one projections, of course, and via just one projection system. PECOTA last year forecasted the third-place Astros (84-78) to win the AL West at 88 wins and had the division-winning Rangers (95-67) finishing with a losing record at 80-82.

Astros pitchers and catchers report a week from Tuesday to the team's new facility in West Palm Beach, Fla.

RINCON 02-07-2017 07:33 PM

This is the year...

Smart 02-07-2017 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINCON (Post 12185688)
This is the year...

Saved..BECAUSE I AM A CLOSET ASTROS FAN AND ONLY HIDE IT BECAUSE I LIVE IN DALLAS

DKirk 02-07-2017 08:05 PM

I'm pumped, wish I was going to spring training again this year.

Passthrough 02-07-2017 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smart (Post 12185775)
Saved..:D:p

Well atleast the fans have positive thoughts.....That'll change when the Rangers crush them like every year:) I'm joking Astro fans.....good luck this year

rattler7696 02-07-2017 08:20 PM

Let's go Astro's!!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WamBow 02-07-2017 08:31 PM

This could be the year for the Astros...aka the good guys

the-butcher 02-07-2017 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smart (Post 12185775)
Saved..:D:p

Lol. From a stros fan.

Grant2 02-07-2017 08:46 PM

Would like to see the boys make a run this year!

rtp 02-07-2017 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smart (Post 12185775)
Saved..:D:p

Please do.....go ahead and book it.

zztex 02-07-2017 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtp (Post 12186185)
Please do.....go ahead and book it.

Yep

HoustonHunter 02-07-2017 09:09 PM

I'm a believer!

Smart 02-07-2017 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtp (Post 12186185)
Please do.....go ahead and book it.

Should I hedge it with a purchase of crow for you..:p..:D

rtp 02-07-2017 09:12 PM

This is going to be a fun team to watch this year. The lineup is deep and lots of possibilities with Musgrove, Paulino, and Martes. If they dont do much prior to the trade deadline, the system is stacked to make a move for a bonafide stud for the second half.

rtp 02-07-2017 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smart (Post 12186223)
Should I hedge it with a purchase of crow for you..:p..:D

Go ahead....get one or two you like because that is what you will be eating.;)

Smart 02-07-2017 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtp (Post 12186231)
Go ahead....get one or two you like because that is what you will be eating.;)

We'll see ;)b;)b

texasdeerhunter 02-07-2017 09:31 PM

The Astros are going to be solid this year. The young guys did a lot of growing up last season, and adding Beltran to the clubhouse is going to help them mature even more (even though I am still madd at Beltran for leaving after the 2005 season).

Rubi513 02-07-2017 09:34 PM

Go Stros!

hammer63 02-07-2017 09:44 PM

Gonna. Be. Great!

rtp 02-07-2017 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasdeerhunter (Post 12186330)
The Astros are going to be solid this year. The young guys did a lot of growing up last season, and adding Beltran to the clubhouse is going to help them mature even more (even though I am still madd at Beltran for leaving after the 2005 season).

I dont understand why people are mad Beltran left. He was a rental. New York made a better offer than our tightwad owner. Beltran had no history here and certainly didnt owe this town anything. I wished he would have resigned but I never once was upset with his decision.

Tom 02-07-2017 09:59 PM

Astros go all the way this year....save it.....

texasdeerhunter 02-07-2017 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtp (Post 12186406)
I dont understand why people are mad Beltran left. He was a rental. New York made a better offer than our tightwad owner. Beltran had no history here and certainly didnt owe this town anything. I wished he would have resigned but I never once was upset with his decision.

Actually, our offer if you take in to account the NY State income tax, was pretty similar. And Beltran strung Houston along as their big offseason acquisition so that we missed out on other quality free agents because he wouldn't commit. He played the middle man so bad that we missed out on any other off season acquisitions. McLane was committed to getting him and winning a World Series. If Beltran would have signed, we would have gotten other players here as well.

He listened to Scott Boras too much. How did his years in NY work out?

Also, he left after the 2004 season. He wanted a ring, well guess what, who was in the World Series in 2005??? Could we have won in 2005 with him? We would have had a lot better chance.

Astros offered 7 years and $105mm. He signed for $119mm. Says the sticking point was a no trade clause. Whatever. He leveraged the Astros for as much as he could, then left. And still hasn't won a ring. He got greedy

WildThings 02-08-2017 12:21 AM

Let's go Astro's!!!!

BuckTrail 02-08-2017 02:14 AM

Yulieski gurriel?Wonder what ya think. In my opinion he's going to do great things

Bill M 02-08-2017 05:35 AM

Looking forward to the season.

Chew 02-08-2017 07:10 AM

Looks like they moved from Kissimmee to west Palm beach

Rubi513 02-08-2017 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckTrail (Post 12186769)
Yulieski gurriel?Wonder what ya think. In my opinion he's going to do great things

Systemnt loves him some of that old Cuban.:D

zztex 02-08-2017 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubi513 (Post 12187077)
Systemnt loves him some of that old Cuban.:D

Yep:D

rtp 02-08-2017 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasdeerhunter (Post 12186526)
Actually, our offer if you take in to account the NY State income tax, was pretty similar. And Beltran strung Houston along as their big offseason acquisition so that we missed out on other quality free agents because he wouldn't commit. He played the middle man so bad that we missed out on any other off season acquisitions. McLane was committed to getting him and winning a World Series. If Beltran would have signed, we would have gotten other players here as well.

He listened to Scott Boras too much. How did his years in NY work out?

Also, he left after the 2004 season. He wanted a ring, well guess what, who was in the World Series in 2005??? Could we have won in 2005 with him? We would have had a lot better chance.

Astros offered 7 years and $105mm. He signed for $119mm. Says the sticking point was a no trade clause. Whatever. He leveraged the Astros for as much as he could, then left. And still hasn't won a ring. He got greedy

The no trade clause is a big deal to the players. It gives them total control of their destiny. Uncle Drayton wouldnt relent and lost out on a great player. I think the 14MM was more important to him than winning a WS. The Astros got played because they let themselves get played. No one to blame but themselves.

You do know that Boras is Altuve's agent right? How do you think that is going to end for the Astros?

rtp 02-08-2017 01:33 PM

http://m.astros.mlb.com/news/article...stros-in-2017/

Prospect Martes could make Majors push
Prospect Martes could make Majors push
Top Prospects: Martes, HOU 0:32
2017 MLB.com Top Prospects: Francis Martes can work at 93-96 mph and reach 98 with his fastball
By Brian McTaggart / MLB.com | @brianmctaggart | February 7th, 2017 + 6 COMMENTS
With Spring Training fast approaching, MLB.com will take a look at a different aspect of this year's Astros squad each day this week. Today's topic: Who might surprise?

HOUSTON -- Barring injuries, the Astros' 25-man roster will be tough to crack leaving Spring Training. The lineup is deep, and some of their key contributors figure to be reserve players like Evan Gattis, Jake Marisnick and Marwin Gonzalez.
The bullpen returns intact from last year, and the starting rotation enters camp with six starting pitchers -- Dallas Keuchel, Collin McHugh, Lance McCullers, Mike Fiers, Charlie Morton and Joe Musgrove -- and five slots. So who is best-positioned to surprise this spring?
• Who might surprise for each club in 2017?
It's a stretch to see hard-throwing Francis Martes making the club out of camp, but a solid showing in front of the Major League staff could position him to make his big league debut at some point this season -- at 21 years old.
• Spring Training: Info | Tickets | Schedule | Gear
Martes, the Astros' No. 1 prospect and No. 20 overall by MLBPipeline.com, spent all of 2016 in the rotation at Double-A Corpus Christi. He struck out 131 and walked 47 batters in 125 1/3 innings, going 9-6 with a 3.30 ERA as the youngest pitcher (20 years old) in the Texas League.
"I think he's intriguing because of how well he's performed as he's raced through the Minor Leagues," Astros manager A.J. Hinch said. "He's young for the levels he's played at, he's been intriguing with his skillsets and had a nice showing in the [Arizona] Fall League.
• Astros Top 30 prospects
"He's answered every challenge at a young age. Never say never. When you have the luxury to be able to develop him at the pace he's helping dictate, he's a guy I'll have my eyes on up close and personal... [to] see how he responds being in his first big league camp and around older players."
Martes was throwing in the upper 80s when he was signed by the Marlins out of the Dominican Republic in 2012, and the Astros plucked him away from Miami midway through the '14 season in the trade that sent Jarred Cosart to the Marlins. He now sits in the mid-90s and touches 98, with a good curveball.
Barring injuries, Martes is likely to begin the season at Triple-A Fresno, putting him in position to make his debut this year. The Astros haven't been shy about pushing top prospects in the past couple of years, with McCullers and Michael Feliz making their debuts in 2015 despite not throwing a pitch a Triple-A. Prospect David Paulino made his debut in '16 after only three games at Triple-A, and Chris Devenski had worked in only one game above Triple-A.
The Astros, of course, have been in the market for another starting pitcher all offseason, which could delay Martes' timeline. Houston has been reluctant to move third baseman Alex Bregman and top position-player prospect Kyle Tucker (OF) along with Martes. If the Astros are bent on keeping Martes, that's a sign they believe he could be big league ready sooner rather than later.
Astros pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report on Feb. 14, with the full squad scheduled to report Feb. 18.
Brian McTaggart has covered the Astros since 2004, and for MLB.com since 2009. Follow @brianmctaggart on Twitter and listen to his podcast. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

stickemhard3 02-08-2017 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckTrail (Post 12186769)
Yulieski gurriel?Wonder what ya think. In my opinion he's going to do great things

Still on the fence on with him. I could see .270 for him but i could see him hitting <.250 too. He just needs to have good abs from the 9 holes and play good defense.

Go Stros!!!

ACCURACYINC 02-08-2017 02:33 PM

Remember the year the Rangers had the best record in baseball? I forget what happened in the playoffs.....

texasdeerhunter 02-08-2017 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtp (Post 12187227)
The no trade clause is a big deal to the players. It gives them total control of their destiny. Uncle Drayton wouldnt relent and lost out on a great player. I think the 14MM was more important to him than winning a WS. The Astros got played because they let themselves get played. No one to blame but themselves.

You do know that Boras is Altuve's agent right? How do you think that is going to end for the Astros?

Unless Altuve tells Boras he wants to stay in Houston, I really doubt that the Stros can pay him what the market will dictate. As young as he is, he is already on a HOF career path (assuming sustained current production)

RINCON 02-08-2017 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smart (Post 12185775)
Saved..:D:p

According to sports illustrated...:D

rtp 02-08-2017 08:38 PM

Marwin is signed to a one year deal and an additional club option year. I believe that leaves McHugh as the only player unsigned.

freerhunter16 02-08-2017 10:06 PM

Gonna be a fun year in H Town!

Jaredlee264 02-09-2017 11:07 AM

I'm fired up!! Let's Get It!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuckTrail 02-10-2017 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubi513 (Post 12187077)
Systemnt loves him some of that old Cuban.:D

if he plays like he used to he will be a star but then again transition might play a roll

jshouse 02-10-2017 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACCURACYINC (Post 12188460)
Remember the year the Rangers had the best record in baseball? I forget what happened in the playoffs.....



keyword;)b

Fishndude 02-10-2017 03:03 PM

80-82

rtp 02-10-2017 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishndude (Post 12194381)
80-82

You must have been drinking.....this isnt the Rangers thread. Maybe the Mods can move it over for you.:p

zztex 02-10-2017 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtp (Post 12195126)
You must have been drinking.....this isnt the Rangers thread. Maybe the Mods can move it over for you.:p

;)b

big_smith 02-11-2017 07:55 AM

I just don't see the Stros pitching holding up. Still pretty weak in the bull pen and haven't found a closer that u know of. Need one of those sleepers that NY seems to find constantly.

zztex 02-14-2017 12:39 PM

Pitchers and catchers report today. New spring training digs look fantastic

ThePumaLives 02-14-2017 07:58 PM

It's going to be a great year, is anyone else planning on going to Opening Day?

GARY 02-14-2017 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smart (Post 12185775)
Saved..BECAUSE I AM A CLOSET ASTROS FAN AND ONLY HIDE IT BECAUSE I LIVE IN DALLAS

I knew it...

SolocamShooter 02-14-2017 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_smith (Post 12195787)
I just don't see the Stros pitching holding up. Still pretty weak in the bull pen and haven't found a closer that u know of. Need one of those sleepers that NY seems to find constantly.

Unfortunately I agree with this. They whiffed big time on strengthening the starting rotation. If that goes down i.e. Keuchel, McCullers they're in trouble.

GARY 02-14-2017 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolocamShooter (Post 12206516)
Unfortunately I agree with this. They whiffed big time on strengthening the starting rotation. If that goes down i.e. Keuchel, McCullers they're in trouble.



That's my concern as well. I just don't see the pitching staff being World Series level.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com