Help Making Suasage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Making Suasage

I enjoy making my own sausage and I have a pretty good recipe that I use. What I struggle with is the consistency of the sausage after stuffing into the casing. When I cook the sausage it seems like all the fat liquefies and runs out when you cut the link leaving a dry sausage.

How can I achieve the same consistency/texture that you get from commercial links like you find in the grocery store?

Thanks,

Toastie

They sell a powder you can mix in. Look at eldon' s catalog. They have it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

The biggest thing as far as texture goes is making sure your meat and all equipment is chilled prior to grinding. I usually put everything in the freezer for an hour or longer until its cold enough. If you don't chill the meat and run it through the grinder is can cause the meat to smear and that produces a rubbery texture. If your sausage is dry after cutting it open then it might need more fat. Hope this help!

Comment

When I cook the sausage it seems like all the fat liquefies and runs out when you cut the link leaving a dry sausage.
        [/QUOTE]

Can you explain the process you are going through? Are you cooking the sausage prior to freezing?

Comment

The book Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas is a great source of information and recipes.
          Are you mixing anything in to hold moisture? Many folks cringe at the idea of cereal added, I do also but TVP, or soy even powdered milk used correctly will make a big difference. A little water or broth helps.

Comment

Sounds like you are smoking it too long/ or too hot

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/Charcuterie-C.../dp/0393058298

Follow the instructions in this book and you'll be set. Make sure the meat stays really cold during grinding/mixing. Also you may be smoking at too high of a temp.

Comment

Working...
              X