PDA

View Full Version : How Many Times a Day do you Feed

Cipher
07-27-2009, 12:27 PM
And about how much per feeding?

I just set my timer up to go off a 6:30 AM, 6 PM and 1 AM (for the hogs). It runs 15 seconds each time.

Am I throwing too much corn or not enough? It sure didn't look like a lot of corn on the ground during a test spin.

Also, how far from the spinner plate in the funnel supposed to be?

This is my first time on a lease after 13 years or so of public land hunting - I'm excited about being able to have a permanent stand location :)

lil'murdock
07-27-2009, 12:30 PM
If your throwing 3 times a day at 15 seconds a piece holy **** thats alot of corn. I would turn that down a bit.

Cipher
07-27-2009, 12:33 PM
You would think - huh. It sure doesn't look like a lot.

Old Blue
07-27-2009, 12:34 PM
You will have to see how the corn goes down.All are different. I gauge my spinner with my index finger.can putmy finger between spinner and cone to the middle of my finger nail.its about a 1/4 of a inch. Best to only feed enough to be on groundfrom when you feed til dark or while your hunting. That my opinion.

CapnKirk
07-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Sure sounds like a lot to me.

Try this:

Cover your spinner with a plastic grocery bag to catch all of the corn, push the feed button.

Weigh how much is thrown and then do the math.

You can tell how often you will need to fill your feeder.

Right now I feed 2 lbs. per feeding (5 seconds) twice a day.

Red Wing R/C
07-27-2009, 12:38 PM
On my deer feeder, I run it just a tad (few seconds) in the am and about 4pm in the evening. Run it to long where I hunt and the turkeys won`t leave you alone. :)

Jmh05
07-27-2009, 12:38 PM
I would monitor how full your barrel is after one week and do the math and if you can afford 15sec. 3x a day than, DO IT!

I would change your PM feeding to about 815-830pm. At 6pm it's still too hot and light to get alot of stuff coming to it. Most animals prefer to move right before dusk.

The only time I would feed the hogs in the middle of the night is if I could hunt the heck out of them at that time, with some night lights or something. You definately don't want them ruining your deer setups or start chasing off your deer to get the corn.

I would kill them, not encourage them.

Shake1
07-27-2009, 01:08 PM
15 seconds sounds like a lot to me too, but it depends upon your feeder setup. If you are interested to know how much corn you are slinging, get a large garbage bag and hold it up over spinner box and collect all the corn that is spun off for the 15 second duration. Weigh the bag to see how much your are throwing each cycle and do the math for each day to see how much.

For my setup, in July I start with two times per day, for about 2 seconds each. Once the season gets near (late September time frame), I move it to 5 seconds twice daily (30 minutes after sunrise and about 1.5 hours before sunset). Works for me.

I don't care for hunting hogs as we already shoot every one of them we see throughout the year. I usually knock down 15 - 20 per year pretty easily. There are always way too many!

kab8300
07-27-2009, 01:11 PM
I feed twice a day for each feeder I have.

Nitro1970
07-27-2009, 01:15 PM
I got one that feeds at 7:00am and 7:45 pm for about 7sec each. The other I have set up feeds at 12 noon for 4 sec and then at 7 pm for 18 sec. They are On-Time brand timers and the instructions say (I think) an 8 sec run with a 3/8" funnel/spinner gap with throw approx. 1lb of corn.

Smart
07-27-2009, 01:15 PM
We have a high density so...

During season.......

4 times a day...
daylight -10 secs
an hour later -6 secs
5pm ish -10secs
an hour later -6 secs.

600 lbs last me 1.5 months in season

In the offseason

2 times a day ....

daylight -4-5 secs
1.5 hours before dark -4-5 secs

600 lbs lasts me 4-5 months

rudedog47
07-27-2009, 01:20 PM
During season I throw twice in the morning for about 3-4 seconds...the second feeding seems to lure in deer from the fringe, and the same in the evening. During the new moon, I may feed once around 11 to 1. Pigs will come in whenever they please, so I don't concentrate on them. I think hunting during the middle of the night will only hurt the area for deer.

jlptexashunter
07-27-2009, 01:32 PM
We feed 5 seconds @ 7am in the summer
Protein is out there to feed freely

In September we'll crank them up to 6am and 7pm 10 seconds each throw

AgHntr10
07-27-2009, 01:36 PM
I guess I just have a different point of view on hogs, I would never set my feeder to throw just for them. Also throwing at night will probally bring deer to your feeder at night when you can't shoot them

KJones
07-27-2009, 01:39 PM
Mine are set at 5 times a day 5 seconds each. I go thru about 300 lbs of corn in 8-10 weeks

jsk
07-27-2009, 01:43 PM
I feed 3 times a day for 8 seconds.
6 a.m.
noon
6 p.m.

Bowtechlady
07-27-2009, 01:45 PM
For deer and hog- I throw for about 4 seconds shortly after day break and about an hour before sunset.

acearrow
07-27-2009, 01:51 PM
It is going to depend on what type of feeder you are using as to how long to set it for. Give us your feeder model and maybe someone will have that type and be able to give you more info. I have a monarch feeder that I set 2x per day for about 5 seconds during the off season. When season gets close, I will raise it up to 8 to 10 seconds. My other feeders are the On Time feeders and they are set at 8 seconds in off season and 12 seconds during the season. I usually go fill by barrells every 6 weeks. Personally, I wouldn't set a time during the night. It will get the deer coming in during non hunting hours. The hogs will come when ever they want. If you want to hunt the hogs, get a game cam and try and track what time they are coming in and schedule your hunt around that time.

Hawkins
07-27-2009, 01:52 PM
During the off season I ran twice a day at 12 seconds, 4 bags would last about 1 1/2 months. Saturday I bumped it up to 30 seconds per feed, but I can barely get my finger between the spinner and funnel.

rhaws
07-27-2009, 01:53 PM
On my Moultrie Pro Magnum, their feed/run time is consistant with what mine is throwing. 6 seconds throws about 1lb, 10 throws 2lbs, and 14 throws 3lbs. Of course what everyone else is saying about spinner gap and your area concentration is right on. I currently feed at 5:30 AM and 6:30 PM with a 5 second time. Of course if I had a ton of deer coming I'd up the run time.

DaddyO
07-27-2009, 01:58 PM
2x day / 3 seconds at 7:00 and 7:45 . Always subject to change!

altez
07-27-2009, 02:00 PM
I feed about three meals a day .. mmmm.... :D

Mike D
07-27-2009, 02:05 PM
In the off season I throw once a day in the morning for about 5-7 seconds.

During season I throw twice a day for about 8-10 seconds. A lot will depend on your deer density, but like has already been said, unless you are going to be there to hunt the hogs at night regularly, I would not do a throw in the night for them.

If you are wanting to hunt them then I would have a dedicated feeder away from my deer area to do that.

Sr_Egor
07-27-2009, 02:06 PM
We feed 24/7. I wish we had timed feeders though. We get hit hardest right after the rut and July and August. We go through as much as 2800 pounds in 2 weeks during those periods.

Tubby
07-27-2009, 02:15 PM
WOW! that's a lot of corn that's gettin slung! I feed twice a day starting in September and keep feeding twice a day until February. But during hunting season, I feed 3 times a day. From Feb, back to Sept, just once a day in the early mornings. During season, mine will go off at 7:10 for 6-8 seconds, 4:20 for 6-8 seconds and one last blast at 5pm for 2 seconds. Not many hogs around so I don't feed during the night. From March thru the end of November, we feed protein twice a day. morning and evening. 6 seconds each out of an antler max trough feeder. Our corn feeders will hold anywhere from 26 to 38 bags also so we don't have to make that trip that often. Our protein feeders hold 25. Good luck!

Randy
07-27-2009, 02:16 PM
right now were feeding about 350lb a day

big_smith
07-27-2009, 02:27 PM
Here is something to keep in mind. Your batteries on your feeder will only last so long, even with a solar panel. We feed for 12 seconds twice a day, which equates to about 8#total. I would adjust your feeder if possible to put out more feed, in less time. It is easier on your batteries and will make them run longer. As far as how much you are feeding, keep in mind that corn is like candy. It has very little nutritional value and is there as an attractant only. We feed a corn/protein mix from Feb to Sept and then go to straight corn.

OUTLAW
07-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Mine throws up to a lb at 4 sec's . twice a day 7am and 7 pm .

Reckless Cheri
07-27-2009, 02:34 PM
Ours only throw for 4 seconds at the most. That seems like a lot of corn.

Cipher
07-27-2009, 02:48 PM
It is going to depend on what type of feeder you are using as to how long to set it for. Give us your feeder model and maybe someone will have that type and be able to give you more info. I have a monarch feeder that I set 2x per day for about 5 seconds during the off season. When season gets close, I will raise it up to 8 to 10 seconds. My other feeders are the On Time feeders and they are set at 8 seconds in off season and 12 seconds during the season. I usually go fill by barrells every 6 weeks. Personally, I wouldn't set a time during the night. It will get the deer coming in during non hunting hours. The hogs will come when ever they want. If you want to hunt the hogs, get a game cam and try and track what time they are coming in and schedule your hunt around that time.

It's that Remington 40 gallon plastic feeder. The spinner plate is about 1/4" away from the funnel. I got that one for the year, I plan on building something a little bigger for next year since the lease is 4 hours a way.

To be honest, I think I might have removed the night program after thinking about it, I want to get some hog pipes setup about 1/2 mile from where this feeder is setup for hogs (I saw a really beaten path with hog tracks, good spot for the piggies). I had a really interesting day yesterday putting this feeder up and I'm not positive if I kept the night feeding time or not, but I do know I set there and thought about it.

I'll be going up in a few weeks again to set out a camera and clear a shooting lane, I'll see how much of my 300# is left in the barrel. It really didn't look like there was a lot of corn being flung, but I'll back the times down just in case.

By interesting day I mean: I found a spot that consist of about 50 acres between two creeks, the creeks join to form a point. Both creeks are bordered by White Oaks. I don't have a 4 wheeler, but I do have a pretty capable Jeep - well, crossing the creek turned out to be a challenge, I spent an hour winching the Jeep on the way in and about 30 minutes winching on the way out. After I was done setting up the feeder and before I hit the main road I stopped and changed back into my shorts only to find out I had lost my phone when I put it on my spare tire (I used the time on the phone to set the time on the feeder). I had to walk about 2 miles back to the feeder to get my phone - since I wasn't sure where it fell off I opted to walk instead of taking the chance of driving over it. I did notice cat tracks on top of my tire tracks, so there was something eying me out there.

I've been getting myself into sticky situations most of my life, and out of all the time I've spent operating a winch, yesterday was the first time I ever had to do a double line pull, I stalled out a 10,000 pound winch trying to heave my 4000 pound Jeep through an old creek and up the bank. At one point, while the Jeep was in the middle of the pull, the ground was 6 feet down from the Jeep, that's how steep the bank was and the angle involved. Yeah, I prolly shouldn't have even tried, but it didn't look that bad and I had everything I needed to get myself out.

Not sure how you guys fill your feeders, but my next trip out I'll be taking a ladder to leave out there since I ain't taking my Jeep back across that creek.

Anyway, I know that is way off topic, but that's why I don't remember if I kept the night schedule on or not.

Strong Slinger
07-27-2009, 03:16 PM
During the off season, we feed at 7am and 8pm witha spin time of about 4 seconds and during season the times are 6am and 5pm with a spin time of about 7 seconds

cosmiccowboy
07-27-2009, 03:50 PM
When I have multiple feeders I will set up one to only feed at midnight and noon. You will typically see different deer at this feeder than the others as the primarily nocturnal deer will favor it, and they will occasionally slip up and show up at noon for a snack.

Jackalope
07-27-2009, 03:54 PM
Sounds like your throwin alot of corn.

psicoo
07-27-2009, 04:13 PM
During the off season I feed twice per day(morning and evening) 2 sec. From September through January I feed morning, noon and evening 3-4 sec.

kfd82
07-27-2009, 10:01 PM
6 Am and 6 PM for 4 seconds each time. (will change this to 7 Am and 5 PM next month)

My other feeder has an electric eye, it throws at dawn and an hour before sundown, 4 seconds each time.

Live2Hunt
07-28-2009, 08:52 AM
6 Am and 6 PM for 4 seconds each time. (will change this to 7 Am and 5 PM next month)

My other feeder has an electric eye, it throws at dawn and an hour before sundown, 4 seconds each time.

Right there with ya, but we feed 3 seconds in the off season and will bump it up to 5-6 seconds the colder it gets.

Mike Murphey
07-28-2009, 09:11 AM
Rigth now feed twice a day 3 seconds each....once deer season is close I will increase to 10 seconds seconds each time.....Once season starts, and depending on how many deer are coming by, I will feed at least twice in the morning for 10 seconds each time and twice in the evening 10 seconds each....

Firestopper
07-28-2009, 09:51 AM
2 times a day for 3 seconds until mid August. Then about 5 seconds x2 during the season. And of course plenty of hand corn when on stand.