PDA

View Full Version : Hog Pipe Instructions???

Landrover
03-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Anybody have them from the old TBH??? I would like to make one that will hold 50 lbs since I don't get to East Texas very much. Thanks in advance guys.

skeeter
03-04-2007, 08:09 PM
Do these really work? They don't get clogged up w/ mud? I may need to put one of thes out at my Sheridan lease.

Landrover
03-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Good thought Dan! Heck, I gotta come up with something different.

Big_gun
03-04-2007, 09:03 PM
I built a couple that hold about 50 # of corn. haven't been clogged with mud yet. once the hogs found it they'd empty it in a night, I drilled apporx 24 holes in it...I was thinking that was nowhere near enough...

Endcap with 3/8" eyebolt

Endcap with 3/8" eyebolt (inside view) Other end has a cleanout screw in cap.

Helpers drilling holes

Helpers drilling holes 2

Finished pipe (5' long) used a 5/16" chain and attached to eye bolt with a quick coupling. Chain is approx 5' and attached to a regular pet anchor ground screw.

innergel
03-05-2007, 10:55 AM
How big were the holes you drilled? That looks like a 1/2" bit. 2 hog pipes are on my "to-build" list for this spring.

those look great, btw.

Big_gun
03-05-2007, 11:27 AM
I believe we used a 1/2" bit.... didn't take them long to find it...

Joey~AP
03-05-2007, 11:37 AM
I put a bell on the chain of mine, so you will know when they are pushin it around.

I think I drilled 1/2" holes in mine.

florissant
03-05-2007, 11:55 AM
My two cents,
I like the pvc pipes but a more cost effective alternative is the 10 foot black-flex drainage type. One pipe $4.50 and four 6 inch band (radiator type) clamps $2.25 each = $13.50 pre-corn. Pop some holes in one end and zip tie it shut. I use a 3/4 bit but drill only approx. 4-6 per 10 foot piece placed on 45 degrees from each other about a 1.5 feet apart.
Put two clamps together (now 12 inch) anchor to a tree with about 4-5 feet being vertical fill the pipe, bouncing the corn down. Slap the other clamp on and you're done. Although recently I cut a 3 inch by 3 inch square near the bottom of the pipe - you can drop in jello or your favorite attractant. Easy and cheap to replace. Holds 1 to 2 bags of corn, just make sure a squirrel isn't in there when filling, or extra pants might be required.

innergel
03-05-2007, 12:08 PM
My two cents,
I like the pvc pipes but a more cost effective alternative is the 10 foot black-flex drainage type. One pipe $4.50 and four 6 inch band (radiator type) clamps $2.25 each = $13.50 pre-corn. Pop some holes in one end and zip tie it shut. I use a 3/4 bit but drill only approx. 4-6 per 10 foot piece placed on 45 degrees from each other about a 1.5 feet apart.
Put two clamps together (now 12 inch) anchor to a tree with about 4-5 feet being vertical fill the pipe, bouncing the corn down. Slap the other clamp on and you're done. Although recently I cut a 3 inch by 3 inch square near the bottom of the pipe - you can drop in jello or your favorite attractant. Easy and cheap to replace. Holds 1 to 2 bags of corn, just make sure a squirrel isn't in there when filling, or extra pants might be required.

any pictures of this setup? i'm having a hard time visualizing where all these clamps and holes go. Is it hard to fill up? How durable is it?

eradicator
03-05-2007, 03:07 PM
Both setups work well, but 24 holes is way too many. Remember, the piggies are gluttons and 6-8 holes works a lot better (cheaper).

G MONEY
03-05-2007, 03:52 PM
I would agree with eradicator. We started with 12 holes. By the end of the season, we were down to 1 hole. We taped up the rest with duct tape. If we didnt, they could empty out in one or two nights. We went with 3/8" holes.

Landrover
03-05-2007, 06:18 PM
any pictures of this setup? i'm having a hard time visualizing where all these clamps and holes go. Is it hard to fill up? How durable is it?

You guys ROCK!!!
I agree with the statement above but it does sound viable but a little to deep to visualize!

On the pics above how do you keep the ends on? I don't see any threads? Thanks for the response it is awesome to see the boys involved.
Man, the number of holes is definitely gonna be KEY for me since I only go up to Smith County once per month or so.
Hey Dan, you wanna start working on these this week? I will pay for the supplies but I totally suck when making stuff! :D

buzzbait
03-05-2007, 07:54 PM
a few of mine. Way too many holes. It's been in this same location for over 3 years

Tmag
03-05-2007, 08:07 PM
They look great. We used to fill 2 liter pop bottles and drop them around the water holes and feeders. The deer even got into kicking the corn out of them.

eradicator
03-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Buzzbait,

That looks like a good place to whack some porkers. What kind of fitting do you use to keep your endcaps on?

trykonroye
03-05-2007, 10:45 PM
tmag592,
thought it was illegal to put corn in bottles like that. am i wrong? I just had heard that it was. The deer do love my moms grandfather used to feed the deer in lakeway before the law was passed. Theyll play with those things till there empty!

orrbull48
03-05-2007, 10:51 PM
check out www.texasboars.com they have some really cool ideas there!

skeeter
03-06-2007, 09:19 AM
orrbull,
I was looking for that site last night while I was er...uh...working!

I'm off to Home Depot! pix to follow.

whitetailfanatic
03-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Always hated filling mine up seem to take forever with a regular 5 gal bucket and half would end up on the ground, but found a easier way, buy a cat litter bucket that is square not round and you get more corn in the pipe and less on the ground by pouring it out from 1 of the corners of the square bucket!
just my .02

Hoosky1143
03-07-2007, 02:39 PM
I built mine out of the black flexible drainage pipe.Got all my ideas from texasboars.com.It works great.It was tied to a t-post,but now its just tied to a small Mesquite that I trimmed.I just use nylon rope and have the mouth of the pipe a little above waist high.It will hold about 45 lbs.

Oh yeah,I have a plug for the mouth to keep the squirrels out.I had one come flying out and use my face as a launch pad.

Hoosky1143
03-07-2007, 03:54 PM
Like this,but replace the crappy twine with 3/8" nylon.And be sure to tie one on as close to ground level as possible.

redneck82
03-08-2007, 08:47 AM
I got to try this one.

Landrover
03-08-2007, 10:54 PM
Hey Dan,
How far have you gotten on the hog-pipes?

skeeter
03-09-2007, 08:45 PM
patience, grasshopper!:)

Gold
03-10-2007, 05:44 AM
I found that putting a "90" on the pipe makes it easier to fill. Also, I tried using the black flexible sewer pipe and the hogs tore it up overnight. Wasted my time and money.....

Landrover
03-10-2007, 09:59 AM
Gold,
That is a awesome idea for filling! You always have great solutions. How did the last hunt to Africa go??? I am slated for this August!!!!

Gold
03-12-2007, 06:11 AM
Landrover,

I leave for South Africa on March 28th for 18 days!!! To say I'm getting excited is an understatement. I'll post pictures when I return.....

Landrover
03-13-2007, 04:29 PM
Oh my gosh!!! That is THIS weekend!!!! I am SOOOOOOOOOOO jealous! Have a blast and I can't wait to see the pics! What critters are on your hit list this year?

Gold
03-14-2007, 02:53 PM
Landrover,

I don't leave this weekend, I leave on the 28th. I'll be looking to take a Gemsbok, Blue Wildebeest, Zebra, Impala, Blesbok, Warthog and whatever else I get a chance at. I'll also be able to hunt culls (broken horned animals or "old" females) for camp meat. Will also be able to take several species of predators/nuisance animals. I may have a chance at hunting a leopard but won't know for sure until I get over there.....

We'll spend a couple days in Sun City and do a hot air balloon ride over Pliensburg national park plus do a little diamond/tanzanite shopping. ;)

Good luck on your trip in August and let me know if I can maybe answer any questions you may have, Gold

Landrover
03-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Ooops, I guess I am ready for this month to end for some odd reason. That is a lot of critters! Sun City is awesome from what i hear, we are not going to have enough time on this trip though. I am sure I will have a ton of questions before we go....and the wife is really gonna have a bunch also. Thanks!!!

bryanc
04-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Brilliant.......I will try this!!!!

Mike Murphey
04-14-2007, 08:42 PM
Instead of pipe use a 55 gal drum with the same size holes drilled in it and chain it to a tree.....or between two trees....you can hear the drum bangin around for a long distance away....

head
04-15-2007, 09:12 PM
i have read that you can mix in a little deisel with your corn to keep it fresh and deter the coons and such. i think the mixture was 1 oz to 5 gallons (deisel to corn).

the kidd
04-23-2007, 01:13 PM
i made one a bout a year ago and it has been great...mine is smaller but it works great the first couple of times they pulled it out of the ground with one of those dog tie out things that screw into the ground so now i use a 2 foot eye bolt with washers welded on the bottom....with the dog tie out i had to find the feeder about 50 yds away torn through brush and everything...and me i didnt like the chain because if there are roots and things the hogs will get that thing tangled so bad thats why i went with a thick wire....and use a 55 gal drum?man that piktures funny in my head

Bowhica
06-19-2007, 07:05 AM
Well I broke down and made one. I am making 2 of them. One with chain and the other with cable to see the pros/cons of each. I'll post my findings later on in the year.

rbridges00
06-19-2007, 08:29 AM
Just curious, bowhica, you don't think they'll unscrew the cap rolling it around with the chain on the threaded cap end? It'll probably never happen, but was just the first thing that caught my eye.

Bowhica
06-19-2007, 12:27 PM
My intentions for putting the chain in the screw cap instead of the end cap is because of this. With UV, weather and abuse by the hogs I figured if the end cap fails you have to cut your pipe and reglue a new cap. But if the screw cap fails I cut nothing, redrill the anchor hole and screw it back in. Whether it will ever get to that point I don't know, but that is how my little brain clicks. LOL!! I took care the unscrewing by putting a set screw in the side. You can jusr see it on the top of the pipe.

Mexico Hunter
06-19-2007, 01:49 PM
I built 2 of them over the weekend since it was raining and I couldn't make it to the lease. But, mine is a hybrid version of what has been saw here.

The bolt went on the cap end (I thought about it unscrewing, but didn't think about a set screw), I used 2 washers on each side with a nut on the outside and a lock nut on the inside. I put a 45 since I thought it would fill easier than a 90 with the fill cap on the end of the 45. For now I only put 6 3/8 holes in it. I'll be using some coated cable to attach it to the tree.

Hopefully putting it in place this weekend.

Got all the materials (already had glue and cable) at Lowes for 2, cost was about $50. BTW - Check out their prices, they wanted $14 for a 5' piece of 4" pipe or $17 for a 10' piece and they will cut it for you. With that being said, the only thing I had to do is drill some holes, attach the eye bolt, and glue. Maximum 15 minutes to build both of them.

innergel
06-19-2007, 04:52 PM
Well I broke down and made one. I am making 2 of them. One with chain and the other with cable to see the pros/cons of each. I'll post my findings later on in the year.

Mine look exactly like yours except the eye bolt is on the fixed end. I used coated cable too. It is a very easy project. It took me longer to find the parts in Home Depot than to build the things. I think I spent like $60 total for two of them. And I went overboard on the cable clamps, etc.

I installed swivel clips on the end of my cables to keep the twist out. I have been trying to figure out a way to attach it to a tpost that will allow it to roll around without the cable getting all wrapped up. I've seen some 2" steel rings before, but HD didn't have any. Feed/farm and ranch stores are pretty scarce in north Dallas too :) Anyone have any ideas?

Mexico Hunter
06-20-2007, 07:54 AM
I installed swivel clips on the end of my cables to keep the twist out. I have been trying to figure out a way to attach it to a tpost that will allow it to roll around without the cable getting all wrapped up. I've seen some 2" steel rings before, but HD didn't have any. Feed/farm and ranch stores are pretty scarce in north Dallas too :) Anyone have any ideas?

How about some rebar and a quick weld to make a ring?

rbridges00
06-20-2007, 11:16 AM
My intentions for putting the chain in the screw cap instead of the end cap is because of this. With UV, weather and abuse by the hogs I figured if the end cap fails you have to cut your pipe and reglue a new cap. But if the screw cap fails I cut nothing, redrill the anchor hole and screw it back in. Whether it will ever get to that point I don't know, but that is how my little brain clicks. LOL!! I took care the unscrewing by putting a set screw in the side. You can jusr see it on the top of the pipe.

I see! Good idea with the set screws..... Hope they work for ya! I like to see fresh pork on the ground :)

BIG D
06-20-2007, 12:27 PM
Are you using 4" or 6" pipe" Anyone that is in the Buda area, we have all the parts for this in stock and I can probably beat any price.

Bowhica
06-21-2007, 06:43 AM
I believe the norm has been 4".

Burnadell
06-21-2007, 07:13 AM
Are you using 4" or 6" pipe" Anyone that is in the Buda area, we have all the parts for this in stock and I can probably beat any price.

Are you in Buda or Shiner? Your profile location says Shiner.

Mexico Hunter
06-25-2007, 10:00 AM
I put out the tube I made this weekend.

First, I made my holes 3/8 to start with. Filled the first one up and figured out the corn I had was larger than 3/8. I had my cordless drill, but did not pack my complete set of bits, but did find one bit in my box. I don't know what size the holes are now, but corn will slowly come out. In fact, I may need to increase the size. I will wait until I return to check on them to figure that out... As per the advice posted earlier on this thread I don't want it to be too easy to empty. I only put 7 holes in each tube.

Here are a few pics I took, sorry about the quality I was using my phone. I wanted to get a good before and after picture of the area. You can see on this one I tied it down with a t-post. I then bought a 2" ring at Lowes for .77 to allow it to move around.

It is kinda hard to see in the last picture, I was trying to get a pic of the clamp with swivel on it. My brother thought this would be a good addition to keep the wire from twisting up.

These were made out of 4" PVC, 5' long. I had made 2 of them. It took one 50lb bag of corn to fill both of them. I had thought they would hold 50lbs each.

Hopefully I will get back out there in a few weeks to check them out. I put a game camera on the second pipe, maybe I'll have some action photos next time too!

BIG D
06-25-2007, 02:00 PM
Are you in Buda or Shiner? Your profile location says Shiner.

I live in Shiner and work in Buda.

ccupit
07-03-2007, 02:50 PM
a buddy of mine has some in brackettville and the pipes are 4 inches and 4 ft long with 3 3/8 holes and they only last about 2 or 3 days so now he is just putting 2 holes in it and he had 4

ccupit
07-03-2007, 02:51 PM
o srry i put a xtra 3 in there

diatri
07-10-2007, 04:55 PM
I am going to have to try making one of these. I have heard they work, but now can see that they do.

Big D, I have some family in Shiner.

bm22
11-13-2007, 03:02 PM
so how long to they usually last, i know alot depends on how many and how long the hogs feed but just looking for a general idea of what to expect. if they last a couple days or week i think it would be worth making one.

mcnutt_exotics
11-14-2007, 12:38 PM
my pipe has lasted over two years. mine holds 25 pounds and will only last two days. i have used the biggest swivels i can find and still find the pipe 100 yards down the road sometimes. the hogs love to roll it.