PDA

View Full Version : Oran Hills Outfitters

barnett77859
10-25-2006, 05:55 AM
Whats the deal? Is there any deer left or have they all been killed.
We went thinking it was a bow only lease and Oran got his gun out and started shooting hogs. Wrong thing to do on a bow only ranch.
Has any one else had this experance there?

kgwalke2
10-25-2006, 06:07 AM
I tell you I hunted there three times and it seemed to get worse ever time I went. Each time I went I seen fewer deer and the cabin got worse as well. The house had plenty of room the first two times I went then they closed in a room and put all the hunters in one room it was bad. The last time I went the weather was nice and cool a good time of year and not vey many deer seen at all. Some hunters seen turkeys but all hens. I think this placed had alot of promise but something has went really wrong here.

barnett77859
10-25-2006, 06:13 AM
I think you are right they have a good set up but the deer are just not there
I hunted hard and only seen a doe and a fawn its just no deer there to hunt.
Marvin the guide done a good job trying to get us on the deer he put out
lots of corn but nothing comes in to eat its its just a bad over hunted ranch.

dswalke2
10-25-2006, 01:35 PM
I have hunted there the last two years with fewer deer seen each year. My opinion....the place is over hunted and the deer know to stay away. We paid for a special week long hunt last year for eight hunters. When we got there on the Sunday, twelve hunters were just leaving. When we left that Friday, another twelve hunters were coming in. Oh and yes, Oran did use a gun to hunt hogs while we were bow hunting. Another thing about this place is that each year it seemed to be more rules made on what you could or couldn't shot. This could be a good place to hunt if it was managed differently.

Gunther
10-25-2006, 08:49 PM
he just needs to retire......and let someone else handle that land for him

barnett77859
10-26-2006, 06:16 AM
its another blow to the day leases we spend hard earned money
for these leases and most of the time we get used up and over hunted
land to hunt sometimes a deer may stray in and a hunter may get lucky
but for the big picture its tough hard hunting with a poor ending
and no meat in the freezer. I guess its not all a loss we get to spend time with good friends around the camp house and hear all the deer tales.

g2bowhunter
10-26-2006, 03:33 PM
So is Marvin back running things for Oran? The sheppard ranch would be a great place to hunt if it was few hunters and if he only hunted every other weekend!! I hunted the ranch a couple of times last year and saw a couple of Really big bucks but they new exactly where the stands were and they avoided them.. I sure would like to know if Marvin is back to running things if so things will get better.

Gunther
10-26-2006, 09:16 PM
The last I heard Marvin & Oran had it out and they parted ways.....I haven't heard any different ...but who knows anyway?

barnett77859
10-27-2006, 05:54 AM
I dont think Marvin will be back Oran Hill took avantage of him
for the last time. He wanted Marvin to do all the things it
takes to make a good hunting lease and get nothing but tips
from the hunters it just dont work like that. To bad for
Marvin hes a good guy. Any way I dont think our plans
will let us go back to Orans to hunt any more I hate it but thats
the way it is. Its could be a great fun place to go.

m'gobo
11-02-2006, 05:46 AM
I hunted there one time but I forget what ranch it was. After the 1st moring hunt, the "guide" drove us all over the place and we saw nothing. Also, the corn was piled up under all the feeders. I left after the 1st day as it was very disappointing. Now I know what not to do when my place gets up and running.

Heath
11-08-2006, 10:50 AM
Oran Hill is a crooked old man. I will never hunt with him again.

EastTexasHunter
11-08-2006, 01:16 PM
This place is a classic example of propert being over hunted, the owners ethics are questionable at best, spend your hard earned money some where else, or you will be dissapointed......

bdog14
12-08-2006, 12:29 PM
this place sounds great....sign me up!!!

diamondrules
12-08-2006, 05:36 PM
they cant leave a high fence....just couldnt help it....

BrandonA
12-08-2006, 06:21 PM
This has been going on for several years. I live in Burnet Cnty and amazed at how many people believe his line of ****. Should be selling timeshares in Iraq. As they say the proof is in the puddin.

Cuz
01-22-2007, 03:36 PM
Hahahahhahahaha,You guys hit this one on the head!
Last year I went on a turkey hunt on his ranch south of Mason.A LOOOOT of turkey.Every way we turned we heard them.We did not get one but I put my rookie buddy right on one(8-10 yards) and he missed with my 30-30.We saw alot of hogs also.He told me i could bring my wife and she could hog hunt for free since i brought such a large group.She shot about a 20 lb hog obn the last night of the hunt.Well my .300 win mag blew the little guy right in half.So we threw it off in the brush since there wasnt anything left to eat on it.
He began to tell my wife how unethical of a hunter she was for letting me leave it out there.I told him it wasnt her decision and wanted to know why on the phone he told me that their were sooo many hogs that they shoot em and leave em lay?But when a paid hunter does it they are "unethical".LOL what a jack ***.We pay him $1500 for 2 1/2 days and did not kill a turkey and he bashes my wife?!?!?!
So his grandson(stephen) told me to make up for his grandad's comments he would give us "the good guy deal" on a bow hunt in Burnet.We did not see many deer and the "guide" Kevin was a complete @SS.
I will NOT be returning to a OranHill hunt again!Although I can NOT complain about the amount of game on either place.Oran is too old to be told he needs to work on his people skillz!!!And on top of it all,He told me on the phone to NOT bring any food for the first night because he was going to have food for everyone and he FORGOT it.Get this,he said "I guess the cows ate it of the table when i came to meet you guys at the gate".Hahahaha
Whomever said he needs to retire is right on! ! ! !

bullshark
07-19-2007, 04:10 AM
I went to his place in december of 2004. Oran was super nice and so was his yankee chemical engineer guide. the cabin was haunted no joke. i saw an apparition of a little girl the first night and then the bathroom door would constantly open. the hunting sucked we stayed 4 nights and saw one deer. Oran gave us one night free though. He did not have a lot of personality but he was not as bad to us as he has been others. He did drive us to his shepard county ranch and told us one time he drove a guy to a stand and the guy made fun of his toyota so he never came back and picked him up. lol Everytime I drive past his ranch on my way to my lease in mason i think about the worst hunt i have ever been on in my life.

Injun
07-19-2007, 08:39 PM
The best thing about Oran was that cute little young snaggle toothed squaw of his. She cooked the best fresh peach cobbler in a dutch kettle on the campfire that I have ever eaten. We didn't see anything to shoot at though!

ByronB
07-24-2007, 10:56 PM
This is halarious. The stories are always great from people who have hunted at Oran Hill' place. Keep them coming!! I liked the one about the ghost in the house. It is too bad that hunters are still drawn in to the place. He should not be allowed to advertise.

TXbowhunt
01-04-2008, 01:36 PM
I wish I would have found all this stuff before hunting there in 2007! Man, that guy is crazy! The ranch is overhunted, the food is slop and all he cares about is getting your money. Steven, the guide and Oran's grandson is pretty nice but that's the only positive thing about that place....Stay Away!!!!

BIGhawk
01-05-2008, 08:18 AM
I also had a terrible experience with Oran Hill. He is the RUDEST person I ever met. And he treats clients/hunters like DIRT. The Ranch off of 2484 ( around Killeen) is very over hunted.

nimrodtracy
10-01-2013, 03:52 PM
We hunted his Burnett ranch back in 93 I think, it was $50.00 a day and if you gave him $300.00 for the season you could hunt 10 days and do 5 two day weekens. It was not a bad price. But like someone said the deer were string jumpers and very shy. All the deer we were small and our group only got one deer and missed several.

Is he still around?

CastAndBlast
10-01-2013, 03:58 PM
This thread is almost 7 years old...

nimrodtracy
10-03-2013, 08:05 AM
This thread is almost 7 years old...

And you point is??

m'gobo
10-13-2013, 08:17 PM
And you point is??

And his outfit STILL sux hind tit!!!