PDA

View Full Version : Hunt N Shoot near Houston

thehairlessone!
02-22-2007, 07:21 AM
A buddy of mine (texas 10 pt) went here this week for a hog hunt. He said it was a great place with TONS of hogs. He even got charged by a 300 lb. boar! Change those britches Jeff! LOL!

Here is the website. Thought you guys might like some good info on a place. I wish I was closer. That would be a long drive from Kansas.

http://www.huntnshoot.com/

Rick

Tuffbroadhead
02-22-2007, 09:06 AM
Yeap Howie is a great guy and runs a great place, congrats to your buddy fro having a good time!!

m'gobo
02-24-2007, 06:15 AM
I haven't been there but after some of the hogs I have been seeing that his customers have killed, I am really leaning towards booking a hunt.

Scorpion7
02-24-2007, 06:33 AM
Howie consistently puts his hunters on some impressive hogs. I know I am planning to book with him.

bzzboyz
02-24-2007, 08:52 AM
No Texas hunting license needed!

I'm confused. I thought you had to have some kind of license to do any kind of hunting in in Texas. Even if it is only hogs or exotics.:confused: :confused:

Olphart
02-26-2007, 11:07 PM
bzzboyz, I think you are correct! I wonder how they are doing that...

thehairlessone!
02-27-2007, 07:03 AM
I thought you only had to have them for exotics?

rick

Scorpion7
02-27-2007, 11:08 AM
This is out of the 06-07 regulations handbook. Not sure how they are doing this.

Exotic animal refers to grass-eating or plant-eating, single-hoofed or cloven-hoofed mammals that are not indigenous or native to Texas and are known as ungulates, including animals from the deer and antelope families that landowners have introduced into this state. Includes, but is not limited to feral hog, Aoudad sheep, Axis deer, Elk, Sika deer, Fallow deer, Blackbuck antelope, Nilgai antelope, and Russian boar. Exotic fowl refers to any avian species that is not indigenous to this state, including ratites (emu, ostrich, rhea, cassowary, etc.).
There are no state bag or possession limits or closed seasons on exotic animals or fowl on private property. It is against the law to:
Hunt an exotic without a valid hunting license.
Hunt an exotic on a public road or right-of-way.
Hunt an exotic without the landowner's permission.
Possess an exotic or the carcass of an exotic without the owner's consent.

Texastaxi
02-27-2007, 11:38 AM
Don't worry about what the website says about licenses. I'm sure EVERYONE on here buys a hunting license every year, so it's not a big deal to us. Let the undeducated people, that are too tight to spend the $30 (or whatever it is) worry about getting a ticket when the warden shows up.

Sounds like a cool place ... we're gonna try it out at the end of May.

Phdan
02-27-2007, 12:42 PM
Don't worry about what the website says about licenses. I'm sure EVERYONE on here buys a hunting license every year, so it's not a big deal to us. Let the undeducated people, that are too tight to spend the $30 (or whatever it is) worry about getting a ticket when the warden shows up.

Sounds like a cool place ... we're gonna try it out at the end of May.

Out of state hog license is about 50 bucks for 4 days.

Texastaxi
02-27-2007, 12:46 PM
Out of state hog license is about 50 bucks for 4 days.

Sorry, Phdan, since this is TEXASbowhunter, I keep forgeting about you foreigners! :D

howie1968
02-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the fine comments guys i work real hard getting guys on hogs and yes jef did get charged ive got a pic of the hog that week we had about 7 charges sending 3 of us up trees alot of fun!!!!

STGS
02-27-2007, 02:46 PM
This is from the TPWD on-line regulations. I read this as no license is required for hogs if they are classified as "depredating". There is a link at the bottom of this post.

Quote:
A hunting license is required of any person, regardless of age, who hunts any animal, bird, frog or turtle in this state (except furbearers, if the hunter possesses a trapper's license). No license is required for nuisance fur-bearing animals, depredating hogs or coyotes (see below). Non-residents under 17 years of age may purchase and hunt with the Special Resident Hunting License (Type 102).

A hunting license is not required to hunt the following:

Coyotes, if the coyotes are attacking, about to attack, or have recently attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowl.
Depredating feral hogs, if a landowner (resident or non-resident) or landowner's agent or lessee is taking feral hogs causing depredation on the landowner's land.
Fur-bearing animals, if the hunter possesses a trapper's license or if the fur-bearing animals are causing depredation.
Note: All laws and regulations governing hunter education still apply.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/annual/general/hunt_licenses/

thehairlessone!
03-02-2007, 07:43 AM
No problem Howie. If it wasnt so far from Kansas I would drive down myself.

rick

jreyna920
03-10-2007, 08:10 PM
just got back from hunt and shoot and although i can bearly walk and im all cut up from running after and away from pigs it was a blast!!!! Howie and Brian are great guys who will put you on hogs and treat you like old friends. I Had chances at lots of hogs and put on several good stalks! although i only came home with one pig i wasnt because of the lack of pigs.... i have never seen so many pigs there was about 4 times i had pigs close enough to poke with the arrow but i was a little spooky... my mind was saying haul a** but my feet would not move!! I didnt hunt the evening hunt because i wore myself out so if you go pace yourself...

I would recommend them to anyone trying to get away for some great hunting and fun!!!

John

jreyna920
03-10-2007, 08:31 PM
heres the pic of the piglet

Longhorn
04-17-2007, 12:55 AM
Talked with gentleman from this place this afternoon, I forgot to get his name. Seemed like it would be a pretty fun hunt and pretty cheap as well. He also said he could probably fit me in anytime as a single, and I would probably be able to connect on my first hog with a bow. Anyone going anytime soon?

Africanbowhunter
06-30-2007, 12:15 AM
I Just got back and it was great

My friedn red Dot Smoked 2 hogs her first including a whopper Trophy- 305# Boar and a small boar

She got both on film

Great Place esp for youth and ladies

YOU WILL SEE TONS OF HOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its fun place...no HASSLEs

great clean rooms & bath rooms, nice archery practice range

Most enjoyable

Howie Smith is a top guide very patience, a war hero with a Purple Heart and a holein his Side

Was one of the first US ARMY troops wounded in Afganistan in 1991 and Brian Palmer the CEO ex-military.... guides in both Alaska & Colorado and knows the ropes

Dot Hot went 304 # Mine went 287 #
I shot six hogs and she shot two boars....great sport

Great days afield!

TINK NATHAN

Africanbowhunter
06-30-2007, 12:19 AM
They have 18 guys coming this weekend they have 14 blinds in one area I bet 18 guys could really move the hogs

I shot one running at 20 yards!

Tink

Knuckleboy
07-19-2007, 05:14 PM
I'm thinking of taking my son out there for his first hog hunt...What is ya'lls opinion on that.!

Bweger
07-19-2007, 05:56 PM
He shouldn't have any trouble getting a hog.

troutkilla
07-28-2007, 11:56 AM
I've hunted at hunt-n-shoot four times between 2004 and 2006 when the preacher owned it. those hunts were all unbelievable. lots of hogs rangeing from 20 lbs to 300 lbs. .We would stand hunt early and then spend the rest of the day spot and stalk. Always killed good hogs and always had a blast. I hope to hunt there again soon.

Africanbowhunter
08-04-2007, 03:02 PM
I am goign back BTW

Tin

BigJoe
08-06-2007, 12:59 AM
I'll tell ya'll what.....these guys are first class people!!! Brian and Howie are great guys...and excellent guides! Ive been there 2 times in the past two months and had a blast. The facilities are great and comfortable. I think Tink remembers us!! We were there with him and had an opportunity to hunt a hog together!!! (Hi Tink) I shot a trophy boar about two months ago....280 lbs w/ 3 1/2 " tusks. My buddy Tony shot a 337 lb boar that was awesome!!!

I plan on booking again for my son. You will not be dissapointed guys...give these guys a try!

Rabidbowhunter
09-19-2007, 11:02 AM
I went a couple of weekends ago and putting a report up soon. Had a great time and had a chance to meet Howie and sorry I forgot the other guys name who helped us but he was also very helpfull. I will be going back for sure.

howie1968
09-21-2007, 07:40 AM
it was nice meeting you sorry i wasnt much help i believe i had just gotten out of the hospital when i met you next time ill be more help we appreciater your business happy hunting

Blood Trail
10-07-2007, 03:00 PM
This is no doubt an awesome place of hogs. My buddy Kevin and I went at the end of July and brought home 7 hogs ranging from 50-100 pounds. I recommend this palce to anyone, novice and experienced alike!

Rabidbowhunter
10-14-2007, 11:02 PM
Will be heading back here this up coming weekend. Will keep you posted.

TONECOP45
10-23-2007, 11:40 AM
I just came back from Huntnshoot yesterday. My buddy and I both bagged two sows weighing close to 100 lbs. I tried my bow for the first time and was successful. The bow used was a Forge PF 34 brand. I wish I had pictures but only got the shot in my camera phone. I am for sure going back soon.

Rabidbowhunter
10-24-2007, 12:09 AM
ToneCOP when were you there? I was there Sunday with a buddy and we had a blast. I ended up shooting 4 hogs but one was sick and howie said to get another one and EdwardV got two with his longbow. Will be putting the story up in the hunting reports later.

THEDUDE
10-24-2007, 11:06 PM
I'm going to Hunt n Shoot with some family friends this weekend. I can't wait, I just got off the phone with Howie and he got me pumped up. I can't wait to hunt with you Howie.

TONECOP45
10-25-2007, 12:23 AM
ToneCOP when were you there? I was there Sunday with a buddy and we had a blast. I ended up shooting 4 hogs but one was sick and howie said to get another one and EdwardV got two with his longbow. Will be putting the story up in the hunting reports later.

Hi Rabidbowhunter,

I was there on Monday with my friend and his son. I also had a blast despite the heavy rains. I still managed to hunt in the nice cold rain with the 55 degree climate. It was very cold.

howie1968
10-25-2007, 07:48 PM
tony what about our charge

TONECOP45
10-26-2007, 12:01 AM
tony what about our charge

Hi Howie,

How could I forget.

THEDUDE
10-29-2007, 06:52 PM
I had a great time this weekend chasing hogs at Hunt n Shoot. Everyone got pigs that hunted with a gun. I had multiple shot oppurtunitys at good pigs. I ended up not taking a hog, because I missed. But there are tons of hogs and Howie worked hard to put us on hogs all day. We had a great time and I will be going back soon.

txhunter
11-01-2007, 08:59 AM
A group of us went here last May. It is definitley a place I will be returning to at least once a year, if not once every few months.. Howie is a great guy and really knows his chit....