PDA

View Full Version : Ladder Stand Modifications

Roy D Mercer
02-20-2007, 03:20 PM
This is your typical WalMart ladder stand with a few mods. The first thing I did was put a 5" extention on the footboard. This is much safer expecially if you stand and shoot. Also allows you to move from side to side without slipping off.

Next I lowered the shooting rail 3". I tacked a 24" solid metel rod inside the tubing to give it more support incase of a fall.

I also extended the shooting rail to make it more bowhunter friendly.

Built a frame to attach to the shooting rail.

Finished product

These mods can also be done on tripods.

Stins
02-20-2007, 03:33 PM
I have that ladder stand and have been thinking that something could be done to improve it, and looks like I now know what needs to be done. Good ideas, thanks.

Steve W
02-20-2007, 03:35 PM
I think you just talked me into buying one now that i've seen your modifications.
yours i like!!!

Shane77624
02-20-2007, 06:51 PM
I like it. I have a 2man that is just sitting on a tree not being used.

Right_wing
02-20-2007, 08:40 PM
Good idea, Steve.

I've had one of those in my garage that I bought on sale last year. Dang, I've got another project now.

rockint
02-20-2007, 08:46 PM
That is a great modification looks like I am going to be busy this off season

Thanks for sharing

Dale Moser
02-20-2007, 10:50 PM
<--------------<<<<<

...nods in approval.......

Roy D Mercer
02-21-2007, 10:48 AM
Take a good extention ladder with you when attaching to a tree. It is 10 times safer than going by the instructions.

I want to clarify that the top is bolted on. It would be tough to get the stand to slide up the tree with top on. I installed the top after attaching to a tree.

Thanks for all the compliments, I even got a nod from the torch king.lol

Wes, have fun with the new project. I like projects but my age is starting to get to me a little. Micah and i put this stand up by ourselves and it is a 16'. I drug this stand a couple hundred yards through the woods. I am dang sore.
I may need to stard working out or something. nah

elhefe
02-21-2007, 11:13 AM
Looks Good!

huntinfool
02-21-2007, 11:56 AM
I've been modifying all of my ladder stands. Actually I think I only have two that aren't modified. I have added foot rests, arm rests, made them free standing, made them wider, etc. I really like the top idea with the netting around it. That might have to be one of my newest mods.

Tmag
02-22-2007, 10:56 PM
Nice!

"DOC"
02-23-2007, 08:34 AM
Very Nice, I love the DIY section, learn a lot.

Snapper
02-23-2007, 09:51 AM
Very nice. I have a question. How is it shooting your bow out of that stand with the netting? Does your bow get hung up? I really like the idea and may have to modify a couple of mine now.

Roy D Mercer
02-23-2007, 10:38 AM
Snapper, I would agree that military netting seems to snag on everything, however by extending the shooting rail and attaching the camo tight I see no problems with snagging my bow. When I zip tied the front center of the shooting rail I left some slack in the tie so I can slide the camo open or closed, kinda like opening curtains. It is hard to tell in the pic but there is a nice size shooting hole in the front and both sides. Here is another pic with the camo open to the front.

Roy D Mercer
02-23-2007, 10:42 AM
here is the pic

FarFromHome
02-24-2007, 11:31 AM
That is good stuff right there.. I was thinkig of doing some similar type modifications and you went all out. Hope you don't mind if I use your ideas.

Thanks for sharing.

easttxbowbender
02-24-2007, 01:22 PM
that's some good work thanks for the post and my next project;)

Roy D Mercer
02-25-2007, 09:58 AM
FFH, help yourself. I want to see some pics when yall are done.:)

meshmover67
02-26-2007, 12:57 PM
great blind and nice property where is that, it dosent look like texas

phrozenintreestand
03-10-2007, 10:02 PM
I've been modifying all of my ladder stands. Actually I think I only have two that aren't modified. I have added foot rests, arm rests, made them free standing, made them wider, etc. I really like the top idea with the netting around it. That might have to be one of my newest mods.

Great Mods, it seems on the stands they give you enough room for one boot..:eek:

the net was a great idea...

head
03-25-2007, 08:30 PM
hey roy, how did you attach the canopy frame to the actual stand? i know you bolted it, but did you use clips to put the bolts through or what?
how was it trying to situate and bolt the canopy frame while up in the tree?
appreciate the help and ideas! looks great.

Roy D Mercer
03-26-2007, 10:32 AM
hey roy, how did you attach the canopy frame to the actual stand? i know you bolted it, but did you use clips to put the bolts through or what?
how was it trying to situate and bolt the canopy frame while up in the tree?
appreciate the help and ideas! looks great.

head, I am not sure what kind of clips you are talking about. After I attached the ladder to the tree I just man handled the top. It was not at all easy to do this. If I were to do it again I think I would try to temporarily duck tape one of the corners and try and get a bolt thru the opposite side. If you got a buddy to help then it is a no brainer. Be careful, I dropped the top and took a pretty good blow to the head trying to do this by myself. If you have a 12 foot ladder and have a 2 stout young men you probably could attach the top before sliding it up the tree. The stand in the pic is a 16' and was put up by me and my 16 year old daughter. And like I said before a good extention ladder is a must when attaching the ladder to the tree, much safer. If you got more questions let me know.
Roy D

Roy D Mercer
03-26-2007, 10:34 AM
oh yea,post the pics when you are done.

head
03-27-2007, 08:05 PM
sorry, let me be more specific. how is your top attached to the stand itself? i see that the stand has the bolts in place (as in pic#3), where the frame will be set on the stand, but what did you use at the base of the tubing on the frame to connect the two? maybe a clip, by which i mean a small pc of metal welded to the frame with a hole in it for the bolt to go through?

sorry about all of this, just trying to figure it out.
thanks for your help.

Roy D Mercer
03-28-2007, 09:25 AM
OK, yea I just welded a small piece of metel to the tubing and punched a hole thru it. Clips as you call em.;) :) You cant tell in the pics but I also have a plyboard top to help keep the rain off.
I want to see some pics when you are done.

head
04-01-2007, 10:32 PM
sure thing man, i am thinking about building a strap on cover like cabelas sells and then draping some camo down from it. might not look as good but it might be easier to handle and put on the tree while you're swinging limb to limb like a monkey!

Lung Buster
04-02-2007, 08:26 AM
Looking good

Bucks&Broadheads
06-02-2007, 05:22 PM
Great looking set up!

woody
06-10-2007, 11:21 AM
I would copy your stand, but i am afraid of a butt whoopin. How big an old boy are you? Nice job !!!! Woody

Grillen Joe
06-17-2007, 01:13 AM
Thats a cool tree stand ! I made a frame for the top of mine out of pvc pipe and fitings and camo painted it and then put camo neting on it like curtins like you did. On the shooting rail I hung burlap camo off it. Then zip locked branches with leaves all over it.

Larry
06-26-2007, 11:06 PM
Nicely done. I also have that exact stand. Question...

How hard would it be to turn one into a tripod or relatively free-standing stand? Let's say you wanted to also be able to use it in an area where you didn't have a tree big enough to strap it to?

Roy D Mercer
06-29-2007, 05:10 PM
Larry, i dont think I would try and convert this to a tripod. You can do the exact same thing with a tripod by building a frame from the floor and go up. In the hillcountry I have actually made a frame using ceder limbs. They are straight and make a sturdy setup. If you dont have trees tall enough this is the way to go.

Roy D Mercer
06-29-2007, 05:12 PM
Grillin Joe, never thought about pvc but I see no reason why it wont work.

Woody---lol