PDA

View Full Version : Coon problem, Best way to solve

todda
02-19-2007, 09:41 AM
I have a horrible coon problem. 200# of corn in my feeder is only lasting about a 2 weeks. I have a cage over it, but they still seem to be getting to the spinner plate. Plus, i don't really like the cage cause it causes all the corn to fall in a pile right under the feeder, then pigs dig a big hole underneath it. I've heard of using carpet tack board, and was wondering if that worked. I was wondering what yall used, and what seemed to actually work

KRB
02-19-2007, 09:50 AM
I use carpet tack strips and they work great, coons gave up on my feeder. I have not seen a coon in the past 2 years since going with the carpet tacks. I just zip tie them to the legs high enough so they would have to climb a little and then hit the strips.

Dale Moser
02-19-2007, 09:52 AM
4" Pvc.

"DOC"
02-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Todda, we tried the carpet tack strips, just gave our coons more traction. I like Dale's idea.

KRB
02-19-2007, 10:27 AM
todda, thats strange, they really worked on mine.

"DOC"
02-19-2007, 10:35 AM
KRB, we have the "West Texas Red Neck Strain" of coons. ;)

KRB
02-19-2007, 10:38 AM
lol, well I used to find piles of coon turds on top of my feeder, ever since I went with the strips, nada and I dont even see them anymore. I like it that way :)

Flint knapper
02-19-2007, 11:06 AM
I've never had a coon problem because I have a tripod that I winch my feeder barrel up. The coons can climb on top of the barrel, but can't get to the spinner.

Chew
02-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Bluetick hound, spotlight, .22 rifle!

I've heard of the pvc and carpet tack working. I think the pvc has to be fixed so it will spin or roll as they climb (not stuck in the ground at the base of the feeder). There are also zappers that will shock the coon when they touch it. Not sure where to get one.

Lowake Hunter
02-19-2007, 11:20 AM
pvc works i've used it i would also set live traps by your feeder and catch those little sh***.

todda
02-19-2007, 11:25 AM
does anyone know how to make one of the zappers? also, where do you get the carpet tacks from, and how much are they? im goin to try anything i can to get rid of those little *******s.... especially with corn being 5.79 for 50#!

Jmh05
02-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Mine aren't hitting the spinner plate (that I can tell), but feasting on the corn on the ground.

bm22
02-19-2007, 11:41 AM
do you have tc pics of the coons doing it ? because a big hog will shake a feeder dry pretty quick. especially if it isn't a winch up feeder.

Duramaxjack
02-19-2007, 11:49 AM
check this out

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5003&highlight=coon+*******

KRB
02-19-2007, 11:56 AM
I buy the tack strip at home depot and its cheap, a couple of bucks for 3 or 4 pieces.

Dale Moser
02-19-2007, 12:01 PM
I've heard of coons packing mud on the tack strip, to keep from gettin stuck.

The PVC on mine is not hanging, and really won't spin. I've never gotten a tc pic of a coon on it. However, hanging the pvc from the leg with a short piece of chain could be cheap insurance.

Duramaxjack
02-20-2007, 05:19 PM
Dang Dale I was looking at your pic and not only is that a nice feeder but a first class feed pen you got there.

KRB
02-20-2007, 05:26 PM
Hell Dale, we aint got enough rain to produce mud :)

Dale Moser
02-20-2007, 05:42 PM
I moved that feeder this weekend Jack, you oughta see the new pen!:)

You make a valid point Ken.....

Snapper
02-20-2007, 08:15 PM
I use the same method as Dale except mine does hang from a short chain. No cam pics of coons since I did that 2 years ago.

Bohunter
02-20-2007, 08:49 PM
I use tack strips and no coons on feeder but the little bushy tail Bas%$% are jumping on the motor and getting to the corn. But no coons

theluckyhunter
02-20-2007, 10:12 PM
me a 270. and a spotlight just give me one night lol

Duramaxjack
02-26-2007, 10:39 PM
I use the same method as Dale except mine does hang from a short chain. No cam pics of coons since I did that 2 years ago.

Snapper can you explane the chain to me I must be missing something.

Luck_of_the_Draw
02-27-2007, 12:13 AM
100% guaranteed to work....

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5003

Doc Garris
02-27-2007, 09:01 PM
hey yall i thought i would chime in: with my winch up feeder i have never had a coon problem even without a critter cage course it is probably more cost effective to fight the coons off than to build a new feeder

Danimal
02-27-2007, 09:16 PM
hey yall i thought i would chime in: with my winch up feeder i have never had a coon problem even without a critter cage course it is probably more cost effective to fight the coons off than to build a new feeder
Ditto, kind of. I have started making a bracket out of angle iron and hanging my feeders from big Oaks. That ended my coon, cow, and goat troubles. Easier to fill too. Works great, if you have big enough trees available.

BigPigSticker
03-14-2007, 09:17 AM
Carpet strip never slowed my coons down, I think it may have even helped them. I think the best solution if applicable is to use a hanging feeder.

whitetailfanatic
03-16-2007, 04:57 PM
www.spintechfeeders.com Todda, they try awful hard but can't seem to push down on the screw driver and hold open and spin at the same time. so far so good. Or HCR I use both co. MY .02

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/whitetail_fanatic_photo/conversionkitsmall.jpg

whitetailfanatic
03-16-2007, 05:06 PM
I do remember actually seeing a post somewhere of real bear style traps zip tied to the legs of a feeder and it was pretty gross with the coon hanging, but do you think his buddies said" there's an easier one around the corner,let's go play at that one, see ya Ricky" any body got that pic?:D

sq2bowman
03-17-2007, 07:00 AM
I've a couple of feeders utilizing American Hunter Feeders. There are a few gadgets available like the solar panel, remote control and my personal favorite the Zapper.
http://www.americanhunterfeeders.com/HTML/accessories.html
I can't seem t find the tc pic, but someone I know got one of the thievin little bast*****$ gettin zapped by this product and it was hilarious. Mr Coon thought he was so smart climbin up the leg of the feeder, then uergh, he got zapped and wasn't seen again.

whitetailfanatic
03-17-2007, 01:42 PM
any body got that pic?:D

BrandonA
03-18-2007, 08:58 AM
I second the spintech. I have an allseason feeder with the clutch driven spinner. Coons, squirells, and birds can't get the corn. I will not buy another feeder without it.

Shane77624
03-18-2007, 03:06 PM
The coons only want to climb up Dale's feeder so that they can play checkers on the side of it.

Cuz
03-20-2007, 06:29 PM
I have a horrible coon problem.
Spotlight and 30-30 ought to do it!

whitetailfanatic
03-21-2007, 11:28 PM
Spin Tech is great but a pain in the a55 by yourself, but worth it NOW!

Rattler
03-22-2007, 12:39 AM
I am gonna put a hurtin on them...cause I know they will be there the last weekend in March. Todd, where are you hunting at around EC?

Mike Murphey
03-23-2007, 04:59 PM
I was over at Karl's Ultramatic and he has a new trap design for coon's that is inexpensive.....Karl can you give us the low down on the trap you were showing me......
I have tried all the solutions for coons that are listed and the best way to get through your coon problem is to get rid of the coon's, (or lower the number of coon's) on your property.....

Ultrakarl
04-24-2007, 10:56 AM
Here's a picture of the tube type coon trap. Bait the inside of the trap(sardine) and when he reaches in for the bait, the spring knabs his leg.

cnc_xt
04-24-2007, 11:54 AM
you can thin many of them with a .17 or .22 and a spotlight but youll always have more...i like the PVC idea it seems like a cheap easy way to solve the prob.

Txag96
04-24-2007, 12:08 PM
Brush up an area like a tight horseshoe. Leave a clear path big enough for coons to get to it but make the other brush thick enough to where they will take the easy route thru the path. Cover a few leg traps with leaves in the path and put a can of tuna in the back of the path. Then a .22 pistol does the rest. Kinda gruesome, but it gets the job done. They are mean little S@$t's when they are trapped up on that leg, so don't think you can let them go after. Very easy to do, doesn't take long to wipe a family of them out, and they prefer that tuna to the corn any day.

Boomerang
04-24-2007, 05:44 PM
Instead of putting cat food, sadines and all the other smelly stuff in the traps I use plain corn (if they are hitting a corn feeder). The other meat baits just attract fire ants and they eat the bait quicker than the coons can find it.

whitetailfanatic
04-30-2007, 02:42 PM
kARL, Then what happens????? does it cut his leg off or does he stay in the trap until the next time you go back??WHEW that could be stinky, I need either a way to electrify their butts as a warning or or for something to make them leave and then die like ant bait making themthirsty and they die near water.. ANYBODY???

william
04-30-2007, 05:58 PM
I will tell you a quick and cheap way that works. I have some feeders that don’t have cages around them and the coons will climb up the legs and spin the corn off the spinner plate. I took a jar of Vaseline and a jar of cayenne pepper and mixed the two together and spread the mix over the legs. The coons don’t won’t no more part of that corn and the deer don’t seem to care. Coons don’t like stuff on their paws and they don’t like the pepper.

Dusty Britches
05-01-2007, 01:58 PM
The wild hogs have run off my coons and do so every night. :) They are alot more fun to shoot!

I think I'm going to hook up a 6 volt battery, continuous feed. So the positive will run all the way around and the negative feed will run all the way around and when the fur ball touches both - KAPOW! :D

whitetailfanatic
05-01-2007, 05:38 PM
we talked about that this weekend , running 2 wire around about 4-8" above the ground so it shouldn't bother the deer just the coons as they crawl in thru the wire touch both and KAPOW! but SOLAR fence chargers WHEW! are about as steep as the protein feed itself, mullin it over.........mmmmmmm.....KAPOW IS KOOL THOUGH!!

Ultrakarl
05-09-2007, 12:59 AM
Whitetailfan,,, the tube trap is a trap. The spring clamps down on their leg and holds them until you get to them the next morning to properly "relocate" the critter. The spring does not snap their leg off. (although a coon with 3 legs is not too bad) They usually don't chew their leg off cuz they can't quite get to the numb part of their leg. Bait it with honey if you don't want to catch a cat. I won't set a trap if I can't check it the next day.

whitetailfanatic
05-09-2007, 09:13 AM
Thanks, Karl:)

gofish24
05-09-2007, 07:29 PM
out of anger and for some payback, i put three large rat traps on one of my feeders, one on each leg. cut some plastic disks and attached them to the thing the cheese goes on to make the set off mechanism bigger. then just drilled some holes in the wood base and zip tied them half way up the legs. after setting them two weekends in a row i had no coon problem for most of the season, they are smart and i guess figured out those **** things bit. towards the end of the season i had to have a refresher course and by that time (being out in the weather that long) the springs had rusted and they didnt have as much pop (luckily cause i got my dang thumb) but it was still enough to keep them off the rest of the season. now maybe they just moved, but i choose to think my traps had something to do with it and it felt good when i reset them to see little chunks of fur in them. my only regret is that my trail cam never caught the traps in action.

whitetailfanatic
05-22-2007, 03:14 PM
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u11/PET21664/coonstopper.jpg

SOMEONE SAID THEY TRIED THIS AND IT WORKED AND WAS NON TOXIC,YOU JUST
SMEAR THIS ON YOUR LEGS,AND UNDER YOUR FEEDER TUBES AND ON TOP OF THE TUBES. MYSELF I'M GONNA ELECTRIFY MY FEEDER FENCE AT THE BASE ABOUT 6" TO A FOOT UP FROM THE BOTTOM.FRY BABY FRY!!:D CAN'T WAIT

Dusty Britches
06-20-2007, 04:32 PM
well the 6 volt battery and kapow did not work. it shorted out somewhere.

so, i'm going to try to find the tanglefoot. where can i find it?

dhays
06-20-2007, 05:20 PM
I wonder if axle grease would work?

scotty
07-29-2007, 06:44 PM
Three weeks ago we went to the lease and installed 4'' pvc pipe on the feeder legs. We did not have one picture, out of about 2000, with a coon on the feeder tubes this week. It works.

Before

After

Burnadell
07-29-2007, 10:44 PM
Scotty, looks good! How did you attach the PVC to the legs? Are they attached loosely so they will rotate when the little robbers try to climb them?

scotty
07-30-2007, 07:26 PM
The PVC is 4" in diameter, so I bought three 4.5"- 1/4" bolts. Drilled a 1/4" hole through each leg, tilted the feeder. slid on the PVC pipe, and inserted the bolt through the leg. There weren't any tracks on the PVC from coons even trying to climb.

Thorson
07-30-2007, 08:06 PM
I wonder what keeps them from climbing up on the PVC. Maybe the texture, as in its too slick for them to climb?

scotty
07-30-2007, 08:23 PM
My guess is that the diameter is too large and it is too slick for them to get a grip on it.

Txag96
07-30-2007, 11:31 PM
I have been trapping the little guys and then putting mr. .22lr to their ears. Killed 6 so far and the damage to my corn has slowed alot. Hey buzzards need to eat too

TDH
08-02-2007, 10:38 PM
I've used the Tanglefoot before on posts we had our wood duck nesting boxes on..... Stops snakes,coons, bugs, etc from getting into the boxes. Don't know that I would put it on feeder legs though...it's the stickiest stuff I have ever messed with, even a month or two later.
IF you decide it is an option...
Use something to apply it that you plan on throwing away.
Wear a shirt that you plan on throwing away. You will get it on you, regardless of how hard you try not to.
Wear gloves, yes......that you can throw away.:)

Txag96
08-03-2007, 12:57 PM
update on the coon trapping, I got what I thought was the last of the little boogers about a week ago. The most I had ever seen at one time was 5. Well after I trapped number 5 and dispatched of him I saw more tracks in the mud, so I caught number 6. Then no tracks for a few days. I just got my pics back from the last few days and dang if there aren't 3 more of those thievin little jokers there now. So tonight, out goes the trap again. I didn't think that they traveled that far from one home area, and that they probly don't roam that much, but I am personally trying to exterminate 'em. I mean you can't trust 'em they always wear masks right? Anyone want some coon meat?

oh by the way, forget all of the tuna and cheese and all that, I just sprinkle corn inside the trap and they can't help but try and get it. I guess curiosity killed the coon too!!

Outdoorcrazy
08-05-2007, 03:46 PM
On my feeders I just make up a mixture of vasoline and chilly powder. Put on disposable gloves smear it on the legs, with the vasoline they can't grip it and with the chilly powder when they try to clean there paws they get it in there nose and eyes and drives them nuts.

dvinson
08-06-2007, 07:10 PM
I fastened a piece of stove pipe on the top side of my feeder legs.
The stove pipe is not snapped together, but "laying" on top of the legs
with the open side down. I just used a small self tapping screw at each
end to secure. I then put a liberal amount of grease on the legs and the
top of the stove pipe. I can see after 2 weeks were the coons have left scratch
marks in the grease on the low end, but didn't make it far at all. The dangling
stove pipe is unstable, slick, and has no gripping place. I believe it's going to do it.

hoser
09-26-2007, 03:26 PM
Between my hunting buds and myself, we've tried electrocution, pvc, vaseline, traps... everything except chemical and nuclear weapons. Several of us went to All Seasons with the spring loaded spinner plates, and not a single coon incident or mechanical failure since. Best thing I ever did and won't buy any thing else.

Two 10's
09-27-2007, 11:52 AM
I cut 20" circles of sheet metal and made a straight cut from the edge to the center. Then cut tabs outward from the center about 1". Rapped them around the legs of my feeder and poprivited them together forming a funnel pointing down. Attached them to the legs about 4' off the ground with hose clamps over the tabs. This worked like the discs on a ships docking rope to keep rats off ships and when the feeder went off you could hear the dinner bell a long ways off. The does would come running.

Joey~AP
09-27-2007, 12:02 PM
Just hire this dude!

Syr02
09-27-2007, 12:15 PM
sardines and antifreeze work pretty good

big_smith
09-28-2007, 07:42 AM
I tried pvc and had poor results. I finally took disc blades and cut out the center. I then welded tabs to the blades and slid them up the legs of my feeder. I used self tapping screws to screw the tabs to the legs of my feeder. It has worked great-no coons on the protein tube or spinner. They do tend to hang out under the feeder though. Have to 17hmr them later in the season.

cajundave
10-02-2007, 11:23 PM
Varmit zapper sold at Bass Pro. They don't mess with the feeders other than the corn on the ground. It deters cows because we all know that not much will stop a determined cow. Oh yeah, it will also deter those who fill the feeder as well.

texashunter74
10-05-2007, 12:46 PM
I used carpet tack strips and they work great. I had coons cleaning out a 85 gallon feeder in 6 weeks the day I put up the carpet tack strips they stopped coming. I never saw them again even on the game cam. I put 3 3 foot strips on each leg stagering the nails so they could not get their boney little toes between them.

DH2000
10-06-2007, 09:50 AM
I also used a few old disc blades on my feeder legs. The coons did not touch my feeder for years until the first time i put protien feed in it. Then they would even go after the corn. I tried the zapper from Bass Pro. They just ran the battery dead and then emptied all the corn. Since I put on the disc blades no coon problems.

big_smith
10-17-2007, 04:48 PM
These are before disc blades and after. As you can see I had a significant coon problem before, however I did not attach the pvc by chain. I had a peg at the bottom that the pipe sat on so that it would spin. It did not work. The discs have worked great.

rtarcher
11-15-2007, 02:35 PM
I'm using the Fi-*******. Bought at Tractor Supply. Runs off 2 D cell batteries.
My coons used to dump 200 lbs every 10 days. Now they don't even come near it!
I strapped it to the barrel and ran the hot wire around the spinner. Works like a charm!

Todd

kfd82
11-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Can you get pics of this posted? Thanks

Two 10's
11-19-2007, 10:38 AM
Spintech feeder stopped my problems great. Tried antifreeze and sardines on a platform where nothing else could get to it but the smell just scared every thing else away from my feeder. now its just the 22CB's to clean up the ground feeders, 9 so far.

Hot Dog
12-21-2007, 08:58 PM
I use carpet tack strips and they work great, coons gave up on my feeder. I have not seen a coon in the past 2 years since going with the carpet tacks. I just zip tie them to the legs high enough so they would have to climb a little and then hit the strips.

Ditto! Found blood and hair on mine at fisrt but no corn missin.

Firecuss
12-24-2007, 11:10 PM
$1.00 Jar of Vaseline, $1.00 bottle of Cayenne pepper, youre done.

Firecuss
12-24-2007, 11:24 PM
Hire this man TBH's own ZZTEX you are the man Wild Bill.

locoengineer
01-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Golden Malrin Fly Bait In A Pile Of Corn Deer Won't Eat It Coons Will They Won't Make It 20 Feet From The Corn

leebtattoos
01-30-2008, 02:01 PM
12 gauge, spotlight, and a six pack

41Chevy
01-31-2008, 01:45 PM
You just choke the little buggers.

Nate Riley
02-18-2008, 04:01 PM
Those must be some hungry coons to go over tack strip. Maybe you should hang some honey buns out for them.

Gofish24, that is great, I'm still laughing.