rotary hammer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rotary hammer

any input from you guys with experience with a rotary hammer... i need to poke some holes in some limestone ..1 1/2 inch for some t posts.. what is the best brand and where is the best place to buy..... thanks

I work for an industrial construction outfit and we buy Hilti brand. I don't know how much you are willing to spend but you may think about just renting one. Something to drill holes that big you are looking at around 700 atleast for gun and probably 100 to 200 for the bits, depending on how deep you want to drill. The deeper you want to go the more you will pay for the longer bits.

Comment

thanks

Comment

Since I just drilled holes in concrete for a gate, I have first hand knowledge in this endeavor....I used a hammer drill (Black and Decker) and got bits from a general hardware company and had heck drilling the holes...one of my buddies runs a rental company and got me a hilti drill ad the great bits....in less than 5 minutes I had all 16 holes drilled and was ready to place the hilti bolts down......rent a good hammer drill and buy their drill bits...it will save you time and money.....

Comment

was the tool your friend had a rotary hammer or hammer drill.... thanks again

Comment

For my property, I rented one of those large compressors (on a trailer), and a rock drill. It is the size of a jack-hammer, and heavy, but it drilled the holes great, then you just slip the post in the hole. You can do a BUNCH in a day if you alread have them marked out.
            Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by skyhawk View Post
              For my property, I rented one of those large compressors (on a trailer), and a rock drill. It is the size of a jack-hammer, and heavy, but it drilled the holes great, then you just slip the post in the hole. You can do a BUNCH in a day if you alread have them marked out.
              Good luck.
              We don't use them much but that is probably the best option now that I think about it. Good suggestion!

Comment

hilti is the best you can get

Comment

I just use my belltec

Comment

I agree with Skyhawk. I have a ranch out in the Hill Country. Solid rock. I've built a bunch of feed pins and some high fence. Trust me. Just rent the big rock hammer with the air compressor on the trailer and you will be amazed at how much you can get done in a day. Cuts through solid rock like butter. I think it's about $175 per day. If you have enough holes to drill it's well worth it.

Comment

I am fairly verse on equipment and depending on the amount of holes you have you might want to concider a rock drill. This is for the mjost part a air powered machine which will need a towable air compressor and you can drill through rock quickly and easily as compared to a hammer drill. It will be much more expensive to buy but it will cut the time by a fraction. This is only recomended if you have alot ot holes. Any rental yard should have one.

Comment

Working...
                      X