PDA

View Full Version : Solar Feeder Hog Lights?

Zack
02-02-2007, 08:20 AM
Anyone got any DIY plans?

Thanks,

Zack

Big_gun
02-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Yeah come on... would like to see some as well... I have heard of folks just bolting on regular solar yard lights to their barrels.

huntinfool
02-02-2007, 01:36 PM
I've given out plans in the past and have been promised a hog hunt or two...and in 3 years I haven't gone once.

I'll dig around and see if I can find my plans again.

OPC Patrick
02-02-2007, 01:40 PM
I have the $39.00 kit that comes from Home Depot or Lowe's. I mounted it on a 3'' PVC pipe thats about 10' tall. I ran the wires on the inside of the pipe to keep the animals off of it. I liked this method because it allows me to slide the pipe over a tpost and change locations. Meaning 3 feeder locations one set of lights. It can be seen behind the feeder. The thing runs on 3AA rechargeable batteries. If I plan on spending the entire night I put in a fresh set of batteries other wise the normal ones get a little dim after 4 hours. If it was in the clear cut it might last longer on the rechargeable. They will light up about a 20 yard circle around the feeder.

stxhunter
02-02-2007, 02:46 PM
I use the same setup as mentioned above, but I put mine inside an old ammo case.

Cuz
02-02-2007, 06:06 PM
Patrick,is your setup motion sencered?

Burnadell
02-02-2007, 07:44 PM
I use the same setup as mentioned above, but I put mine inside an old ammo case.

stxhunter, please explain...what do you put inside an ammo case?

txtimetravler
02-02-2007, 08:57 PM
wonder if you could run this off a 6volt recharable feeder battery?

Gold
02-03-2007, 10:32 AM
The solar powered lights from Home Depot (about $45) work great! I just zip tied them to the legs of my feeder. Make sure to have them pointed away from your blind so they don't shine in your eyes......

Burnadell
02-03-2007, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the pics, Gold...what's the pie pan for?

Graybow
02-03-2007, 05:22 PM
I was wondering the same thing about the pie pan.

huntinfool
02-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Those lights will work fine, the biggest drawback is the small solar panel. They need an all day direct sun light to last any length of time. But they do work.

stxhunter
02-03-2007, 07:18 PM
I didnt put anything inside the ammo can, i just bolted the lights to it. This way the unit is portable and I can use bungee cords to secure it to a tree, post or whatever is near the area I am going to hunt.

Burnadell
02-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Okay, stxhunter...I like that idea.

Gold
02-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Beraldel and Graybow,

You've heard of the "dinner bell"? Well, the pie pan is just that. I have it lined up so that when my feeder throws the corn hits it! You can hear it from a long way off. I don't know if it helps, but it hasn't seemed to hurt....

Graybow
02-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Hey Gold, thats pretty neat! HAdn't thought about that. It should work. Deer that are in the area hear them go off. With the added noise, should draw them from farther away.

Burnadell
02-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Excellent...you should patent that idea, Gold. LOL

stxhunter
02-03-2007, 10:56 PM
I was also thinking about adding these to the bottom of my feeder for some added light. Simple, inexpensive and seem like they would help out a bit http://www.elusivewildlife.com/products.htm?section=22&p=productMore&iProduct=31

oktx
02-07-2007, 09:35 AM
Is there a way to turn te solar lights off if you are not there to prevent theft if you are not there? Or would the hogs never get used to it?

Cuz
02-07-2007, 12:47 PM
Do you guys not add a colored lense?Red,blue,orange something.Doesnt the plain white light scare them off?

OPC Patrick
02-07-2007, 01:33 PM
The solar panel has a switch that could be turned on or off and would prevent people from seeing it. On the other hand unless they are or pointed toward a road the chances are slim it will put out that much light someone would notice. I did not put any filters over my lights. They are a pale blue color, it took less than a week for the animals to get used to them. I have noticed the mature bucks tend to skirt the lighted area, I turn them off when deer hunting. I am afraid that if you turned them on only when you where there hunting the hogs would learn... Lights on = death.

Dusty Britches
02-08-2007, 12:41 PM
I have noticed the mature bucks tend to skirt the lighted area, I turn them off when deer hunting. I am afraid that if you turned them on only when you where there hunting the hogs would learn... Lights on = death.

Tell me you aren't hunting deer at night....:) And yes, I agree with you about hogs learning that light = death.

I have the Malibu lights and they come on just as it is getting dark, but you really don't notice them until the ground is too dark to see. They stay on all night, too. I've had them on my feeder since last summer.

Jmh05
02-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Is it true though that the red won't disturbe the animals?

dgilbert
02-09-2007, 04:33 PM
I saw these lights yesteday at walmat for $35, I do not know if they have a on/off switch or not. Fixen to buy me a set, I like the PVC/T-post idea. Thanks for sharing.

ranchdog
02-09-2007, 06:26 PM
The solar panel has a switch that could be turned on or off and would prevent people from seeing it. On the other hand unless they are or pointed toward a road the chances are slim it will put out that much light someone would notice. I did not put any filters over my lights. They are a pale blue color, it took less than a week for the animals to get used to them. I have noticed the mature bucks tend to skirt the lighted area, I turn them off when deer hunting. I am afraid that if you turned them on only when you where there hunting the hogs would learn... Lights on = death.

OPC Patrick,

I bought the light kit, now how did you mount them on to the PVC? What size PVC was it? Looks like 2 inch.

Thanks, Ranchdog

RustyRanchero
02-09-2007, 07:19 PM
That is a very good idea...Thanks for posting pics!

OPC Patrick
02-11-2007, 05:35 PM
no I'm not deer hunting at night... but my game cam tells the story of the bucks skirting the lights. Even a new boar will sometimes circle before giving way to the lighted corn.

I used a 2" PVC pipe. The light kit I bought had two types of mounts. The stakes and a mounting set that you could screw in. So I predrilled holes in the pipe for the wires. Then mounted the panel toward the top. The lights slip over the mounts so they can slide off or twist for directions. I used a wire hanger to pull the wire through the pipe. I suggest cutting the pipe so that you can reach the panel without removing it from the t-post. I left my the 10' and I have to stand on the tree stump to turn mine on or off or change the batteries.

If you look at the pic in #9 post of gold's you can see the screw mounts on the lights and the spike mount shown on the solar panel.

I keep the rechargeable batteries in there all the time except when I am hunting I use a fresh set of Energizers. This way they are supper bright all night. The hogs get used to seeing them on and some days they are brighter, they don't seem to notice. Most of the times I stay and hunt hogs I know what time to expect them due to the camera. Very seldom is it past 10 o'clock. However I have gone back and slept in my truck and get back out there before light and they were still bright when they turned off due to dawn.

One thing I have noticed while hunting hogs at night is the little ones charge in and get to the food first. Soon after the bigger ones will push off the little ones and then big daddy will show up and claim the corn hole as his. If you are looking for a meat hog somewhere between 50-80lbs I have had trouble with these being pushed out of the light by big daddy. I am thinking of getting a second set or maybe one of the single lights by themselves and aiming it a small corn pile.

I am also playing with a brake peddle (of sorts) an LED break light hooked to a 12v battery controlled by a button I can turn on by stepping on it. These LED breaks lights are bright. With a little speaker wire, a push button, and a battery I am thinking I can add some light. Plus I think it is cool to turn on a light and drop the hammer.

oktx
02-12-2007, 06:19 AM
Does the light kit come with rechargable batteries? What size are they? Do you change out the regular batteries after you hunt? Thanks, oktx.

OPC Patrick
02-12-2007, 07:52 AM
The kit does come with batteries, three AA rechargeable. I have been changing out the Energizers after the hunt. I may get two full nights off of one set. You could also buy a second set of Malibu rechargeable batteries and keep those freshly charged for a hunt. Then you could leave them in and take the other set home for a full charge. Home depot and Lowe's both sale the lights and the batteries.

innergel
02-13-2007, 04:55 PM
I used the solar light last summer and it worked great. Although I only used a single light. I had it mounted in a tree right next to my popup. I think I will add another one or two this year to get me just that little bit more light on the target area.

ByronB
02-13-2007, 05:14 PM
I will take a picture of my setup next time I am at the lease. I also use the Malibu lights. I put the solar panel and lights inside of the cage that goes around my Spincast. I shine the three lights straight down on the feeding area. Works great!

woody
07-04-2007, 12:35 PM
Here's what happens when a redneck has too much time on his hands. it's raining today, so i thought I would make a hog feeder light like the one OKC Patrick posted. This is a simple design made from 2" pvc with a cap on both ends to keep rain & wasps out. The pipe protects the wires and the pull ties are a great idea as i can swivel the lights in a number of directions to get the best light and no glare in my eyes. Thanks, for all your posts, this is a great idea. Woody

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/632/poppygrandma50th031xp4.th.jpg (http://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?image=poppygrandma50th031xp4.jpg)

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/8238/poppygrandma50th030ek7.th.jpg (http://img512.imageshack.us/my.php?image=poppygrandma50th030ek7.jpg)

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/4225/poppygrandma50th032ih5.th.jpg (http://img260.imageshack.us/my.php?image=poppygrandma50th032ih5.jpg)

djc
01-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Do you guys just use the white light? Or do you add a red filter?

stxhunter
01-29-2008, 09:49 PM
just the white lights, they get used to it in no time