PDA

View Full Version : Installing Wood floors

Flint knapper
01-29-2007, 03:17 PM
How hard is it to instal laminate wood floors! I'm thinking about putting wood floors in all of my house except for the bedrooms.

Thanks
:o

TXJon
01-29-2007, 03:26 PM
Do you mean laminate, or wood? Laminate is not too hard. If you are reasonably handy, have a decent chop saw and a jig saw you should be fine. It will eat your saw blades.

Maybe you want to spend a little time in a house that has it, before you put it in yours. It's very noisy, especially if you have kids. I have had some people tell me their dogs won't walk on it. Maybe that's not a bad thing.

Solid hardwood is another story.

barnett76522
01-29-2007, 06:25 PM
its not bad at all if you take your time and make sure everything is perfect. make sure you get enough if your going with laminate or at least ask wherever your buying it from if they keep that style in stock. have seen some buy then install and be short go back to the store and they don't carry it any more.

Lethal Injection
01-29-2007, 07:48 PM

Lethal Injection
01-29-2007, 07:49 PM
Do you mean laminate, or wood? Laminate is not too hard. If you are reasonably handy, have a decent chop saw and a jig saw you should be fine. It will eat your saw blades.

Maybe you want to spend a little time in a house that has it, before you put it in yours. It's very noisy, especially if you have kids. I have had some people tell me their dogs won't walk on it. Maybe that's not a bad thing.

Solid hardwood is another story.We just had the laminate installed in my house and in my opinion the only positive side is that they are easier to clean. The floors are colder, harder and makes the room alot louder so now the ol lady wants to cover them with rugs, go figure.:rolleyes:

kdenhead
01-29-2007, 09:02 PM
We installed laminate about a year ago.

We chose laminate over 'real' wood b/c of our dawg. He had ruined the Bruce hardwood floor in our entry (he would run to the front door to check on squirrels!).

We are pleased with the Wilsonart product we chose. It is LOUD compared to carpet and our old hardwood. BUT, it is TOUGH. The dawg or the three kids have yet to make a mark on it. Very easy to keep. We removed all carpet downstairs and have nothing but laminate or c-tile.

Go with a name brand and buy the better/best stuff. Ours ended up being more expensive than some of the hardwoods.

kc

Shadow
01-29-2007, 09:21 PM
We just had the laminate installed in my house and in my opinion the only positive side is that they are easier to clean. The floors are colder, harder and makes the room alot louder so now the ol lady wants to cover them with rugs, go figure.:rolleyes:

did you happen to use the sound dampening insulation? It's a bit more money up front but saves in the end. Also going from carpet to any hard floor is going to "echo" more. Carpet absorbs sound so it doesn't "bounce" around room. You can use a small area rug and that should suffice.

Sticks&Strings
01-31-2007, 03:42 PM
It is great if you have dogs. Tough as nails. It is loud, so you will probably need a rug, and maybe a couple trees or plants to help absorb the noise.

Flint knapper
01-31-2007, 04:10 PM
I have a hallway with two rooms. The problem that I might have is when going from one room to the hall way and then to the other room.

cj7zrcool
01-31-2007, 05:31 PM
I'm planning on selling my house this year, so I ripped out all the carpet & vinyl and replaced it with laminate flooring & ceramic tile. Love the tile, HATE the laminate for the same reasons stated above. Cold & LOUD. My 65# boxer walks around on it at night and it sounds like Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly having a tap-off until he jumps back up on the sofa. It's friggin' LOUD, I'm tellin' ya.

Mudslinger
02-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Because of our 2 Rotts, we pulled the carpet in our living room, dining room and kitchen and installed ceramic tile. Yes it is cold, but not noisy and very easy to clean. I think the look with the right tile is just as good as wood flooring. The wood or laminate flooring is not that hard to install. Like it was said above, a good miter saw, jigsaw and maybe a coping saw, a little time and good knee pads and you will be to go. Go luck and post pics after you finish.

tjb86
05-11-2012, 11:13 PM
like stated above not to hard if you can read a tape measure and use a saw.

dustoffer
05-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Just finished off our house--my recommendation is to not use the floating floor--but the glue-down type.

And, yes, it is a bit noisier and colder, but easier to clean, and unlike carpet, doesn't wear out in high-traffic areas.

Ol Thumper
05-11-2012, 11:31 PM
Sliding miter saw, table saw, jig saw, tape measure, rubber coated dead blow hammer and a laminate install kit and your good to go.

cjkozik
05-12-2012, 12:11 AM
Very easy to install the hardest thing is around door jambs. It can get a little tricky having to pop a piece together under one. If you run into problems post some pics and I'm sure there are enough people on here to walk you through any difficult spots you may run across. What ever you do, don't go the cheap route on your vapor barrier/ padding.

Brazos Hunter
05-12-2012, 12:25 AM
I made the mistake of cutting the flooring flush to the base boards. Save yourself a bunch of work and leave an 1/8" gap all around! If you don't, it WILL buckle!

Brazos Hunter
05-12-2012, 12:27 AM
Oh, I ran the 6mil vapor barrier and taped all the seams and ends.

Ol Thumper
05-12-2012, 12:32 AM
I made the mistake of cutting the flooring flush to the base boards. Save yourself a bunch of work and leave an 1/8" gap all around! If you don't, it WILL buckle!

Leave a 1/4" gap at least!! I took my base boards up and actually went closer to 3/8" to be safe. I just layed 2,000 sq of it, it's not bad at all. Just do the math before you start sonyou don't end up with a tiny piece up against a wall.

Brazos Hunter
05-12-2012, 12:39 AM
Leave a 1/4" gap at least!! I took my base boards up and actually went closer to 3/8" to be safe. I just layed 2,000 sq of it, it's not bad at all. Just do the math before you start sonyou don't end up with a tiny piece up against a wall.

I just did mine too. Had to buy a rotozip to trim all the ends:( At least I got a new tool out of the deal.

Ol Thumper
05-12-2012, 12:42 AM
Sweet tool to own!! I recently bought the dremel version myself. All my doors, frames and molding were out so mine was pretty easy.

rockyraider
05-13-2012, 11:38 PM
I've done tile, glue down wood, and just finished our entire upstairs in hand scraped laminate in our house. The laminate isn't my first choice but it has some positive attributes. Its tough, easy to install, and is economical. Large area rugs really help break it up and make it look nice. The only drawbacks is that it sounds sorta hollow when you walk on it and naturally, it doesn't look exactly like real wood. In my opinion, the hand scraped versions are much closer in looks to real wood and it doesn't have that flat, fake look like a traditional laminate. I used a 12mm hand scraped laminate from Lumber Liquidators and I was really impressed with the quality. Very thick, well made laminate. Watch the Lumber Liquidator web sight as they have sales at least once a month. The laminate I bought typically sales for $2.79/sq ft and I bought it on sale for $1.79/sq ft. At that price, its tough to beat. I wouldn't put it in my living room necessarily, I'd opt for something nicer like a real wood or a nice ceramic tile, but for our upstairs area, bedrooms, computer room, hallway, its great. Installation was hard work, but not too difficult if your handy. I had to remove carpet, padding, and the tack strip. I also opted to pull all of the baseboards, sand and repaint, and then reset on top of the flooring. I think that really helped it look good and its a much better option than quarter round in my opinion. Its not really much more work than installing quarter round and its a much more professional finish. Good luck, let me know if you have any questions and I'd be glad to give you some pointers.

As far as what tools you will need, chop saw, pry bars, several chisles, hammers, tap blocks, tape measure, laminate flooring spacers, etc. One of the most valuable tools I used during my install was one of those vibrating hand saws that are so popular now. I bought one from Harbor Freight for like $25 and it was invaluable. I used it to undercut all of my baseboards and to make small cuts where I needed to notch things.

I'm not sure where you are located but if you are anywhere around Round Rock or ever make it to the Austin area, I'd be happy to let you look at my work and walk you through the install.

brushtrooper
05-14-2012, 09:24 AM
I put in Allure vinyl plank a little over a year ago in our house. Did the house complete with it and really like it. Its not noisy, does not scratch , no underlayment, stick to itself..no glueing down when installing. The planks have an adhesive edge that you connect each plank with, all you need to cut it is a sharp knove/box cutter. Might be worth checking out. Have 2 dogs, one little mutt and Catahuola that runs around in here all the time and have yet to see any scratches from them.
Home depot has the Allure and Lowes has a different brand, same thing though. My inlaws have the laminate floor and its 10x louder than the Allure. In the bathrooms I did use a sealer around all the edges/toilet to keep water from getting under it.

rockyraider
05-14-2012, 11:30 AM
Let me see if these pics work.

rockyraider
05-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Couple more.

scott123456789
05-14-2012, 12:16 PM
I would absolutely not put it anywhere that liquid will ever be near. We bought nearly the most expensive version lowes sells and have warping due to water damage. Twice we left a small amount of drink on the coffee table, cat knocked over the glass and now the seems where the glass spilled have bowed slightly. Had an issue with our brand new dishwasher leaking and had a bad spot in the kitchen now too.

I am now very anti-laminate. But it is cheaper and easier.

brushtrooper
05-14-2012, 01:09 PM
I would absolutely not put it anywhere that liquid will ever be near. We bought nearly the most expensive version lowes sells and have warping due to water damage. Twice we left a small amount of drink on the coffee table, cat knocked over the glass and now the seems where the glass spilled have bowed slightly. Had an issue with our brand new dishwasher leaking and had a bad spot in the kitchen now too.

Thats the exact reason we went with the vinyl plank. The main reason I had to put new floor in was that water line going to the toilet had broke over the weekend we were out of town. When we got home, had water running out the garage. So carpet and everything came out, we were looking at laminate @ lumbar liquidators and I asked the question on what if a flood..he replied it would be completely ruined. Then I found Allure which has alot of choices for wood looks. Oh yea and I turn the water off to the house when going out of town now.. This is what we went with

wsteffen
05-14-2012, 02:59 PM

Solid hardwood is another story.

Dogs are even worse as far as noise.

rockyraider
05-14-2012, 05:27 PM

Wood will do it too, if your worried about water go with tile. Wood/laminate requires some preventative maintenance, but it really shouldn't cause you any unnecessary grief. Ours has withstood two kids and two dogs just fine, and were not overly careful with ours.

Leon County Slayer
05-14-2012, 08:09 PM
I'm confused...the fella asked about this in January and all of a sudden people are still giving feedback - haaaaa....so what did you go with? (and I hope someone mentioned kneepads or you'll be replying from the hospital)

mark500
05-21-2012, 05:13 AM
Laminate and hardwood flooring are two different types of flooring. Hardwood flooring adds beauty, easy to repair and natural, but on other side it easily scratched and weak against water. Laminate flooring cheaper and easier to install, durable and easier to clean, but it is noisy and hard to repair.

Ol Thumper
05-21-2012, 07:07 AM
I'm confused...the fella asked about this in January and all of a sudden people are still giving feedback - haaaaa....so what did you go with? (and I hope someone mentioned kneepads or you'll be replying from the hospital)

Good catch :) I didn't notice the op date lol

tomhicklin
05-21-2012, 10:28 PM
I put 1100 sq ft of Wilsonart laminate in my house a few years ago. When the water heater busted, the flooring had to come up. I dryed it out, then re-installed it. The next time I an going to look hard at a good grade of sheet vinal flooring that looks like wood. That will solve the water problem, it will be quiter and maybe about the same price.

victoryvette
05-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Bushtrooper what is the brand of flooring you bought and what is it called?

victoryvette
05-30-2012, 07:14 PM
Bushtrooper what is the brand of flooring you bought and what is it called?

Disregard, I scrolled back up and found the answer to my question.

Joe H
05-30-2012, 08:53 PM

Yep. January of 2007, over 5 years ago.