PDA

View Full Version : Elm Creek Outfitters

Heath
10-22-2006, 10:30 PM
Any reports? I am heading at the end of November.

g2bowhunter
10-23-2006, 09:48 PM
I will let you know theres a group of 4 of us going the first weekend of November hopefully I will have some pics to post! I know opening weekend a guy shot a nice 11 point still in velvet there!! Talked to Jacob a couple of days ago and he said the deer are really moving I hope we have a great hunt!

El Jeffe
10-27-2006, 02:14 PM
Deer were moving alot I just never got a shot saw some really nice deer though. The bunk house is almost finished so you wont have to stay in the Travel trailers if you dont want to. I also moved the pit over by the cabin so you dont have to use a flashlight to cook.

Maroon Blade
10-30-2006, 09:55 PM
Heath, where is this place at? I'm looking around for a place to book a 2-3 day hunt towards December/Jan. and couldn't find any info via Google.

Thanks

Heath
10-31-2006, 12:22 PM
The hunt is with Jacob Fohn of Elm Creek Outfitters. His place is 1000+ acres (out of a 2200 acre family ranch) low fenced outside of Brackettville, Tx. The cost is $125.00 per day two day minimum, 50% deposit upon booking, there is no kill fee on whitetail, as long as they are 3.5 years old. He has access to another 1000 ranch, but each animal has kill fees on it.

Here is Jacob's contact info.
830-765-4493
830-563-2579
jakefawn AT yahoo.com (replace AT with @)

I have hunted about 6 day leases and I love to hunt them. I am always looking for the next good day lease. From all the reports and what I have talked with Jacob I think this is going to be a good hunt. I have only heard great things about how Jacob goes above and beyond to help put you on game. I believe this is the second year of operation, but do not quote me on that. If you call you may mention you read about this from Texasbowhunter.com.

Maroon Blade
10-31-2006, 04:52 PM
Thanks Heath, I'll have to give him a call.

g2bowhunter
10-31-2006, 07:28 PM
There is 4 of us heading out to Bracketville this weekend been looking forwarf to this hunt! I will let everyone know how it goes.

Heath
11-07-2006, 12:43 PM
g2bowhunter,

I hope you have some good updates for us on Elm Creek?

g2bowhunter
11-07-2006, 02:19 PM
We just got back from a 3 day hunt let me tell you it was awesome! 6 sitting I probably saw 120 to 130 deer 90% were bucks! This place is loaded with deer saw a few really nice deer but were to far off for a shot! Give this place another year and all of those 2 year old bucks are going to be Nice! Jacob is a great guy and wants nothing more than his clients getting deer! Hes no typical outfitter hes just really down to earth! I shot a doe Saturday morning my buddie Chuck shot a 3 year old 8 and Shawn shot a 8. Ive allready booked another hunt for December! If someone will help me out I will get pics posted

Heath
11-07-2006, 02:29 PM
That is great news g2bowhunter! I keep hearing all the positive things about Elm Creek. My group is going Nov. 26th to 30th for 4 days so I hope to give you a good update. Please post any pictures you have of the deer and the land. I am getting pumped about my hunt.

g2bowhunter
11-07-2006, 02:41 PM
Heath Email me and I will send you some pics

Heath
11-07-2006, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the updates. Here are g2bowhunters pics and congrats to the hunters.

stevesflyshop
11-08-2006, 12:05 AM
Wow - nice nontypical!

beattywhitetailranch
11-09-2006, 09:55 AM
ha, man i cant wait to see one of those nontypics! iv heard all bout them, people callem BS bucks, right??

g2bowhunter
11-09-2006, 03:52 PM
Jacob had some Axis horns laying around so we thought it would be funny too put them on my Doe! Just having fun

El Jeffe
11-09-2006, 04:21 PM
I saw those layin around while I was there. Which stand did you get that doe at? Those pics where from stand 4 right.

g2bowhunter
11-09-2006, 10:29 PM
I shot the doe out of stand 6! Yes the pics are from 4! I did hunt the no name stand 1 sitting saw a few deer there but they were real skidish I think someone got busted from there they kept circleing me but never could make me out! That place is awesome cant wait to get back in dec for some rutting activity.

m'gobo
11-10-2006, 05:05 AM
Is ther a site on these guys? All I can find is a guide school.

g2bowhunter
11-10-2006, 06:49 AM
No Jacob has not gotten around to makeing a web site yet! Here is the info if you would like too contact Jacob!Here is Jacob's contact info.
830-765-4493
830-563-2579
jakefawn AT yahoo.com (replace AT with @) If you have any ?s about the place Im me and I can try too answer them!

m'gobo
11-10-2006, 09:01 PM
Cool! I had to look at the beast you got there twice. Once me and a buddy did that with two sets of rattiling horns. It looked narley to say the least!

Heath
11-20-2006, 02:12 PM
Any recent news on Elm Creek?

I am heading there on Sunday for 4 days of hunting.

g2bowhunter
11-20-2006, 10:46 PM
good luck Heath let me know how it was heading back out on Dec20 threw 21

beattywhitetailranch
11-24-2006, 07:29 PM
Would anyone be interested in goin with Heaths group this sunday? i have an emergency and will not be able to make it with them! anyone please?!

GARY
11-24-2006, 08:46 PM
Wish I could get off, it would be a honor to hunt with the famous HEATH!!

:)

Heath
11-25-2006, 11:55 PM
Gary,

It would be the other way around and my honor.

The car is packed, off to 6th street to chase two legged deer before I chase 4 legged deer at Elm Creek. I have my laptop so maybe I can do updates. Should be a great hunt with good friends.

g2bowhunter
11-26-2006, 07:02 PM
Cant wate for the updates

Tomme
11-27-2006, 06:47 PM
Ok I'm going Dec 1-5. can anyone give me any tips on how to hunt the place. Also, is it ok to bring my own tripods etc.

thanks,

Tomme

GARY
11-27-2006, 08:42 PM
Tomme,

I hunted it last year. Personally, I found the stands they had in place to be more than adequate. They were set up well and the deer seemed very low pressured, given it's a day lease. Saying that, I still had my lightweight tripod, that I found good use for when the wind was wrong or I just felt like a move was a good thing to do. Took my double bull as well, but never set it up. I would take it again though.

How to hunt the place depends entirely on how many hunters you have with you. I was fortunate enough to have only one other hunter with me when I hunted it for four days. This gave us full run of the place and the ability to hunt every "pasture" / "alloted space". Personally, I would go when I could take the whole camp (regardless of the size) with my buddies. This allows for more rotations to different stands, than might be allowed among strangers.

g2bowhunter
11-27-2006, 09:33 PM
Yeah Jacob has the stands set up very well they are well hidden and the deer are not very spooked! Just got off the phone with him and he said the bucks have pretty much split up and they are finding a few scrapes! I cant wait too get back in Dec 20 threw the 22nd

superg
11-29-2006, 03:44 AM
hey g2, go to rate the day lease. check out jack brittinghams rancho encandato, scroll down to howard, my videos, and check out "sausage howard style. he has other good videos to.

Heath
11-29-2006, 06:32 PM
I just got back from Elm Creek this afternoon. My group took no animals on the day lease ranch, but several of us passed up a lot of slam dunk shots at does. RJ (RJJR on TBH) did hunt another ranch that Jacob has access to and took a huge painted desert ram and a Oryx. Mostly real young bucks and does where seen by everyone. I was seeing 10-12 deer per hunt, but nothing I wanted to shoot. The weather was very hot while hunting and we had to deal with sheep on the ranch that made the hunting very tough. Jacob is a stand up guy and goes above and beyond to make sure you have a good time and a great time. We had a blast at camp with good people.

Tomme,
Send me an PM or email and I will give you lots of useful info for your hunt.

GARY
11-29-2006, 06:58 PM
Yeah, i had forgotten about the sheep. He really needs to do something them as they're a royal pain in the arse, and ruined one of my hunts as well.

Tomme
11-29-2006, 11:18 PM
Just got back from my lease. Fun but hot.

Thanks for the info Gary. I think I'll tuck in a 10 ft tripod and maybe the 8.

Heath an email is on the way.

Boy this cold front is hitting just right for our hunt. I can't wait.

otistee
12-11-2006, 12:50 PM
Just got back from a 3 day hunt at Elm Creek yesterday. The rut is just beginning and the larger bucks are starting to move. I wish I could be there next weekend. The next few weeks should be great. Several large bucks were seen and one missed by one off our group. I shot a doe but never got a chace at a buck. Thats hunting. I think I would consider taking tripod or pop up because the deer do seem to have the stands located, but thats typical of a day lease by this time of the year. I went twice last year and once this year and we have all ready booked a hunt for next year. I like it that much. Jacob, if you read this, I hope you enjoy the knife.

LuBowhunter
12-12-2006, 05:58 PM
im thinking of booking a hunt with elm creek real soon any one interested in goin with me my buddys all have other plans

g2bowhunter
12-16-2006, 10:59 PM
Theres 4 of us heading down on the 20 for a 3 day hunt cant wate Jacob said the bucks are really on the move! I will update when we get back

Tomme
12-17-2006, 10:41 PM
My buddy Jay and I hunted there Dec 1-5. I have to agree with those who say that Jacob is a great guy. One of the best all time. Accomodations are a little rough on a cold day unless you're in the large trailer. I might recommend bringing extra heaters. Sheep can be a problem, but I found out that if you make a spitting noise, it's their alarm cry and they'll leave. I had deer come in after that.

It's nice to have stands already set up (especially for the first evening hunt), but I think you may do better if you bring your own stand and set it up either away from the feeder or down wind of the established stand. I did that, fed in front and then BLEW a shot on a nice buck. (I'm blaming it on an equipment malfunction....yeah that must be it).

Left feeling good about the hunt, even without any meat or horns. That's as good a recommendation as I think I can give any place.

TexasRack
12-26-2006, 02:31 PM
Just returned from a 4some this past weekend (December 21st, 22nd and 23rd) and what a great place. Jacob is a fantastic fella with warm (not a 5 star hotel either..a true hunting camp which I so appreciate) and extremely comfortable accomodations. Comfortable beds, shower, running water and heaters when needed...awesome.

We arrived about a day or two before the true "RUT" started but sat in the stands on Saturday morning and BOY did they turn on. I personally shot just over the back of about a 135-140 class 8 point (don't get me started..completely my fault, rushed the shot) with about a 19" inside spread. We also witnessed more than one deer at or over 10 points..all P&Y shooters (just not in range at that time). Even before the "big boys" began to roam I still never sat in a single place that I didn't see just an incredible amount of deer. Opening day I had at least 7 doe at the feeder and an awesome young (2 to 2 1/2 year old) 6 point already past his ears and gaining mass and tine length.

Even though I didn't take one, the experience, professionalism and down right "down home, welcome to the family" type atmosphere has now made me without doubt an annual customer (probably many more times than once a year).

Gang if you want an incredible experience with true potential for buck pushing the 150 plus range...do not pass on Elm Creek. My first time was filled with memories I will cherish for a life time. Jacob thanks so much for everything..you are a true "redneck" gentleman....I look forward to seeing you many more times in the future.

Bill Donahue aka. TexasRack.

g2bowhunter
12-27-2006, 03:26 PM
I wish we would have been there for the whole week Bill! I had a great time even though we had too clean up after everyone. Hey give me a call this week!

g2bowhunter
01-04-2007, 07:38 PM
Just got off the phone with Jacob he wanted me too let everyone no that he has this weekend open if anyone is interested in going. He said the deer are still rutting heavy and shooters are being seen daily. Just passing the word on his computer is down.

big papa
08-22-2008, 03:02 AM
Does anybody know if there is a website for this ranch. Or the contact info. What about prices?

Dr. D
08-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Does anybody know if there is a website for this ranch. Or the contact info. What about prices?

Did you read the thread? check out post #5.:)

big papa
08-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Yes I read it. However since it is an older post I thought maybe someone had found a website for it.

bow1000
08-26-2008, 10:50 PM
how many people does it take to get the entire ranch for your group

rebel_bowhunter
08-26-2008, 11:04 PM
web site

mathews8886
08-31-2008, 09:54 PM
the most he wants is 6 and the rate jumped up to $125 a day because of corn prices

matthews1227
09-25-2008, 11:25 PM
going to Elm Creek for the first weekend, hope to have lots to tell yall about when I get back. We had a great time last year with Jacob and dont expect any less this year.

big papa
09-26-2008, 03:54 AM
Good Luck. Let us know how you do.