Will it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will it work?

Looking at the other thread regarding metal blinds, will spray paint stick to corrugated tin? I have enough metal to build 3 or 4 6x6 blinds, but i want to be able to paint them. I dont want to put a big, shiny, silver box out in the woods to hunt out of. If spray paint wont work, what are my options?

It should work.

Comment

Yes but make sure you clean the tin good of dirt and oil. use a primer base and then the paint will stick good.

Comment

is it galvanized? New? Put a rubber glove on and wipe it down with Vinegar or pickle juice, then wash off. If you have several sheets to paint it might be cheaper to buy a gallon of primer that says it sticks to galvanized metal and just roller apply.

Comment

When camoing blinds I like to use gray Rustoleum primer as a base coat, then go with progressively darker colors -green then brown then black to paint limbs or trees or whatever. That will give it more visual depth - like Predator or ASAT camo - the base coat/background should be the lightest color.

Comment

Originally posted by wassaw View Post
            is it galvanized? New? Put a rubber glove on and wipe it down with Vinegar or pickle juice, then wash off. If you have several sheets to paint it might be cheaper to buy a gallon of primer that says it sticks to galvanized metal and just roller apply.
            what about ascetone (sp?)?

Comment

acetone will get rid of the greasy stuff, the vinegar and pickle juice act as a opener, mild acid etching if you will, opens the metal for better adhesion.

Comment

Rhino line it...with the mat black as the base coat. The rubberizing will help keep is somewhat silent...

Comment

Originally posted by Knight in Mossy Oak View Post
                  Rhino line it...with the mat black as the base coat. The rubberizing will help keep is somewhat silent...
                  what do you think about the undercoatin spray that can be bought at Auto Zone?

thanks for the ideas, keep em comin!

Comment

For what you would pay for the undercoating spray you could buy some raptor liner this is a type of bedliner. I think 100 bucks for a kit and it is tintable as well. Just need a compressor and regulator and you can spray it any color you want. I sprayed it on a couple of trucks and it worked well for me.

Comment

If the metal is glavanized, your plain shake shake will stick for a little while, but it will flake off after a couple of seasons. We were trying to paint a couple of sheds on the ranch a few years ago, and we talked to the manager at the Sherwin Williams store. He told me that using regular paint over galvanized material causes a chemical reaction known as "soapification", which will limit the adhesion of the paint and cause it to come off after a couple of years. They make a special paint for galvanized material, or you can just re-shoot it every couple of years...

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
                        what about ascetone (sp?)?
                        go get a big honkin bottle of acetone and a windex bottle and go to town.

wipe it down while it's still wet and it'll scare you what comes off of it

Comment

Working...
                        X