PDA

View Full Version : What would you pay for this entire setup?

DerekC
11-28-2008, 03:04 PM
CANON EF 500MM LENS AND CANON EF 1.4X11, LENS CAP AND GITZO G1325 CARBON FIBER TRIPOD. I have a chance to buy this whole setup. I am not a photog guy, I buy stuff and sell it. Lense and adapter sell for $5900 camera $300? Carbon fiber tripod is $125 and mount for lens to tripod is $189...you think a camera shop would buy this stuff and what is a fair asking price??

Thanks-
Derek

DerekC
11-28-2008, 04:46 PM
or should I say what is it worth (besides "Whatever someone is willing to pay :) )

Atfulldraw
11-28-2008, 05:12 PM
There are some awfully expensive parts in that setup.....that's a serious setup for birders!!

Lens new $5,700 -- USED maybe 4,900 depending on condition (although you can order one from Canada new for less than that....) what's the date code on the lens??

Teleconverter new $265 -- they retain value pretty well, so say $250

Camera (30d??) $500 used -- the market is flooded with them now, so your $300 may not be a bad number to use

I think that tripod is worth more than that (maybe $250)

If that's a Wimberly (between the tripod and the lens) it's about $600 by itself.

Then, the lens cover is close to $100.

Here's my question....who sells a setup like that??

I might consider giving up a few body parts to keep from selling that thing :)

DerekC
11-28-2008, 05:50 PM
I buy items at from various places, this one is a govt piece used for surveillance. All in working order and ready to use. I and a friend buy cars, electronic ect and resell them...I am watching this one closely..hope to sell the entire setup for $4000..need extra hunting er um I mean Christmas money

DerekC
11-28-2008, 06:04 PM
Wow..our tax dollars at work. I did some research and that tripod retails for $660.00..who would have thought that?!

Atfulldraw
11-28-2008, 06:21 PM
so do you have it yet, or are you bidding on it?

just ignore me if I ask too many questions :)

Maybe it's more trouble than it's worth, but you could probably make several hundred more by splitting up the set.

DerekC
11-28-2008, 07:00 PM
I am watching it, Do not want to bid and have someone think I am interested and run the price up. I would most likely split it up. I would like to keep the camera as I get tired of using my wife's for pics. Could care less about keeping any of the other parts. Saw a used lens of same make and model that sold on Ebay for $3400. Auction is wrapping up on the 8th so someone could snag it but the office this is being sold out of usually ends up with their stuff going alot less than some others.