That felt good... sort of.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That felt good... sort of.

First two arrows of the day at my favorite distance, 15 yards.

But it wasn't pain free. I have only been shooting 2, maybe 3 three times a week due to my bow arm pain. Unfortunately, it kind of came back as the steriod shot wore off. I finally started doing PT, and I am confident that will be the long term solution. But for now, it is short sessions to keep the mind/eye/muscle memory from fading.

Take it slow brother. One of the many things I've picked up from you is patience.

Comment

Looks like your shooting hasn't suffered!! What happened to your arm?

Comment

Originally posted by CRM_95 View Post
        Looks like your shooting hasn't suffered!! What happened to your arm?
        I wish I knew. It is unlike any pain or soreness I have had before. It feel it in between my elbow and shoulder. Only in certain positions... an outstretched bow arm being one of them. Doc thinks I am tight, so need to stretch and strengthen supporting muscles.

Comment

Dang Scott! You need to get that figured out and fixed! Good shooting!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
            I wish I knew. It is unlike any pain or soreness I have had before. It feel it in between my elbow and shoulder. Only in certain positions... an outstretched bow arm being one of them. Doc thinks I am tight, so need to stretch and strengthen supporting muscles.

I had a pain when I first started this that was similar. I couldn't even raise a glass of tea with my arm outstretched. One of you guys here pointed me in the direction of some shoulder stretching exercises and it sorted out in a few days just as long as I didn't do any shooting. Just take it easy and stretch it out. Deer season is fast approaching!

Comment

I bet stretching would help. I've started stretching before I shoot now too. Just like working out I guess, it's good to stretch before and after. Hope you're back to normal soon!!

Comment

First two arrows of the day at my favorite distance, 15 yards.

But it wasn't pain free. I have only been shooting 2, maybe 3 three times a week due to my bow arm pain. Unfortunately, it kind of came back as the steriod shot wore off. I finally started doing PT, and I am confident that will be the long term solution. But for now, it is short sessions to keep the mind/eye/muscle memory from fading.
                Im there with you. A couple shots and done...sure wish I had your accuracy. Today a nice lady asked me what was wrong with my elbow and I said "Ive got tennis elbow...but dont own a racket." Archers elbow?...people go...Huh?

Comment

Scott... sorry to hear this.

Years ago I published some quick archers exercises that help with pinched nerves and over tight muscles.

1) Before you attempt to draw your bow take it in both hands - hands about shoulder width apart! On the bow itself not the string!

Raise the bow very slowly out in front of you waist high. Stand normally with the bow out in front of you..Ever so slowly raise he bow stopping at shoulder height, wait 5 seconds then continue to raise over your head. Once again stop when even with your head. Hold, then bring it back behind your head trying to keep your arms as straight as possible, bending when you hit that wall. This brings the bow behind your head and should be at shoulder level. Bring the bow back to your waist slowly. Slow and controlled is the key to this simple exercise.
                  Reverse that process and repeat several more times.

2) Use above but, instead of standing with the bow facing out - do it to the side (if right handed then bow should be on the left side)

Comment

Thanks Doug. I'll work that routine in. Right now I just do shoulder warm ups and some old tennis stretches.

The thing that stinks is that while I am unsure how it developed, I know it wasn't from shooting my bow. The week the pain started, I got a massage, slept in a hotel bed, and did a bunch of fly fishing. If it wasnthe fishing, it would have had to been from stripping line... which hasn't happened before, but who knows. That was 2 months ago.

Comment

have you tried a chiropractor?

Comment

Originally posted by huntmaster View Post
                        have you tried a chiropractor?
                        This^^
                        I was always under the impression that chiro was quackery but facing surgery on my back I'm trying every thing under the sun to hold out as long as I can.
                        Started going to a chiro twice a week for the last month and it has really changed my standard of living.

Comment

no chiropractor is needed, that's the easy way out, get the gym..do LAT pull downs, rows, curls, tricep pull downs, a little bit of cardio (to break loose the tightness in the shoulders) do band stretches....get those shoulders and elbows stronger, I was in the same boat and my neighbor is a rehab trainer and the one key to avoid pain is getting your muscles stronger....chiropractor is just a quick fix just like with a shot, it only works for so long...I shoot roughly 500 arrows a week with the recurve and really never feel any pain while doing it or the day after

Comment

Unfortunately lifting weights doing pullups/chinups, curls, lats etc. don't help you with drawing a bow.. Remember that the draw process uses back tension. When I was younger I too shot 350 arrows a day every days for 3 years to try and get trad bows manageable. If you are going to do any weight training exercise take a 20 lb. weight, cinder block whatever is handy and tie a sturdy line to it and throw it over a board or whatever you have that would be approx. shoulder height. Tie a loop in the end for your fingers. Pull on this slowly and controlled. Believe it or not the weight plus friction makes it harder than you think when drawn 35-40 times in a row. Just remember to let down slowly as well. KEEP AN EYE ON THE LINE YOU ARE USING FOR VISIBLE FRAYING!

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Man View Post
                              Unfortunately lifting weights doing pullups/chinups, curls, lats etc. don't help you with drawing a bow.. Remember that the draw process uses back tension. When I was younger I too shot 350 arrows a day every days for 3 years to try and get trad bows manageable. If you are going to do any weight training exercise take a 20 lb. weight, cinder block whatever is handy and tie a sturdy line to it and throw it over a board or whatever you have that would be approx. shoulder height. Tie a loop in the end for your fingers. Pull on this slowly and controlled. Believe it or not the weight plus friction makes it harder than you think when drawn 35-40 times in a row. Just remember to let down slowly as well. KEEP AN EYE ON THE LINE YOU ARE USING FOR VISIBLE FRAYING!
                              it keeps you strong, you don't get as sore, your less likely to get injured, less likely to develop tendinitis and tennis elbow....you don't have to lift heavy weights but just something to keep you strong and flexible, that's a fact...it has nothing to do with drawing a bow, I'm talking about life in general

Comment

Working...
                              X