Huge Sika Goes Swimming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huge Sika Goes Swimming

This story starts back in April when my wife (Cindy) was trying to decide what to give me for my birthday. After a month or so, she decided to give me a Blackbuck hunt. Unfortunately, the Blackbucks turn a little lighter & browner during the summer and I wanted a really dark black one. So, being the nice guy that I am and not wanting to wait several months to go hunting, I set her up to hunt Axis deer at North Texas Outfitters (near Chico, TX) in July. I would have to wait for winter and the Blackbuck to get dark again. Her Axis hunt turned into a Gold Medal Oryx - awesome excitement!

Click image for larger version

Name:	CindyOryx.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	24716264

After seeing all the pictures and video from the hunt of all the animals, my daughter (Stacy) wanted to go to hunt for a "chocolate" deer to make a purse out of. So I set her up for the second week in October and thought I would try for Blackbuck after she got her deer.

In the meantime, we found out that Cindy & I got drawn for a Pronghorn hunt at Rita Blanca Grasslands starting the first week of October. After a long & tiring overnight drive and some great hunting, here's the results of that trip.

Name:	CindyPronghorn.jpg
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	24716265

Name:	TedPronghorn.jpg
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	24716269

The following week found us back at North Texas Outfitters and Stacy taking a huge Red Deer Hind (she decided it would make a bigger purse...). She was so funny hunting - it was like she was shopping for accesories!

Name:	StacyRedDeer.jpg
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	24716268

I went hunting for Blackbuck after she got her deer and although I got close a couple times, I couldn't get a shot opportunity. I did mange to video a huge Sika buck which leads us up to this weekends hunt.

With the cooler weather and not having a lease this year, I was really wanting to go hunting. After discussions with Cindy about when to go (and the monster Sika buck), I made plans to go after the Blackbuck again and possible the Sika if an opportunity presented itself.

Cidy & I arrived at NTO early Saturday morning and headed out to a popup blind that our guide (Don Wade - awesome guide & funny too!) had set up where the Blackbucks had been spending a lot of time. It was a funnel area near a corner of the property. We started off by seeing a huge Fallow buck come through looking for does. Next we had a big Red Stag come past and have a stare down with a big Aoudad. The action slowed down a little and we used a deer grunt a few times just to see what would happen. The big Fallow came charging back giving us more camera time.

Next we here the guides driving around and see some Blackbuck in the distance, but they didn't head our way. A few minutes later two more come bouncing in, but they don't like the blind and stop about 60 yards out giving us the "horn twist" and take off.

A few minutes after that we hear the Sika scream several times. I decided to try the "Yak Yak" (Sika agressive call) on my deer call to see if he would head our way. It was now about 9:00 AM when we were supposed to be picked up and I figured the morning was over. Then here comes Mr. Sika grassing slowly towards us. We had a hard time deciding if it was the Sika or the Red Stag coming back in - he was that big! As he starts to get within bow range, two Blackbuck start coming in. They all end up within 30 yards, but not in a position for a shot.

Now I hear the truck coming to pick us up. The Sika moves closer (but out of sight of the camera). The Blackbuck lays down (28 yards and no shot). The Sika moves forward some more. The truck gets closer. The Sika is staring hard towards the truck. I have a clear shot at twenty yards, even though it's not quite on camera. The truck is almost in sight. I decide to take the shot! I draw, aim, and releae. The arrow looked high and I heard it hit brush. The guides pull up and say they just saw the Sika run over the hill. I tell them, I had just shot at it, so we find the arrow and it only has a little blood & hair - not good! I apparently missed seeing some brush in the way through the mesh window.

Now it's off the find the injured Sika. We locate him easily and he seems like he's having trouble walking and keeping his head up. After bumping him over a hill, he ends up in the bottom of a draw laying in the water. We put about a 200 yard stalk/crawl on him and put another arrow in him. He runs about thirty yards and goes into another water hole and is out for the count. Apparently the first shot was deflected and hit him in the neck right behind the ears (almost spined him).

We drag him out of the water and the celebration begins! This is an absolutely beautiful Sika and an awesome hunt. Thanks to the guys at North Texas Outfitters and a special thanks to my wonderful wife.

Name:	TedSika1.jpg
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	24716270

Name:	TedSika2.jpg
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	24716271

The "swimming pool" where he ended up.

Name:	SikaSwimmingsmall.jpg
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	24716267

The Sika ended up scoring 154 2/8 inches under ROE (The current #1 for ROE archery scored 116) and it looks like he will place in the top two or three for the Trophy Game Records (TGR) of the World. I'm really thankfull for the opportunity to take such a great animal and especially with a bow.

Name:	SikaROEScoresmall.jpg
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	24716266

That is good stuffr right there. That Sika is HUUUGGGEEE. COngrats to all the hunters.

Comment

Very cool!

That is awesome. Congrats to all involved. You guys have a freezer full of meat.

That is the biggest sika I've ever seen. He should go high in the record books.

Comment

Very nice animals. Congrats to all the hunters!

Comment

Congrats to all the hunters,that is one huge Sika

Comment

Ted, great hunt and pics. I PM you let me know if you did not get it, thanks Lance

Comment

Excellent! Congrats to all.

Trailboss

Comment

Lance - message sent.

Comment

Congats,I hunted NTO a couple years ago.They have alot of high quality animals.

DJ

Comment

Congrats on a great bowkill.

Comment

Great animal...congrats!

Comment

Congrats to all the hunters and awesom animals.

Comment

Very nice~
                          Congrats to your family!

Comment

Thats a big sika. Congrats.

Comment

Congrats on the huge Sika, and thanks for the story.

Comment

Working...
                              X