First recurve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First recurve

Got my first recurve yesterday and I'm wondering what arrows I need to be looking at for hunting and what are the cheapest/best value arrows for practicing?

And any words of advice would be appreciated

We'll need some more info to help you. Draw weight at your draw length would be a great start, and remember just because it works for some does not mean that is the only answer. I shoot carbons, aluminum and wood, all at different lengths and spines, out of the same bow. They are just what I have found works for me.
    Personal preference is Gold Tip traditionals for carbons and XX75's for Aluminum. that's just brands, I like.
    Congratulations on the recurve and welcome. ;-)

Comment

Welcome to the traditional side Roper! You can get some good help to getcha goin in the right direction on here. First though, some more info would be handy... What brand/model of recurve? What is the draw length (that YOU draw it to), and draw weight at that length? I say that cuz trad bow poundage is generally measured @ 28" draw. Example: 50 lbs. @ 28" , etc. The "general" rule is 3 lbs. +/- per inch. Example: if you have a 50 lbs @ 28" bow, but draw it to 27", you'll be roughly pulling 47 lbs at your draw length; as well if you pull that same bow to 29", you'll be close to 53 lbs. I did my best to confuse ya, hope I succeeded To sum it up, let us know; Make, Model, draw length, and draw weight. If I didn't confuse ya too much, just wait a bit and SwampRabbit will chime in... Good Huntin, Good Luck, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

OOPS! Before I clicked "reply", Dry Bones had already chimed in... Oh well. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

It's an October mountain products bow, I believe the model is called smokey mountain hunter and its 50# @28, I have a 30"DL with my compound

Thanks for the help

Comment

Be careful it's addictive I haven't picked up my Mathews in two years . I shoot better with my long bow or my recurve .

Comment

Originally posted by Roperyoung View Post
              It's an October mountain products bow, I believe the model is called smokey mountain hunter and its 50# @28, I have a 30"DL with my compound

Thanks for the help
              You will still need to measure your DL. It won't be the same as the compound. It will be shorter, probably 28-29.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

My advice, for what it is worth (wait for somebody else to agree with me first!!!)

Pick up a few full length (32"+), 400 spine arrows, that are feather fletched. Buy a couple100gr, 145 gr, and 200gr field points. (you can buy from some places a pack that comes with 2 each of 11/125/145/175/200/250 - for which I recommend you buy 2 packs... these will serve you well if you stick with it.)

This should help you get started. You need to develop consistent form before you spend money on hunting arrows. When you get to that point you will go through the arrow tuning process, where you will find a shaft and weight that you want and you will play with tip weight and shaft length to get an arrow to fly the best for you out of that bow. But for now, you just need something that will fly fairly good for you so you can develop strength and proper form. It is a whole different ballgame bracing 50-55 lbs at the same anchor point, shot after shot, and perform a smooth release with you fingers.

Comment

Your DL will be shorter with a recurve, and shooting a recurve is a whole different animal. Starting at 50# with a recurve is a uphill battle, starting around 35# is the ideal starting point to develop repetitive form, starting at 50# you can develop bad shooting habits, it can be done but it's a uphill battle

With your current setup I would get some 500 spine uncut arrows and get some 125 grain tips, I wouldn't worry about a complete tune right now, i would just worry about form

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

SWAMP RABBIT nailed it

Comment

Thanks guys I appreciate it

Comment

Sorry for the long delay in my response, long day at work. Swamp rabbit is pretty much right. You can buy the packs with mulitple points and start trying to see what you like better. But there is a lot to learn before you will be really able to see good flight or not.
                        I may be an odd one, but my draw length is the same for my compound as well as my recurve and longbow. It really all depends on where you anchor and how you have your compound set-up.
                        And unfortunately 50 lbs is a little heavy to start with, but like posted before, it can be done, just harder.
                        If you are looking for something specific to at least start you off my personal thought would be XX75 Aluminum shafts in 400 spine, leave them full length and get someone to pinch the arrow just ahead of the riser at full draw. This will get you close to your actual draw length. Then start trying the different head weights.
                        Sorry for the long post and keep asking questions. Good luck

Comment

Should have finished the statement "pinch the arrow". Then measure from the knock groove to the pinched point.

Comment

Their is a book called "shooting the stickbow"
                            I read it 4 years ago when I first got into trad archery and it really helped start out the correct way, will help with headaches and wallet and the long run

You can find it on eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just FYI, if you google search "Big Jim's Bows" it will take you to a website for a bowyer in GA. He has Gold Tip blem's in stock right now. I just ordered a dozen. I didn't really know what to get either, but after giving him the details on my setup he was able to get me pointed in the right direction. I got the full length 32'' shafts. He installs the inserts so that they can be heated and removed if you need to shorten them.

Comment

Working...
                              X