PDA

View Full Version : Homer Martin Ranch

Jimbow
10-20-2006, 04:38 PM
Just wanted to get it on the board, so if anyone had some updates, they could post.

SURVIVOR
10-21-2006, 08:42 PM
We Go The Week Of Nov.14 Can't Wait. Opening Weekend Group Said They Only Killed Two, Full Moon And Lots Of Acorns.

Bish
10-21-2006, 11:27 PM
We all go Nov.30---Dec.4th. I'm with Jimbo.
Bish.

rumbanator
10-22-2006, 02:06 AM
Can't wait guys!

Buckhunter
10-24-2006, 02:00 AM
I'm with you Dave. Just can't wait. Looks like there will be alot less land to hunt on this time. I usually hunt that top of the hill that was given to homers sister. Not sure where i'll hunt now. You will be amazed at the number of deer.

kgwalke2
10-24-2006, 06:24 AM
where is this ranch and what is the cost and rules? Sounds like a great place.

SURVIVOR
10-24-2006, 06:42 AM
TRY THIS AND IT MAY GIVE YOU SOME INFO. AND THERE IS A MAP.
I WOULD LOVE TO SPEND A COUPLE OF WEEKS THERE. I THINK IT'S
STILL GONNA BE GOOD. ANY BODY GOES BEFORE NOV.13 GIVE ME AN
UPDATE OR CALL.
http://www.homermartinranch.com/

swatson3
10-24-2006, 08:42 AM
I'm with you Dave. Just can't wait. Looks like there will be alot less land to hunt on this time. I usually hunt that top of the hill that was given to homers sister. Not sure where i'll hunt now. You will be amazed at the number of deer.

What area has been eliminated? You stated the top of the hill. Does that include areas 23-26 and possibly 11? We have traditionally hunted those areas. I hate to see those gone.:confused:

kgwalke2
10-24-2006, 08:51 AM
TRY THIS AND IT MAY GIVE YOU SOME INFO. AND THERE IS A MAP.
I WOULD LOVE TO SPEND A COUPLE OF WEEKS THERE.

I seen everthing but the rates. I sent an email yesterday but have not gotten a reply. Thanks for the info.

SURVIVOR
10-24-2006, 09:07 AM
I think it's in the $425.00 - 450.00 +,-, for friday 12am to monday
12am two full days and 2 half day. don't hold me to that but that is in the ball park. you probably need to call, i think he only has one guy helping him this year according to the other group i talked with.

kgwalke2
10-24-2006, 09:24 AM
Hopefully he will return my email. What can you shoot and is there any trophy fees? Thanks again

dvinson
10-26-2006, 12:30 PM
Will someone who knows please let me know what channged on the ranch as far as feeder locations. I read that most of the mountain is no longer on
homer's place, but his sister's. Where were feeders relocated to?????? Please leave me your email address. I would like to get some details from you.

Also, is the acorn crop light , average, or heavy ?

Thanks alot,

Dodd

SURVIVOR
10-27-2006, 08:40 AM
DVINSON E-MAIL ME AT MPHCOZ@AOL.COM AND GIVE ME A NUMBER I WILL CALL YOU. COULDN'T GET EMAIL FROM YOUR PROFILE.

dvinson
10-27-2006, 07:38 PM
Thanks for responding. I sent an email to you.

Dodd

dvinson
10-29-2006, 08:09 PM
Looking for someone who has been hunting at Homer's to give
some facts. Are you seeing many deer? I heard Homer had a
deer die -off and was not allowing hunters to take a doe. Were
some feeders relocated? IF so, where?

Thanks alot

DV

Chris
10-29-2006, 10:44 PM
I don't know about Homer's place but my lease is 5 minutes south of his place on Simmonsville road and we have not noticed any die off on our place.I normaly see 10-15 deer at every sitting.I hunted Homers 2 seasons ago on the hill ya'll are talking about and I saw alot of deer up there.I hope that piece didn't go to his sister!!

FIREMAN
10-30-2006, 11:01 PM
For all interested, the top of the mountain from 26 all the way around the mountain and down to 15 or 16 is no longer Homer's and is fenced off.The feeders have been moved to the river pasture and surrounding areas.The reports are that the acorn crop is keeping the deer sightings to a minimal amount.I believe only one buck of any size has been killed, but that was a few days ago.Maybe when the acorns are gone and they get a good freeze the corn will be more usefull.Thats all for now.

dv9296
11-02-2006, 10:27 PM
Have you been to Homer's this year? I haven't talked to anyone yet who has
actually been there. I'd like talk to someone who can tell me where he
moved the displaced feeders to.

thanks,
DV

FIREMAN
11-04-2006, 10:51 AM
DV,
Our group is scheduled to go dec.4-8, have not talked to anyone yet who has been there.Hope the acorns are gone and its colder than a well diggers butt when we go so the deer will be hungry and moving.

jcd49
11-13-2006, 06:33 PM
I wrote the Homer Martin ranch inquiring about the rumored changes of lost acreage etc. The response that I got back was that the ranch acreage normally hunted has been reduced by 380 acres, does are off limits this year due to a low fawn survival rate, and the antler restriction is 16 inches and 5 1/2 years old. This could be the norm from past years, but I'm not sure. Shoot anything else and you are subject to losing your deer, subject to paying a penalty and asked to leave and not come back. I think I stirred up a hornets nest by just asking for a rumor to be confirmed, it seems that they may be a mite touchy at the moment for some reason.

BowCrazy
11-20-2006, 04:40 PM
We didn't go this year because of work and offered our spots to some others and they reported NO does at all. I can't speak about the area lost to the family.

If we would have gone not knowing the fact about NO does, or not having been contacted I'd been awful upset.

Still like to hear from those who have been.

FIREMAN
11-30-2006, 04:35 PM
Come on guys, surely someone has been since the last post!!!!
We are going this Monday and what a great time for a cold front!Anybody kill or see anything?

dv9296
12-03-2006, 09:14 AM
Seems like nobody looks at this site anymore. My group went Nov. 10-14 and had a average hunt. Some guys didn't see much, but me and my partner had a decent hunt. Didn't shoot anything but had a couple of near
oppurtunties at a mature shooter. Our problem was mild weather, and
acorns. The deer would come to corn, nibble a little, and walk off. And that was mainly younger deer. The older and wiser ones didn't show up. I looked at several acorns and most of them already had worms in them, so they shouldnt last long. Your group should have less trouble with acorns. Although,
I looked at weather history and mason has not had but a trace of rain since we left, even the big cold front didn't produce much for them. So, the acorns
might stay good a little longer than usual. Need some rain to soften and rot
them. My partner and I are going back on Dec. 29, and looking forward to tryng that time of year. Hope this helps.

DV
Henderson, Tx

FIREMAN
12-03-2006, 10:42 PM
Thanks DV, We are leaving in the morning for a 4 day hunt.Hope the cold weather has them moving.Will let you know after friday when we get back.

dvinson
12-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Tell Me How Your Group Did At Homer's. Please Give Some Details On The Conditions, Acorns, No. Of Deer Seen, And No. Of Mature Shooters Seen. Me And Two Others From Henderson Are Going
Dec. 28. Thanks Alot. You Don't Happen To Have Craig's (ranch Mgr)
Cell Phone No. Do You?

Dodd Vinson

Buckhunter
12-13-2006, 02:21 AM
my group just got back last week. there were 6 of us. seemed like we were on the edge of the rut starting. seeing bucks chasing does. of course we couldn't shoot any does but there were 3 culls killed. a few deer that were missed. I missed a nice 19-20" deer. first time i've had a deer that nice come in and I miss!!!!!!!! Interested in seeing how fireman's group did. they hunted just after we left.

Ferg
12-13-2006, 12:38 PM
4th year to hunt this ranch, hunted Dec. 8-11. cabins will sleep 19 and we had 19 hunters in camp. to date 2 bucks killed that were considered trophy bucks and 2 penatly bucks. trophy buck has to be 51/2 or pay the penalty, 300.00. dont get me started on that issue. they will let you kill 2 cull bucks (no brow tines) or 6" spike buck. out of 19 hunters 4 cull bucks and one spike brought to camp in 3 days. in past years I would see 15 to 20 deer every time I went out, this year I averaged 5 deer per hunt. From what i was able to tell from other hunters this was about the same for everyone. there are issues on this ranch that are still in the works and we were told there would be changes next year. I am not sure there will be that many folks willing to go back? I have really enjoyed hunting this ranch in the past, i sure hope things work out.

FIREMAN
12-13-2006, 03:17 PM
Hey DV, We like others heard that no does and only one Trophy buck would be allowed. We were surprised and pleased when we got there that we could kill one cull buck and one trophy or two culls. The cull deer ( bucks ) on this ranch are out of control (jmo) and the new ranch manager was great and has alot to do with thinning out the culls. As for our group we had a great time and killed several culls.I, like buckhunter shot at the largest deer ever for me and miss judged the distance and shot over his back.We are already planning our trip for next year.

dvinson
12-13-2006, 09:11 PM
What we were told in Nov. was that we would have to pay penalty if we brought in a 2 1/2 yr old deer, even if he met 16" , 8pts. Craig did NOT say
that the deer must be 5 1/2. That's very difficult to do , after a deer reaches 3 1/2 anyone can misjudge by a year either way(See TP&W site) . They definitely would like them older, but he did not say they must be 5 1/2.
We are going back end of this month. Hey fireman, what did you make of the orientation and the age thing?

FIREMAN
12-15-2006, 12:29 PM
DV, I believe that Craig is trying to do what Homer wants him to do and still be subjective in aging the deer. As you stated a deer is very difficult to age past 3 1/2, but I believe it is still possibe to get close to the approx. age.I do know that it is hard to get an age when you do not have long to look at them.I, and the rest of our group was more than pleased with Craig and are looking forward to next year,it was such a relief to not have to deal with the two from last year! I hope your hunt goes well at the end of the month.
I do not nnow where you hunt but there is a very nice 10 point 17-18 in. and heavy horns straight up the creek across from #4. Thats the one I missed.

jcd49
12-15-2006, 02:10 PM
Our group also hunted the 8-11th and were expecting the worst based on last year, but we were pleased with the change in ranch managers, after dealing with the folks last year. In my humble opinion, they would not change the harvest dramatically if they retained the 16" and point count requirement and dropped the 5 1/2 years of age requirement. I find it very difficult to determine a deers age in what is usually a brief amount of time that a mature buck will hang around. I'm sure there are those of you, however, that guess right most of the time.

Jimbow
12-16-2006, 06:09 AM
I hunted with Buckhunter the Nov 30 - Dec 4, and we actually took 4 culls and we all had shot opportunities. Shooter bucks were scarce, there may have been 4 seen among 13 hunters over 4 days, but after hearing hunting reports from the hill country, the ranch deer population was in good shape and there should be plenty of does for next year.

dvinson
12-22-2006, 02:42 PM
Does Anyone have an update of no. and quality of deer seen or taken?

Lonewolf
09-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Has anyone else been getting screwed around on there hunt dates at Homers ? We have .

rumbanator
09-23-2007, 12:00 AM
lol, yeah we had to change ours. Works out a little better as I get to use one less day of Vacation for the hunt.

Lonewolf
09-23-2007, 09:03 AM
We have had the same weekend for the last 10 + years . Our group has gotten smaller , we all have our vacation time set up and now he wants us to switch weekends because he over booked . I think it is a whole lot chicken !@#$ .

rumbanator
09-23-2007, 09:18 PM
Cheer up Lonewolf maybe one of these guys will get tired of breathing and walk into your setup:)

dvinson
09-23-2007, 10:42 PM
What weekend have you been going? Did he ask you to change to another weekend?

dvinson
09-28-2007, 08:55 PM
If anyone has been, please give info on what was said at the pre-hunt
meeting. Any doe allowed? What passes as a shooter ? .

Are there many acorns on the trees?

Thanks
DV

aggie82josh
10-02-2007, 03:49 PM
I hunted there a few years ago and..... I have never seen deer that walk out looking up in the trees like they did!!! Smartest deer I have ever seen.

Went hog hunting during the summer and saw all kinds of bucks. Went back during the hunting season and didn't see one buck???

dvinson
10-02-2007, 08:36 PM
If anyone has been, please give info on what was said at the pre-hunt
meeting. Any doe allowed? What passes as a shooter ? .

Are there many acorns on the trees?

Thanks
DV

Ferg
10-03-2007, 12:49 PM
dvinson, give me a call and lets discuss Homers. 903 530 4947 Gary

southernsam
11-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Has anybody been to Homers this year? Our group didn't make it and I haven't heard anything goin on there. Any input would be good. Thanks

dvinson
11-27-2007, 09:38 AM
I was there the second week of November. There have been several nice deer seen and a few taken. The ranch is very grown up due to twice the normal rainfall since last January. The small branches have water in them from springs still. We had a very good time and saw some nice bucks. The rule now is 4 1/2 years old...that's it. Myself and my partner got decent bucks that met age requirements. With the protein and management practices he has in place...the ranch will be awesome in a year or two. It has some 140-150 class deer on it now.

Dodd Vinson

southernsam
11-27-2007, 01:58 PM
Dodd, thanks for the update. Our group is usally the 2nd set of hunters to come in. We've killed some nice bucks there too. Would really like to go back. Last year was terrible! We had a good time as always. It was harder hunting there than it was at the house LOL How many hunters are on the ranch at one time now? Last year it was 17 when we were there, to many I think since he lost the back side. No more shooting doe's and cull bucks? Is there a spread restriction still or the buck just has to be a mature deer? Sorry so many questions, but this is the 1st thing I've heard all year. I think the protein will help out alot. Thanks again. Sam

dvinson
11-27-2007, 04:54 PM
Yeah, last year was not that great, as the whole region had been in a severe drought for about 2 years. It apparently did not hurt the deer population as much as I once thought, at least not from what I saw at Homer's this year. The number of hunters vary with each group. I think the avg is about 15, it's not too bad. The hunts are 4 day hunts over weekends. There are about 3 days every week between groups, until December, then groups are back to back. We were allowed a Doe this year. Culls are allowed but nobody wants to shoot one, cause that's your buck for the hunt. There is not spread or point restrictions.....just age. The Buck must be 4 1/2 or older. All you have to do is look at several bucks, and when one walks out with a big neck and upper body, you'll know he's mature. I like what Homer is doing, though some don't. If he didn't have these restrictions, all you'd see there are dinks, just like alot of other ranches.

Dodd Vinson

southernsam
11-28-2007, 10:18 AM
Dodd, I like that he done away with the point restriction. I seen some really nice bucks that were definetly mature, but not 16" Some bucks will just never make 16" no matter how old they get. I like the new program too, the mature bucks stand out and you can tell the difference. Do you think that the 1st week of november would be a good time there? Where deer comming to corn good? Thanks.

dvinson
11-28-2007, 10:59 AM
The main reason I like going later in the season in the Temp. I just can't enjoy hunting when it's 90 degrees and you're sweating. There are some good deer taken early when season opens, but I'll stick with Nov.. The deer were coming to corn good this year. The acorns dropped and were gone early. I could hardly find one good acorn the second week of Nov. when I was there. Had something to do with so much rain last spring I believe. Good luck on getting a hunt.

DV

bowtech4me
11-28-2007, 12:39 PM
how much do his hunts run???

southernsam
11-28-2007, 03:44 PM
The hunts are resaonably priced when I went. I don't know how much they are this year. Dodd, who was the Ranch manager this year? I think Craig was there when we went. If we decided to go back I don't know if we could get anything in Nov. Might have to stay with the Oct hunt, which is ok. It would be nice to get away from the heat some. But we always did real well. Do you have any pics of the deer yall killed?

dvinson
11-28-2007, 05:13 PM
R\

dvinson
11-28-2007, 05:19 PM
Ranch Mgr is Joe Hartwell. He's a good guy, and expects you to follow the
rules. Both mine and my Buddy's deer were mature. Aged at 4 1/2 and 5 1/2.

To the other Guy who asked....it's $575 for 4 day hunt. 11636

dvinson
11-28-2007, 05:24 PM
Ranch mgr. is Joe Hartwell. He's fixed things up nice at the camp. My deer was aged 4 1/2, my buddy's (blue shirt) was 5 1/2. 11638

dvinson
11-28-2007, 05:27 PM
[QUOTE=dvinson;389820]Ranch Mgr is Joe Hartwell. He's a good guy, and exp

dvinson
11-28-2007, 05:34 PM
G

dvinson
11-28-2007, 05:56 PM
eth

dvinson
11-28-2007, 05:57 PM
vxcbn

dvinson
11-28-2007, 06:00 PM
dd

southernsam
11-29-2007, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the pics Dodd. Nice bucks!! It looks like he's cleaned things up where the horn shed was.

jcd49
12-18-2007, 06:21 PM
Doesn't appear that anyone cares much about the Homer Martin Ranch anymore, but for what it is worth, our group went 12/07 thru 12/11 and can truthfully say that the rain they had this past year and the management plan that they are working on is paying dividends. That is the good news. The bad news is that they have another "new" ranch/hunt manager, and you never know what to expect with the new guys. I personally had a disagreement over the aging of a deer that I killed. Joe washed the deer's mouth out, rubbed his teeth with his finger and looked in his mouth with a pen light and proclaimed him to be 3 1/2 yrs old, which resulted in a $300 penalty payment. I disagreed, but to no avail, since the analysis is an opinion. Plus, Joe is an expert at aging deer, because he has been working with a biologist for 6 whole weeks now, practicing. I, under a strong protest paid the penalty. I brought the deer home and took it immediately to a TP&W game biologist and asked them to age the deer, with no discussion of why I wanted the to establish the deer's age. They aged the deer at 41/2. After reading several articles on the internet and finding that at best a 70% accuracy rate for some age class deer and a 29% accuracy rate for others using their teeth as a barometer, I am of the opinion that using age as a harvest tool is just a wild as_ guess and a means to extort additional money from the hunters. I am sending the letter that the TP&W folks provided me that specifies their opinion of the deer's age and asking that the Homer Martin ranch refund the penalty fee that they levied on me. Can anyone say fat chance for the possibility that the new ranch/hunt foreman, Joe, would admit that he might have made a mistake? He had my deer's age pegged before he even looked at his teeth, so I was screwed before he even looked in the deer's mouth. I will be shocked if I even get a response to my letter, they could care less that a "customer" is dissatisfied since folks are waiting in line to fill any openings that come up. Well they can fill mine.

Kdog
12-18-2007, 08:11 PM
Doesn't appear that anyone cares much about the Homer Martin Ranch anymore, but for what it is worth, our group went 12/07 thru 12/11 and can truthfully say that the rain they had this past year and the management plan that they are working on is paying dividends. That is the good news. The bad news is that they have another "new" ranch/hunt manager, and you never know what to expect with the new guys. I personally had a disagreement over the aging of a deer that I killed. Joe washed the deer's mouth out, rubbed his teeth with his finger and looked in his mouth with a pen light and proclaimed him to be 3 1/2 yrs old, which resulted in a $300 penalty payment. I disagreed, but to no avail, since the analysis is an opinion. Plus, Joe is an expert at aging deer, because he has been working with a biologist for 6 whole weeks now, practicing. I, under a strong protest paid the penalty. I brought the deer home and took it immediately to a TP&W game biologist and asked them to age the deer, with no discussion of why I wanted the to establish the deer's age. They aged the deer at 41/2. After reading several articles on the internet and finding that at best a 70% accuracy rate for some age class deer and a 29% accuracy rate for others using their teeth as a barometer, I am of the opinion that using age as a harvest tool is just a wild as_ guess and a means to extort additional money from the hunters. I am sending the letter that the TP&W folks provided me that specifies their opinion of the deer's age and asking that the Homer Martin ranch refund the penalty fee that they levied on me. Can anyone say fat chance for the possibility that the new ranch/hunt foreman, Joe, would admit that he might have made a mistake? He had my deer's age pegged before he even looked at his teeth, so I was screwed before he even looked in the deer's mouth. I will be shocked if I even get a response to my letter, they could care less that a "customer" is dissatisfied since folks are waiting in line to fill any openings that come up. Well they can fill mine.

http://www.deerage.com

jcd49
12-18-2007, 11:05 PM
I've seen this web site, and this would be an excellent tool if one could perform the task easily in the field. The only problem is that this particular ranch wants you to look at the deer on the hoof and guess their age before you shoot. After you shoot one then they apply their vodoo and you either get a free pass or you get to pay the penalty. It just depends on whether you are one of the "good ole boys" or not, and obviously I wasn't one of em.

BIG D
12-19-2007, 12:49 PM
I hunted Homer's place for many years in the 90's. I took my largest archery buck there and always enjoyed the hunt. As time went on, our group got larger and with that comes problems. I havent been back in a while but can say the ranch was always a nice place to hunt.

dvinson
12-20-2007, 08:42 AM
I hear what you're saying and you're right. Not all deer will have the same "body" or "teeth" when they reach a certain age. The TP@W guys will tell you that after a deer reaches approx. 3 1/2 , the deer could be misjudged +/- 1 year by ANYONE, expert or not. The thing is.....it's the most "productive" way for Homer to manage his herd . This will allow us to see some really good bucks in the future. Sorry about the $ out of your pocket, I hope that didn't take ALL the fun out of your hunt. Hey...it could happen to any of us, but I still love to go there.

DV

Jimbow
12-22-2007, 04:54 PM
I've been hunting the ranch for 12 years now and it can be frustrating when you have a window of 3-4 days to try and take a trophy and you keep seeing these 120"-130" 3.5 to 4.5 year olds. Now that they are getting a diet of protein, the 3.5 year olds are looking a lot heavier. I had a nice 8 on me, but I thought he looked a little young, so I filmed him and let Joe take a look at him. He gave me the ok after looking at him. I didn't get him, but another hunter did a couple of weeks later and he aged him at 3.5. If I would have shot him the first time I saw him I would have been fined. I think, right or wrong, that the perception of whether your trying to take a mature deer (5.5) can influence their decisions. I enjoy Homer's place and I've taken only 2 trophies in this time, but I have seen the improvements in the quality of the deer. Another hunter in my group saw the deer you shot and said he was a nice one, so congrats on the buck.

jcd49
01-07-2008, 04:17 PM
Well, I did get a reply from Homer Martin, and his answer was that he really didn't care how old the TP&W biologist aged the deer at, if Joe says it is not old enough then it isn't old enough. Basically it appears that they don't want to be confused with the facts, just pay the money and don't question their decision. I expected as much, but was hopeful for honesty and integrity but got neither.

Bill
01-07-2008, 08:36 PM
is their a web site for this place

Bily Lovec
01-12-2008, 09:42 PM
http://www.homermartinranch.com/

D Loe
10-08-2010, 10:31 AM
I know this is an old post but we have a trip booked for the 21st of this month, I was just curious if anyone has been this year? Thanks :)

Anirishbird
10-08-2010, 01:58 PM
I won't be going until December, but I speak t Homer pretty regular. His Facebook page has some great recent TC pics. As of Sunday morning last week, his first group had taken 2 cull bucks and 2 turkeys. I know last year the harvest for each hunter was one trophy, one cull, and one doe. t sounds like its the same this year. He has had lots of rain, so your chances are good. I would like to hear the report. Don't listen to what some of the cry babies on here have written. Yu don't find better people than Homer Martin. The guy would do anything for you...he just wants you to follow the rules so it makes it better for everyone. You will have a blast, harvest or not. Nothing beats the kitchen at his place!

danierc
10-11-2010, 09:25 PM
I was there for the opening weekend hunt. I saw two culls come in (one with 3 one side and a long spike on the other: the other was a main frame 8 with about a 1/2" on one side and a bump on the other). 2 turkeys were killed too. Ranch is very green and acorns are everywhere. They ate the corn we threw out a lot better than from the feeder. There was corn left over at the feeder every morning. Only about 2 mature shooter bucks were seen, the rest were lots of culls. Seemed like a lot of the bucks there have a bad brow tine gene. I saw two culls myself (both with no brow tines) but did not want to waste a buck tag on one. Not many does were seen. Homer did ask us to not shoot a doe unless we needed the meat. He also asked to let a trophy walk and shoot a cull (like that was going to happen). This was my first time there, and the accomodations were great! Me and my two buddies didn't kill a deer, but we were able to put a hurting on some Dos Equis! FYI Homer also stated that he has a new Ranch Manager this year (Jim Bob) and that there is a good chance that next year Jim Bob will be over the entire thing! Good Luck to any of you that are going!

PassnItOn
10-13-2010, 09:22 PM
Headed there Thursday, will let you know how it goes.

dvinson
10-13-2010, 09:34 PM
Hey PassItOn..... I would very much appreciate you giving us an update when you get back. Please post on "Homer Martin Ranch 2010" this post is too long.

Tell us about number and quality of deer seen, and if they are coming to corn much.

Thanks,
DV

MLank
10-28-2010, 11:47 PM
good advice