Smoker????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoker????????

I got an old 250gallon Propane tank that I want to build a smoker out of. How do I make sure that all the gas fumes are out before I cut on it?

i have never done this before.... but couldn't you just fill it with water... just an idea.

Comment

MY wife's cousin is a propane dealer and he told me he hooks up the exhaust from his truck to the tank and lets it purge into the tank and out of another opening on the tank for 15 minutes then he cuts into the tank.....

Comment

Fill'er with water.

Comment

What do you cut it with once it is field with water? Cutting wheel or tourch

Comment

cutting wheel might get fun with the water and electricity.... BUT the torch would have to heat the water to be able to cut it...fun either way... ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Big_gun View Post
              cutting wheel might get fun with the water and electricity.... BUT the torch would have to heat the water to be able to cut it...fun either way... ;-)
              It will cut just like it would if it had no water in it. Water will just be running out.

Comment

You can actually empty the water out once its full. You are just using the water as a filler to extract the residual gas that has been left from the propane. Just make sure that your exit holes are on the top so that all gas is expelled.

DP

Comment

We always filled 'em with water. As said above, cuts the same.

Comment

The guys I know fill it with water, drain it, repeat, then cut. Torch or plama is what is normaly used, but a steel cutting blade on the skill saw would make a cleaner cut.

Comment

throw a match in it.

Comment

Tank Purge

Fill It With Water And Two One Pound Boxes Of Rock Salt Dont Ask Me Why But The Rock Salt Helps With The Popping You Get When You Start Cutting. Done This A Couple Of Time It Has Seemed To Work Well.

Comment

Originally posted by theunluckyhunter View Post
                          throw a match in it.
                          LMAO!!!! I knew a guy that did that once, Once!

Comment

put a few pounds of dry ice in it, not sure about the pounds/gallon ratio process used to inert fuel tanks before torch cutting

Comment

we always used to cut ours with a steel blade.

Comment

Working...
                              X