PDA

View Full Version : Another Cheap Hog Light

Aggie
12-31-2006, 07:47 PM
Was homebound this weekend, but luckily I had some garage time. Last week I was able to stalk up on some piggies using the lights of the truck. It was pretty cool trying to get close enough for a shot but I needed more light. I bought a 2.5 in bracket from home depot for about $2.oo. Went to Walmart and bought a mini mag led 3watt for about $23.oo. I already had a LED hunters light from Academy and decided to add that to my sidewinder sight. Tried it out last night and shot pretty good with it at my target at about 20yds. Much better at 15yds where I could see the little target. Here are the pics. I had to cut the bracket and drill out one of the pre-existing holes so that it would fit onto my stabalizer. I also had to cut a slit in the holester to fit over the bracket. I drilled a hole in the bottom of my sidewinder for the hunters light. I know Cobra makes a light kit but I already had this one and like to tinker. Academy had a cover for the sidewinder but not the light kit. The cover helps block out the lighted coils.

Zen Archery
12-31-2006, 09:25 PM
vibration issues?

Aggie
01-01-2007, 05:23 PM
I shot again today and I could feel some vibration. I think I will add some rubber behind and in front of the bracket and maybe a strip between the light and the bracket. There also seemed to be alittle more noise. I hope to use it this weekend under actual field conditions.

Texas Grown
01-01-2007, 10:12 PM
Nice set-up Aggie.

Just a hint, use black electrical tape to cover the sight coils on three sides or all the way around. (I generally just use one pin set at 25 yards for "night shooting" hogs after deer season is over.)

Snapper
01-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Nice!

Aggie
01-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the hint. I found a cover for the sidewinder on clearance at Academy. They never sold the light kit for it but they sold the cover. Go figure. Shot this weekend at night and seemed to work pretty good out the 15 yds. I thinking about dipping the metal in that rubber stuff for tools. That may reduce the sound and vibration.

meshmover67
01-17-2007, 06:41 PM
thats cool!

bowsticker
01-17-2007, 11:20 PM
sweet

SURVIVOR
02-11-2007, 06:36 PM
I Just Got Mine In And Almost Rigged Up. Looks Good And Bright. Now All I Have To Do Is Get Out And Try It. The projct didn'y cost as much as i thought.

Aggie
02-11-2007, 06:57 PM
Looks good, just need a light for your sidewinder survivor and your set. Gander mountain here in Houston has the light kit for around 20 I think. Good luck.

Cocobulldog
02-17-2007, 07:29 AM
I use the same 90 degree piece on my Simms but i purchased a 1 inch scope ring set, $7 at academy that connects to a 1 in rail kit, I then purchased a 9 led light from walmart for $5.96. I then went to Home depot and got two 4mm screws to replace the ones from the scope ring for .52 cents. I then took an old precription pill bottle and cut out the bottom. The top part fit over the light and then taped on with black tape to make a more of a spot light. No vibration and works great from 15 yards out. With the scope ring I can take the light on and off with the rail screw. I wish I had a camera that worked to post pics.

Archer-Boy
01-25-2012, 09:39 PM
if you guys could, pls post some pics ... all this really sounds interesting to try out ...