almost pulled a no no

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

almost pulled a no no

I looked up from my book and discovered 3 Sandhill cranes walking down the trail towards my feeder. I was very excited as I felt sure they are not often harvested with bows. I don't even think Chunky has one of those. Everything was working out . The Video camera was on record and zoomed in on the biggest bird as they fed not 10 yards in front of me. As my bow came up tp 3/4 draw my mind was whirling. " pick a spot" ...."dang that's a little target".... "where is the kill zone on a Crane?".....I told myself to time the shot for when he reached for another kernel of corn he would be stretched out and I could send the arrow in where his neck hooked to his body and out his egg hole . That should wreck him out no matter where his goodys are. "OK next bite of corn"....."Corn....Cranes = Geese=Ducks= migratory game= Ticket. I let down and an just watched as they spent 20 minutes eating my bait. I Almost not only shot a Crane over bait but videoed myself doing it.

Hehe... me hizo reir sin ganas...

"Always carry your migratory bird permit when deer hunting."

Comment

man thats tough its hard to watch sirloin on a stick and not take a crack at it

Comment

You DON'T need a migratory game bird stamp to shoot sandhill cranes........BUT you do need the SAND HILL CRANE PERMIT....which is FREE but you have to ask for it! Also there's some restrictions on LOCATION of where cranes may be shot.....I believe I 35 is the dividing line-if you're West of 35 it's legal...or something like that....

Comment

I think Pat Miller is on the right track

Comment

I've killed them. Just have to get a free permit by asking for it when you purchase your license. I'm not sure about the bate thing. You need to talk to someone with the TPWD to find out about that one.

You could say that you were protecting your corn for all the four legged critters that you wanted to eat it! LOL

Comment

The indians might not have been better hunters. They just had less restrictions put on them...........

Comment

I can relate Marty. Cept I had a gun at the time and didn't squeeze the trigger. They are a tempting target though, aren't they?

Comment

Buff,

you are so right, I would have been greener than the green screen. I thought I had one once....but turned out is was danged ol' whooper.

Comment

High way 616 is the cut off I think. **** I been trying to sneak up on a flock of them at the house for about a week ,never crossed my mind about them being migratory birds good thing I'm terrible at stalking.

Comment

WOW Chunky if you had shot one of those Whooping cranes I could have never matched that

Comment

You didn't miss much Chunky, bald eagle has much more flavor than an oilly ole whooping crane.

Comment

Wow Chunky that would have been an expensive bird not to mention the possible prison time.

Comment

Buff I didn't look at the dates on when the thread started... I thought you posted this today... was going to say that hunting over corn woulda been the least of you worries w/ the season ending 2.5 months ago

Comment

Yeah, I listened to some hunters talk about the tree duck hunt they had at their feeders because they were eating all their corn. There were a lot of people in the room eating BBQ and I figured somebody would figure it out soon. Some were law enforcement officers.

Comment

Working...
                              X