1 " Square Tubing Box Blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 " Square Tubing Box Blind

I just recently started welding (stick) , and fabbed a box blind out of metal tubing. It's your basic 4'X4'X6' design with windows on three sides. I haven't put the exterior sides on yet, and the thing probably only weighs 40 lbs. I'd like to get some ideas on what type of siding you would go with if you wanted to keep it light weight, but also have it last a couple years in the elements. I was thinking some sort of canvas. Would like it thick enough to block the wind on those rare days that it's actually cold during hunting season . I want to stay away from plywood due to the weight, and the rotting factor. I will put a piece on the roof and cover it with sheet metal, but other that that it will have no other wood. Oh yeah, no floor either. it will be on the ground, and if I need to move it I can just stand up inside the blind and push up on the inside of the roof and walk it to where I need to move it. Again, I'm wanting to keep it light weight yet still have something that will last. I'm at work now, but will post some pics of the framed out blind tomorrow. Thanks for any input.

Plywood will last longer than canvas for full time use. Having said that, there is some stuff that is plastic and looks like corrigated cardboard when looking at the edge of it. The stuff some signs are made of. It is light weight, waterproof and easy to work with. I am not sure where to buy or how much it is. You might get lucky and find someone dumping a bunch of the political signs now that the elections are over and piece them together...

Comment

Post the pics Danno. I want to start to build one myself and would love some ideas. Thanks.

Comment

The plastic Buckrider is refering to is call call corraplast and it is good for short term, but gets brittle in the sun after a while. I would say two to three years max in the elements of the weather. We use it alot for temporary stands works good for that.

Comment

FRP or Fiber Reinforced Plastic works great. Very lightweight and lasts forever. Comes in 4X8 sheets. I get mine from some buddies in the dry wall business.

Comment

I have made 3 of these. Including a bow hunting one for a friend.

I can post some pics for one a friend may buy.

Tryto post tomorrow.

Hank

Comment

We use outdoor carpet for our sides. Works great, lasts about 3-4 years. Put the carpet facing inside, preferrably black.

Comment

Clint,
                Do you know where I can get some FRP? The only place in Houston that I could find that sales Coroplast is a place called Reece Supply. Had to leave a message due to the holidays I guess. I will post pics tomorrow never got a chance to today. Thanks for all the ideas. Will definitely go with the FRP or Coroplast.

Comment

TX. What do you attach the carpet to the tubing with.?? Zipties??

Thanx,
                  Hank

Comment

Found some FRP at Lowe's. It's calles "Sequentia Fiberglass Reinforced Wall Panel". Item # 8566 Model: 77096 $29.97 for a 4' X 8' sheet. Could go cheaper with some thin plywood, but don't think it would last as long and I believe this stuff will be lighter. Thanks for the tip Clint!

Comment

Here are some pics. Once again, this is my first time welding anything, so I wasn't going for looks

Click image for larger version

Name:	web04.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	23818079

Name:	web05.jpg
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	23818080

Name:	web06.jpg
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	23818081

Name:	picture 004web.jpg
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	23818082

Name:	picture 010web.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	23818083

Will post more pics once the walls are on. Any constructive critisism is welcome. Thanks.

Comment

Maybe a cross piece in the middle to support your floor and weight.

Just a suggestion. Had to do it on all mine. It was the easiest way.

Hank

Pics to come today.

Comment

Some pics

The floors on my other two are not as over built. Sorry for the clutter just brought it back to poss sell to a friend.

Hank

Comment

We use the same type stands and wrap them with indoor/outdoor carpet. We just poke a hole in it and attach it with zip ties. My carpet has been on for 4 years and isn't showing signs of wear yet. The best part about this setup is when it comes time to move, they are very light.

Comment

As of right now, the plan is to leave floor open and have a chair on the ground. This way, if I need to move it on my own, I can just push up on the inside of the roof and walk it to where I need it. I'll see how the ground thing works out. If I do put a floor on it, it will be like the one Flame-Tamer pictured. I just got back from Lowe's and decided to go with the "Aqua Tile" at $10.98 per sheet. If I do another one, I'll use SETXHunter's method and wrap it with indoor/outdoor carpet. Seems a lot less time consuming Thanks for all the input. Keep 'em coming!

Comment

Working...
                              X