PDA

View Full Version : 1 " Square Tubing Box Blind

Danno
12-25-2006, 11:14 PM
I just recently started welding (stick) , and fabbed a box blind out of metal tubing. It's your basic 4'X4'X6' design with windows on three sides. I haven't put the exterior sides on yet, and the thing probably only weighs 40 lbs. I'd like to get some ideas on what type of siding you would go with if you wanted to keep it light weight, but also have it last a couple years in the elements. I was thinking some sort of canvas. Would like it thick enough to block the wind on those rare days that it's actually cold during hunting season :). I want to stay away from plywood due to the weight, and the rotting factor. I will put a piece on the roof and cover it with sheet metal, but other that that it will have no other wood. Oh yeah, no floor either. it will be on the ground, and if I need to move it I can just stand up inside the blind and push up on the inside of the roof and walk it to where I need to move it. Again, I'm wanting to keep it light weight yet still have something that will last. I'm at work now, but will post some pics of the framed out blind tomorrow. Thanks for any input.

Buckrider
12-26-2006, 02:49 AM
Plywood will last longer than canvas for full time use. Having said that, there is some stuff that is plastic and looks like corrigated cardboard when looking at the edge of it. The stuff some signs are made of. It is light weight, waterproof and easy to work with. I am not sure where to buy or how much it is. You might get lucky and find someone dumping a bunch of the political signs now that the elections are over and piece them together...

Snapper
12-26-2006, 11:29 AM
Post the pics Danno. I want to start to build one myself and would love some ideas. Thanks.

Seemore
12-26-2006, 12:45 PM
The plastic Buckrider is refering to is call call corraplast and it is good for short term, but gets brittle in the sun after a while. I would say two to three years max in the elements of the weather. We use it alot for temporary stands works good for that.

Clint
12-26-2006, 03:03 PM
FRP or Fiber Reinforced Plastic works great. Very lightweight and lasts forever. Comes in 4X8 sheets. I get mine from some buddies in the dry wall business.

Flame-Tamer
12-26-2006, 04:04 PM
I have made 3 of these. Including a bow hunting one for a friend.

I can post some pics for one a friend may buy.

Tryto post tomorrow.

Hank

Tx_hombre
12-26-2006, 06:02 PM
We use outdoor carpet for our sides. Works great, lasts about 3-4 years. Put the carpet facing inside, preferrably black.

Danno
12-26-2006, 08:13 PM
Clint,
Do you know where I can get some FRP? The only place in Houston that I could find that sales Coroplast is a place called Reece Supply. Had to leave a message due to the holidays I guess. I will post pics tomorrow never got a chance to today. Thanks for all the ideas. Will definitely go with the FRP or Coroplast.

Flame-Tamer
12-26-2006, 10:52 PM
TX. What do you attach the carpet to the tubing with.?? Zipties??

Thanx,
Hank

Danno
12-27-2006, 01:03 AM
Found some FRP at Lowe's. It's calles "Sequentia Fiberglass Reinforced Wall Panel". Item # 8566 Model: 77096 $29.97 for a 4' X 8' sheet. Could go cheaper with some thin plywood, but don't think it would last as long and I believe this stuff will be lighter. Thanks for the tip Clint! :)

Danno
12-27-2006, 10:06 AM
Here are some pics. Once again, this is my first time welding anything, so I wasn't going for looks :)

Will post more pics once the walls are on. Any constructive critisism is welcome. Thanks.

Flame-Tamer
12-27-2006, 10:44 AM
Maybe a cross piece in the middle to support your floor and weight.

Just a suggestion. Had to do it on all mine. It was the easiest way.

Hank

Pics to come today.

Flame-Tamer
12-27-2006, 11:01 AM
The floors on my other two are not as over built. Sorry for the clutter just brought it back to poss sell to a friend.

Hank

Simple Man
12-27-2006, 11:20 AM
We use the same type stands and wrap them with indoor/outdoor carpet. We just poke a hole in it and attach it with zip ties. My carpet has been on for 4 years and isn't showing signs of wear yet. The best part about this setup is when it comes time to move, they are very light.

Danno
12-27-2006, 12:05 PM
As of right now, the plan is to leave floor open and have a chair on the ground. This way, if I need to move it on my own, I can just push up on the inside of the roof and walk it to where I need it. I'll see how the ground thing works out. If I do put a floor on it, it will be like the one Flame-Tamer pictured. I just got back from Lowe's and decided to go with the "Aqua Tile" at $10.98 per sheet. If I do another one, I'll use SETXHunter's method and wrap it with indoor/outdoor carpet. Seems a lot less time consuming :) Thanks for all the input. Keep 'em coming!

Tx_hombre
12-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Flame, we use self tapping screws and fender washers to secure ours but you could use zip ties.

Danno
12-27-2006, 10:49 PM
WOW.....so much for the light weight idea!! Thing takes everything I have to lift off the ground and walk a few feet. My next one will definitely have the carpet. Going to go ahead and build a base for it and make it a permanent stand. Oh well, got to weld something at least..... :)

jokerdawg
12-28-2006, 10:25 PM
I have built a few useing tubing, THE FRONT IS BUILT 3 SIDED LIKE A BAY WINDOW. THE SIDES ARE 4 FOOT & THE BACK IS 6 FEET.IT IS BIG ENOUGH FOR TWO & WORKS WELL FOR VIDIOING. I HAVE USED CORRA PLAST BUT 1/4 PLYWOOD WORKS WELL.

DRow
12-29-2006, 08:59 AM
I built one out of tubing this year and it was so heavy that i had to leave it one the ground. LOL

huntingfanatic
01-22-2007, 12:05 AM
Here is what tx_hombre was talking about as far as the washers and self tapping screws. We have used zip ties also but they seem to tear out the carpet a lot easier.

Matt2006Martin
01-22-2007, 12:51 AM
do you have one for sale? email me (optimoblazin@aol.com) Id be happy to have one like the shell you posted

Ace
01-23-2007, 04:24 AM
Danno and Flame-Tamer and or others, can you tell me where you purchase your 1" tubing and the approximate price. I have estimated about 120' linear for the 4X4X7 and 150' for the 4x6x7 blind. Does this sound correct?

Flame-Tamer
01-23-2007, 06:18 PM
I buy mine at PTI in Denton. Have not figured the linear ft per stand. I just go get the materials and get more if needed./

Hope this helps.

Hank

djc
01-23-2007, 06:46 PM
How much a foot does 1" tube go for?

sq2bowman
02-05-2007, 11:23 PM
Lots of great ideas here guys, but it sounds like his main purpose is to be readily mobile. I suggest you rethink your framing. 1 inch tubing is great for stationary blinds. If you want to go mobile, pick up some concrete reinforcement mesh. It is something like a small hog panel. Usually comes in approx 3' x 4' sheets at about $4 each at you local Home Depot. Put the welder away, get some tie wire, and put a few of these together. I then take a 3D die cut leafy pattern cover available from most Army Navy stores (was never in the service so I am unsure of the actual name of this cover). Very mobile, you can cut a shooting window wherever you please with your pocketknife. I've built several of these over the years and they work great. You can leave them out year around, so what you've got less than $40 invested and very little time....
Just a thought

reedjj
12-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the ideas thinking about building some for myself