Should I or shouldn't I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I or shouldn't I

I am having a lot of fun shooting both my recurves. I also enjoy shooting my AR34. I am considering selling the AR to get a new Mach X or just going strictly traditional. I am on the fence.

I got a nice fat doe at Hagerman this year and it means I get to go back. I am a little apprehensive about hunting the Hagerman with traditional equipment. I had to make a 28 yard shot to get my pass.

I just don't know right now.

Shoot both, but trad will at some point take over your entire brain.

Comment

I thought an AR was a rifle?just kidding,That decision is up to you,shoot what is the most fun.If you are like me it will be trad gear.

Comment

Never hunted with a compound but have thought about giving it a try. Not!!!!!!!!!!! Whoa!!!!!!!!!!
        Who loves Black Widows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Well ur in a Pickle...

Of course if you were Buff, 28 yards wouldn't be a big deal......Dang he can shoot...

Comment

2050..... You have to do what makes you happy. I have no heart burn with what anybody hunts with. That said I would sell the compound and use the money to get on a deer lease. Having a lease of any kind gives you the chance to spend more time in the woods which will increase your chances with your recurve.

Comment

Timm,
              It sure seemed like you had fun tinkering with your compound. Traditional can be a lot of fun, but it takes a lot of practice time to maintain a consistant shot. If you don't have that time... I personally don't understand why one should have to give up one aspect of the hunt just because he/she wants to use another. The season's long, we've got plenty tags and there's LOTS of hogs in the state.

If I needed the meat, shoot, I'd be buying my 7mm Rem Mags rounds by the case instead of the box. I can lay some critters down with that baby.

Afterall, its not religion.
              Last edited by LostHawg; 12-21-2006, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys. I shoot just about everyday with my recurve. I love it. I also love shooting my compound as well. I do need to get a lease and might do so if I can get one I can afford.

Comment

Timm,
                  I've been looking for a lease myself. I'll let you know if I find something if it has room for 3 or 4 hunters, especially if its in the Coleman/Brownwood area. I'm on a tight budget these past couple years myself and my hunting options have thinned out considerably.

I enjoyed hunting with ya down at Brushy Hills. I just don't do too good in political discussions. Steve seemed to enjoy them though.

Comment

Sounds good Tracy. I go on the doe hunts each year because it's cheap. I brought my recurve on each trip, but never got a shot at a deer. I do enjoy hunting with you and Steve. Steve just needs to come around more and have some fun with us.

Comment

I'm talking about Whittington (sp). Though Shedd sure plays a mean guitar. Hope he makes it to the rabbit hunt. Both of them actually. I think the Steve W.s been busy with all the out of date systems here the last year of so. Hate to be him these days. Lot of updating needed.

Comment

Timm,

This is such a personal choice, I don't know if we can really give you advice...but

I have one friend that switches back and forth, but he only takes the recurve when he either doesn't want to kill anything or thinks that he won't. But you can switch, no law against it, and we will respect your choice either way.

I, myself, went a year shooting both...but finally decided that I liked the trad better and wanted to be good at it, so I dedicated myself to only shooting my trad bows. I have not hunted with a compound since. I don't know if I would have ever got really confidant with a recurve while switching back and forth.

When you went to a compound you had to give up all the animals over 40 or so yards...right?????

What is the difference when switching to trad...you have to give up a little more distance...the concept is the same. Good luck what ever you do.

Comment

Tim, I can only tell you my experience.

I sold my Bowtech and decided to go straight trad this year. Well, I am buying another compound for next year. I will have both and use both, but I really like the idea of having my compound if I need it. For some reason, this year just wasn't as fun going all traditional as I thought it was going to be.

Comment

I also tried to go completely traditional but truth be told, I missed my compound. My local pro made me a deal I couldn't refuse and I bought another one. I don't get to practice as much as I would like but I still try and shoot them all. I don't have a lease so I have been booking some 2-3 day hunts. Most of these offer multiple animals so I take my recurve along. I do agree with Chunky though, I don't have the skills with the recurve because I always go back to the compound when something big may be on the horizon...kind of like a crutch. Which is funny because I really haven't killed alot of animals with it either. Anyway, I struggle with it some but have realized that I REALLY like shooting bows...no matter the style. I read the old books and admire the simplicity of traditional. Some day I would love to be completely simplified but for now, I will tote along both. Speaking of which, I REALLY need to get some arrows tuned for my Sarrels longbow. Good luck in your decision. Look inside and do some soul-searching, the answer will become apparent...at least it did for me.

Comment

It's definitely personal perference. I sold my Mathews Switchback back in Jan. and forced myself to go trad only and I'm so glad I did. I felt that if my compound was there and things got tuff I might fall back on it.
                              This is my first "trad only" year and I've got a 6pt and a doe so I'm very happy with my decision. Whatever your decision is it will be the right one for you. Good Luck !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X