Best sharpener for STOS heads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best sharpener for STOS heads?

Hey guys, I am going to use the 160 grain STOS head this year. It has a 25% edge and I was wondering what sharpeners everyone uses for their STOS or similar two blade heads???

A file and then a ceramic stick would probably be the easiest and quickest if you're proficient with a file.

If not, a rada wheel sharpener or accusharp would work fine. I'd still finish with a ceramic stick though.

Comment

For new broad heads I first chisel point my tips with a flat file. Then use a medium diamond sharpener then finish with ceramic. On used points I my have to start with a small flat file if very dull then complete the above steps.

Comment

I file em then strop em on leather. I like the ol school edge on em myself...

Comment

I'm not that good a sharpening with a file. I like to sharpen two blade heads with a Lansky. It's easy to get the exact 25* bevel and you can produce a nice even burr with just a few strokes. After moving all the way down to the fine stone I strop on a piece of leather or a paper wheel.

Comment

I use one I make that is a copy of one that was popular many years ago. It only costs about $20 to make a set of three different grits and it works great and very easy to use.

Here's a picture. It shows a Zwickey Black Diamond Delta 4 blade but it sharpens my Stos as well.
            Attached Files

Comment

One of the easiest blades to sharpen for me.
              Get file and lay it on the ferrule and then raise it just a hair til it's meets the edge, take some medium pressure strokes til you feel the burr on the opposite side and then flip it over and do the same thing, next do the same thing with just the weight of the file on it. Keep rolling the burr back and forth, should only take maybe 3 times each side.

Now put it on a 600 grit stone or sandpaper lay it flat and then tilt it til you see the angle lay flat and do the same thing as above, you then can move to 1200 grit or ceramic sticks and then strop it on leather or cardboard.

The whole process should only take 5 min. per head and should pop hairs when done.

Comment

Here someone else posted this the other day, it should help ya.

Comment

Working...
                X