PDA

View Full Version : Need help getting started

ROCKET
02-17-2008, 10:54 AM
I need help getting started in 3D! I have been bowhunting for 15 years now but have never steped foot on a 3D course, I would greatly appreciate your help with the in's and out's of the sport.I really want to start shooting but just don't know where to start.

crittergitter
02-17-2008, 11:30 AM
check this club out. i think it will be the closes to you.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31609

you need a pair binocs and a hip quiver to get started.

practise by judging distances. pick a object out judge it then step it off or range it.

also shoot your bow at odd distances so you know what your bow does at different distances.

first time you shoot shoot the limited/hunter course so you can get a feel for what 3d is about.

if you dont have some one to shoot with tell the people taking the money this is your first time and they will help you.

you will love it and be hooked. next thing you know you will be driving all over the state to make shoots

ROCKET
02-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Thanks, I was just over looking at the 3D rules on LSABA, do most of the different class rules carry over from one shoot or league to another or does everyones rules/regulations vary, what i'm getting at is I am not sure if I want to shoot my hunting rig, or designate a bow just for 3D ?

Brannon74
02-17-2008, 12:01 PM
I just started shooting 3d. I have shot two shoots. It is alot fun. I shoot w/ my hunting rig. 3d shoots are different depending on how they are set up IBO vs ASA. I shoot at cowtown and they are ASA. The 3ds have been 30 targets 1/2 known and 1/2 unknown distance. I shoot bow novilace which means I never shoot over 40 yds in club shoots and not over 30yds at any ASA qualifiers. Like he said above judging distance is big and binoculars are a must. Most shooters also carry a fold up field seat w/ them so they can sit between shots. I think it will make you better shot simply because you have to learn and practice at odd distances. huntinpoop (aka huntinpool) is a good source to listen too. I like it so much I may get me another bow to shoot just competiton next year.

crittergitter
02-17-2008, 12:11 PM
most rules are the same. asa has a speed limit for the bows ibo has a 5grn per pound. most local shoots are laid back. you should be able to pull the rules up and read them

your hunting rig will be fine to get started. that why the limited/hunting class is called hunting class. yardage is not much more than 30 yards in this class

you may decided to get a special rig later.

ROCKET
02-17-2008, 12:24 PM
That helps I will do some more looking online. I really want to shoot my hunting rig to help in juding yardage because i'm shure i'm not the only one that has been spoiled by the range finder. One of my main things I was wondering was the yardage, I practice constantly out to 50yds, and did not know if some shoots may extend beyond (meaning I would need new sights to handle the extra yardage)

bowhuntntxn
02-17-2008, 12:35 PM
your 50 yard hunting rig will be more than enough. more than likely, if you just show up, and ask a few questions, there are a lot of folks willing to help you out. do not be intimidated, and you will have a good time. good luck, and hope you shoot well.

ROCKET
02-17-2008, 12:42 PM
Does anyone shoot in Madisonville, or better yet do they still have shoots in madisonville? if not is there any where else close to get started?

crittergitter
02-17-2008, 12:54 PM
i think madisonville club closed down not sure though

try this link

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31609

ROCKET
02-17-2008, 01:07 PM
Thanks crittergitter I think I might give it a try

huntinpool
02-17-2008, 10:35 PM
Give the ASA qualifiers a chance. There are quite a few of them in the state this year. Bow Novice is a class for those new to 3D , 30 yd max and all of the shoots are 1/2 known & 1/2 unknown distance. Set some reasonable goals and as you achieve them raise them. 3D archery is a meeting place for people with a common interest. I have met some of my best friends at the range. Memories and friendships that I'll treasure for a lifetime. Check out this site for a qualifier schedule. www.texasasafederation.com
If there is a local club, give there club shoots a try. These are more laid back and offer stress free fun shooting and let you get used to the format. Definitely get some good binos so you can see the spot you want hit. ASA has no bino restrictions, IBO has an 8 power restriction, I'm not sure about LSBA but all these organizations have a website with complete rules and classes. I hope you have a great time wherever you shoot and if you come to COWTOWN BOWMEN ,please look me up. Todd

Texrock
02-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Hey rocket welcome to world of 3D. I started 8 years ago just to sharpen my hunting skills. Little did I know it was like giving a fox the keys to the chicken coop. I just couldn't get enough. Going into 3D you should decide just what you want from it. Do you want to be competitive, or just have a good time? Either way I would go in to it with the gear that you have. You'll need some binos, any power is legal, however 8 to 12 power seems to be the most used. Your hunting rig will be great. There's a novice class to help you get started. If you have been practicing out to 50 yd. you'll be ok. However shooting is just part of it. Judging distance well is a must. ASK if you don't know. The only wrong question is the one not asked. I would check out the ASA rules. Most all shoots are governed by these. Go to www.asaarchery.com . Hope to see ya on the trail some day. If you ever come to FT. Worth to shoot look us up. Check out www.cowtownbowmen.com. Good luck to you.

SPUD
02-17-2008, 11:18 PM
Hey Rocket...
I am President of Montgomery Co Archery Club and I would like to invite you to our first shoot of the year this Saturday. For 20 bucks, you get a membership, FREE BBQ and you can shoot 20 targets. You can't find a deal like that around just to see if you like shooting 3D. Hate to tell you, you will go back and shoot any 3D course you can!! It is that addictive.

Give me a call and I will get you all set up. 936-697-0272.

Hope to see you this weekend. Oh and Rocket..leave your HGH at home. LOL just kidding. Call me

SPUD

smokin feathers
02-19-2008, 11:54 AM
you can come on over and shoot with us starting next month as well and we will help you any way we can.

Dusty Britches
02-19-2008, 03:14 PM
I believe Brazos County Archery Club is in your back yard - Bryan. We hosted a 3D shoot on the 10th.

Our next shoot will be March 9, coupled with the ASA qualifier. Starts at 10 am.

Try the link in my signature for the full schedule.

AND Smokin' - would you please send me your schedule? Our club wants to post it and promote it. We've lost a lot of clubs in the Brazos Valley and we thought we might should promote the ones within 2 hours of us.

Does anyone know about Huntsville? I heard they started a club, but I can't find any info on them.

Dusty Britches
02-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Rocket -

Bow hunter class typically runs a 30-35 yard max, depending on where you shoot. Men's release (not open) has a 50 yard max just about everywhere I've seen.

Brazos County rarely maxes out on the yardage, but we have enough tricks up our sleeve to make you really think about judging distance. We also strive for hunting shots.

smokin feathers
02-20-2008, 12:31 PM
Tracy, I will bring some flyers on the 9th, or send me your email and I will forward one to you.

Smoke

mboltm
02-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Once you start you will be hooked