PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Bow Light

tipitina
11-27-2006, 10:09 PM
I made a light to use on hogs for my bow this afternoon. The idea may have already been out there, but I will share my experience. Pretty simple actually....

First, found a nice 5 inch LED flashlight with red or blue lens covers.
Next picked up a 3 inch 5/16" bolt with an inch of thread. I screwed one nut all the way to the top of the thread. I made sure it was tight and the edges of the bolts were lined up the same as the edges on the head of the bolt.

Then took two heavy duty hose clamps, and tightened the flashlight to the bolt. Since the washer and head of the bolt are lined up, it tightened up nicely to the bolt. I left about an inch between the light and the mount so that I can turn the light on/off easily. This method should work very easily with any flashlight, that you feel is the right size.

The flashlight cost me $13, $2 for clamps, and $1 for bolts.....all in all less than $20. Eventually I plan to get a hawg lite, but with my current funding, this was my best solution. If it helps great, if not.......;)

tipitina
11-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Will post some pics tomorrow......

tipitina
11-29-2006, 01:39 PM
I know it's pretty redneck, but for less than $20, and since I don't hunt at night often, it's fine with me. Hopefully it'll help someone else also......

Texotic
11-29-2006, 02:09 PM
Your light probably will work better than the hawg lite. The lights are good, but they go thru the batteries in a few minutes.

Bill in San Jose
11-29-2006, 02:42 PM
That will work if the light does not spook the hogs.

If you use a C-cell Maglight, you can drill a hole in the rear screw-out piece and then a machine bolt with a round head will fit nice from the inside out, under the spring. Tighten the bolt to the riser first, then put the batteries in and screw in the flashlight.

I've found hogs run from the Maglight, but did not pay any attention to the blue or red LEDs on the $10 Everready head lamp I bought at an Academy. They do get spooked from the LEDs on my duck hunting Petzl 4-AA headlamp.

crzymike
08-10-2011, 04:37 PM
kill light works great

Greywolf in Hawaii
08-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Another easy way to make a hawglight
1 1 1/2 5/16-18 bolt with nut
1 3/4" PVC end cap
1 PVC tube 3 inches long
1 roll masking tape
1 small 2AA mag light (you choice of colors but red work better than black)

Drill a 5/16 hole in the center of the end cap, next put the bolt into the end cap and put on nut and tighten(thread locker is suggested) next glue the 3 inch PVC into the cap
Take making tape and start wrapping on the very end of the flash light to make a band, test to see if it fits tight into 3 inch PVC, add tape if need or remove to make tight fit. repeat 3 inchs up towards the head of the flashlight, once Mag light fits tight screw into stabilizer hole. your done ! light can be filtered if need by changing lens adjust beam to your liking and go hunting. there should be enough room for the on/off button to stick out of the PVC tube.

I make these all the time for people,

Ronnie McC
08-15-2011, 11:24 PM
Awesome

Loftin
01-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Picturessss

Archer-Boy
01-25-2012, 11:14 PM
Yeah ... all these drooling ideas ... piccctures pleeze guys.

txstrapassassin
01-25-2012, 11:19 PM
pics!

leon.cty.legend
01-25-2012, 11:26 PM
http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86909

This light works