PDA

View Full Version : Removing Hogs From A Trap

LSUDOMIN8
01-08-2008, 07:49 AM
Anyone Got Any Ideas On How To Get Hogs Out Of A Trap Without Shooting Them. Shooting Them Leaves Such A Mess In And Around The Trap. I'm Not Having A Problem Getting Them In The Trap, Just Getting Them Out. I Tried To Build A Noose However The First Time I Used It The Cable Broke. Im Ganna Replace The Cable With A Larger One And Give It Another Shot. If Anyone Has Any Ideas On Any Other Tools I Could Make Or Buy, Or Any Techniques That Might Be Help Full Please Let Me Know.

Coacher
01-08-2008, 07:53 AM
We back a small trailer up to the trap and run them up on the trailer...you just have to make sure there aren't any holes they can get through. If you shoot them in the trap it will be hard to catch anything else unless you move the trap away from where you killed them...they don't like to go where their buddies died!

txtimetravler
01-08-2008, 08:04 AM
catch a leg and tie them up. Make sure the video is rolling.

Blood Trail
01-08-2008, 08:41 AM

...And your insurance is paid to date...:D

LSUDOMIN8
01-08-2008, 08:50 AM
I Was Planning On Building A Trailer Eventually, But For Now I'm Trying To Get Them Out With Out Being Cut Or Bitten. I Was Planning On Restraining There Legs But That Is Easier Said Than Done. I Am Going To Have To Get Them Tied Up Before I Open The Trap Because They Charge It Every Time I Approach It. Ill Have To Just Keep Experimenting........and Learn The Hard Way....lol

deerplanter
01-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Go in and grab them by thier back legs and walk them out like a wheeel barrow, it works better if you don't have a top.

BrandonA
01-08-2008, 09:09 AM
Buy a lariat rope and cathc them around the neck. A stock trailer is a must for trapping hogs.

LSUDOMIN8
01-08-2008, 09:16 AM
I Plan On Grabbing Them By The Back Legs As That Seems To Be The Best Way To Control Them That I Have Heard Of. The Hard Part Is Getting In The Trap With Them Without Needing A Band-aid......

AggieBowHunter09
01-08-2008, 10:04 AM
what are you planning on doing with them? Just relocating or are you selling them?

LSUDOMIN8
01-08-2008, 01:28 PM
Right Now Im Just Stocking My Freezer With Pork. I Just Would Rather Not Kill Them In Or Near My Trap. I Would Like To Start Selling Them. Do You Sell Them?

Bill in San Jose
01-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Send Wildman an email from TBH and ask him to respond here. I think he does it with a rope, duct tape and a can of Dr. Pepper, somehow. I want to see pictures!

wilded
01-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Send Wildman an email from TBH and ask him to respond here. I think he does it with a rope, duct tape and a can of Dr. Pepper, somehow. I want to see pictures!

Yeah! But Danny always needs bandaids. :)

east tx hog hunter
01-08-2008, 02:18 PM
catch them with a rope and pull them tight to the side of the cage (that goes for all of them in the cage)then get them on there sides and ducktape there front and rear legs together tight!!!!!!!! i have hauled up to 4 125#hogs to the house like that it keeps the meat fresh till the last minute.I even had to stop by brookshires that night and boy did i get so funny looks.I just told people if the hogs would have acted right i would have let them ride up front.HA!!!!

madmax76
01-08-2008, 02:19 PM
catch em and hog tie them

LSUDOMIN8
01-08-2008, 02:21 PM
Do U Put The Rope Around Their Head Or Their Feet To Pull Them To The Side Of The Trap?

east tx hog hunter
01-08-2008, 02:35 PM
just rope a foot and pull it to the edge doesnt matter which one just get it off balance and grab the other foot and pull. it might take a minute but they will go down then tie there opposite legs together below the leg joint all the way up past the leg joint if the hog is wet foget the duck tape and use a rope

east tx hog hunter
01-08-2008, 02:37 PM
by the way it might have sounded in my earlier post like i tie there front and back legs all together but i keep them separate

LSUDOMIN8
01-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Ok So You Tie The Front Legs Together And The Back Legs Together? I Am A Police Officer So I Have An Abundance Of Flexcuffs Lying Around......i Bet They Would Work Perfectly For Restraining Their Legs!

Devin
01-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Come on..... who has an old Wildman hog tying video?

I've looked but can't find one....

east tx hog hunter
01-08-2008, 03:55 PM
you can also let them all run into the 4x4 squares and get there head stuck like these in the pic,they were 2 levels tall

Tommyh
01-08-2008, 04:15 PM
id really like to see the video on this :D

piggybuster
01-08-2008, 05:16 PM
I always get someone to stand infront of the pigs and get them to turn so I can grab there back legs. Be ready though they kick pretty fast. They will also bluff if they in the 80 to 90 lb range, much bigger and they don't have to bluff. I did not have much luck with the rope idea. I have seen a guy at A&M use a padded plywood sheet for protection. Get some mule tape and tie it in a 12 to 14 inch lope so that you can half hitch his legs. Remember post the pics .

stickman
01-08-2008, 05:43 PM
.22 rifle "with a solid nose round" in the ear makes virtually no mess and what little blood there is will cover up with just a bit of dirt. I never liked to kill them in the trap but after trying this it was safer,cleaner, and never affected the # of hogs I would catch whenever I set the trap. If you have to keep them alive drop a loop down from the top of the cage and only cinch it down on the top jaw kinda like they do on crocodile hunter,then pull the business end of the hog to the top of the cage lifting the front legs off the ground. You can tie the front and back legs wihtout being mauled. Tricky the first few times but it gets easier. Good luck!

Swat791
01-09-2008, 02:12 AM
Sit on the ground next to the trap and softly sing "This little piggy went to market and this one stayed at home..."

Let us know the results.

LSUDOMIN8
01-09-2008, 07:03 AM
Thanks For The Ideas.........its Ganna Be A Trial And Error Sort Of Thing Untill I Figure Out Which Method Works For Me....bout To Check My Trap This Morning, If I Have One Ill Let Yall Know The Results!

Snapper
01-09-2008, 08:32 AM
Don't forget the video......and 1st aid kit! LOL Good luck.

diatri
01-09-2008, 07:06 PM
We have had a hog trap in the same place for the last six years. All trapped hogs are shot in the trap. Cover the blood with dirt and pour a beer on top. We have not seen a decline in the number of hogs trapped.

coach2
01-13-2008, 11:13 AM
I have always used 3ft long 200lbs test zip cords. Put a rope with a loop in through the top of the trap and get the noose around the pigs head. Once you get it tight around the pig, pin the pig to the top of the pin so his feet are off the ground. Reach in the trap from the sideand put the zip tie HIGH around the hocks and pull it tight. Then do the same to the front legs. Now he can't get away, open the door and pull him out. The only problem is when you have more than 3 in the trap. They seem to take up for one another, firs aid kit may need to be avaliable. I've only had one brusier bust the zip tie!!!!

Bill in San Jose
01-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Sit on the ground next to the trap and softly sing "This little piggy went to market and this one stayed at home..." Let us know the results.

I went up to a small hog in a trap once with my bow, my friend had a pistol. I told him I'd shoot it with my bow, and as I walked up to the trap, the hog started to get agitated.

I kneeled down next to the trap, and softly said to the pig (my friend almost fell over laughing) " Let me explain it to you guy, my species eats your species. Your species eats other species. There isn't a darn thing either of us can do to change it, so what don't you turn sideways, all you'll feel is a little pinprick and it will all be over in a couple of seconds."

Darn hog turned sideways, I brought my fully-drawn bow up to the fence, and skewered him. My friend still reminds me about the "little talk" I had with the hog.

Been there, done that. Too much fun. I beat a wounded one to death with an ax handle too, but that's another story. Like George Carlin said, "it's always the quiet ones".

Bohunter
01-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Bill that is funny!!!!!

LUSDOMIN8 make sure you get someone to fim the hog tying that you have going on.

qzilla
01-14-2008, 10:56 PM
The pigs in that picture you posted aren't big enough to hurt you. Just walk in, kick them as needed and grab them. Get a tail or a back leg and its over.

If they are bigger then you will have to grab a tail or a back leg through the panel. You probably need a buddy to walk around the other side.

Not really an "easy" way to do it unless you have a trailer. Until then you just have to suck it up and grab them.

LSUDOMIN8
01-15-2008, 06:59 AM
My new noose worked......i put it around this 185 lbs sows front legs and pulled her to the side of the trap. i then picked her front legs off the ground and she lost her balance and fell over. i then tied her front feet together and her back feet together. it was all over but the crying at this point. took her down the road and exectued her. she was pregnant with 7 pigs. the two in the picture above were also pregnant , one with three pigs the other with 6......now is a great time to be killin sows!!! p.s. sorry no film footage had a shortage of hands..... ill see what i can do next time.........thanx for the tips please keepem comin

Burnadell
01-15-2008, 08:33 AM
The pigs in that picture you posted aren't big enough to hurt you. Just walk in, kick them as needed and grab them. Get a tail or a back leg and its over.

... just have to suck it up and grab them.

Yeah, SAYS YOU! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Big_gun
01-15-2008, 11:28 AM
dang LSU.... trap 3 and kill 18...

Bill in San Jose
01-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Even a pi$$ed-off poodle can bite you:) That's what I'd be concerned about was having a small hog take a bite and break skin.

LSUDOMIN8
01-15-2008, 05:40 PM
dang LSU.... trap 3 and kill 18...

that wat im talkin bout i need to get as many sows as i can before the pigs are born!!!! looks like it will only b another week or so....if you have a weak stomach avoid my pic!!!!!!

Dale Moser
01-15-2008, 06:17 PM
I bet they'd season beans goooood!:D

Bohunter
01-15-2008, 07:44 PM
They would make a big pot of beans

qzilla
01-15-2008, 10:34 PM
Yeah, SAYS YOU! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Once you do enough of them you just walk in using the heel of your boot and start grabbing legs.:D

Sounds like his noose is working for him though! We normally have way too many to do that though.

If you think that is nerve racking you need to leg a 300lb boar that is not in a trap and only has 1 or 2 dogs on him! That is a rush!

LSUDOMIN8
01-16-2008, 05:51 AM
Im Trying To Find Someone With Some Good Catch Dogs To Go Hunting With . Ive Seen Some Videos And It Looks Like A Rush. The Noose Is Working Like A Charm But The Most Ive Had In My Trap So Far Is 2....next Time I Have A Hog Between 120-140lbs Im Ganna Try The Kicking And Grabbing Method Ive Heard So Much About......we Will See ....ill Try To Get Some Video......

Howard
01-16-2008, 01:07 PM
22 short or long to the head and little to no blood. They will drop like a ton of rocks and you will be done much faster than trying to catch and tie.

after shooting hog and even deer and watching other come in with them laying there and eating blood soaked corn I doubt it really matter about the blood though I hear this all the time about it messing the area up.

Devin
01-16-2008, 01:47 PM
Poor lil Porkchop..... :(

See Howard's method on Porkchop in his video:
Sausage-Howard Style (http://www.bowhunterhoward.com/videos/sausage.wmv)

Still cracks me up they way you threw the little stick for him to turn. Here boy, fetch this while I put a little lead behind your ear. ;)

Hot Dog
01-17-2008, 07:38 AM
Cool video, Thanks for sharing

Jighed
01-17-2008, 03:39 PM
Run a piece of rope thru a conduit/pipe 3 or 4ft long, (depending on how close you want to be) loop it on the other end and run it back thru the pipe. Like a dog catcher noose. When you get his leg in the loop just pull the end of the rope tight and you got him. Pig on a stick. :-)

LSUDOMIN8
01-17-2008, 05:55 PM
Run a piece of rope thru a conduit/pipe 3 or 4ft long, (depending on how close you want to be) loop it on the other end and run it back thru the pipe. Like a dog catcher noose. When you get his leg in the loop just pull the end of the rope tight and you got him. Pig on a stick. :-)

that is pretty much exactly what i use now. works like a charm!

LSUDOMIN8
01-17-2008, 06:04 PM
Now i need a remedy for raccoons. they they are killin' me. They get in the trap and set it off, then they squeeze out through the wire.....I wouldn't mind them so much if they stayed in the trap (raccoon is tasty). I'm thinkin' of placing a layer of small wire around the outside of the trap to keep the raccoons inside so i can KILL THEM! I've heard of pouring diesel fuel on the corn......anyone had any luck with this????

airehead
01-21-2008, 02:00 PM
I liked Sawsage Howard Style GOOD STUFF

Txag96
01-21-2008, 05:18 PM
awesome video, just one word of caution. That granite does not make a very good prep table. It is a rock and no matter how smooth it feels, it is still naturally porous and will never be fully able to be sanitized again. That is why it is not on the approved list of surfaces for an eating establishment. Just letting ya know, but the video itself was awesome.
Was there any kind of cure put in the sausage or just smoked and then fully cooked later?

LSUDOMIN8
01-22-2008, 06:20 PM
Another successful day with my trusty noose. This sow only went 120lbs whole but she will eat good. Had some small pigs around somewhere.....she was full of milk. Thanx to everyone for all the advise.....I will get a video as soon as i get a get one big enough to be interesting!

Great White Hunter
01-23-2008, 04:47 PM
It's fun to let them out, they run a little ways, then POW! Sadistic but fun. Shame on me.

jooger17
01-27-2008, 02:25 PM
I've been doing this since I was 11 years old, throw a rope around their head and keep a bind on it. They will fght the rope as long as its tight. drag them into the trailor like this, I suggest getting ply wood or some knd of ramp to drag them into the trailor. Be sure and keep a bind on the rope if you give'em slack they'll be in your pocket!

LSUDOMIN8
01-27-2008, 05:06 PM
has anyone in here built their own trailer for transporting hogs? ........i may convert my 4 wheeler trailer into a hog trailer.......any ideas?

horseshoo
01-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Now i need a remedy for raccoons. they they are killin' me. They get in the trap and set it off, then they squeeze out through the wire.....I wouldn't mind them so much if they stayed in the trap (raccoon is tasty). I'm thinkin' of placing a layer of small wire around the outside of the trap to keep the raccoons inside so i can KILL THEM! I've heard of pouring diesel fuel on the corn......anyone had any luck with this????

had good luck with diesel fuel and corn used it because yearling deer were getting in trap i dont know if it will work on coons

big papa
08-07-2011, 03:18 PM
Poor lil Porkchop..... :(

See Howard's method on Porkchop in his video:
Sausage-Howard Style (http://www.bowhunterhoward.com/videos/sausage.wmv)

Still cracks me up they way you threw the little stick for him to turn. Here boy, fetch this while I put a little lead behind your ear. ;)

I had forgotten all about this video. Bringing it back up for the enjoyment of all.:)

dragonsdaddy
08-07-2011, 03:32 PM
We back a small trailer up to the trap and run them up on the trailer...you just have to make sure there aren't any holes they can get through. If you shoot them in the trap it will be hard to catch anything else unless you move the trap away from where you killed them...they don't like to go where their buddies died!i've seen plenty evidence to prove you wrong. they have no qualms whatsoever about eating otherwise non-kosher meats.

mnsherick
08-07-2011, 03:44 PM
We back a small trailer up to the trap and run them up on the trailer...you just have to make sure there aren't any holes they can get through. If you shoot them in the trap it will be hard to catch anything else unless you move the trap away from where you killed them...they don't like to go where their buddies died!

X2.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213499

trailer I built cost me around $500, but I use to to haul all kind of stuff.

-Matt

cullem911
08-08-2011, 09:43 PM
We soak our corn in diesel, as alot of folks do. That being said, if you dont want to tie them in the trap, shoot em' and what blood you do get on the ground, put some diesel in a pump up sprayer and cover it, because they are already use to that smell. I've caught hogs the next night doing this. Hope this helps.

Greywolf in Hawaii
08-13-2011, 01:49 PM
http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sticbow/Hog%20Rodeo/PigRodeoV.jpg

Mine works like a charm, even at the end of the trap, hog charges, the loop goes over the head pull tight they will back up to get away making it tighter, open the other end grab the back legs , slowly work the hog out, till you get control of it.
Best part is, you have control of the "put a **** ****" on ya part.

hunterman
08-19-2011, 11:30 AM
dont be scared get in there and get the job done there just hogs

Greywolf in Hawaii
08-22-2011, 03:19 AM
dont be scared get in there and get the job done there just hogs

I have a couple of hogs you can do that with, But before ya go in I want to make sure I have the camera running, I'm sure I'll win the $10,000 funniest home video.

All of mine are mean as a ticked of rattlesnake.

hippo1
08-22-2011, 10:16 AM
please video and post next time. That might be fun to watch!

wow
03-09-2012, 03:12 PM
As long as they are caught and killed its a good way. We have dogs to catch with and we use traps. Keep a big first aid kit handy. If its a large hog have help or to dial 911. We went on a live catch and wiegh in hunt last weekend. 3 of the younger guys swam a river about 100 yards wide tied a sow about 170 lbs and then bought her back wish we had a video. This was at night and it was cold.

brynnsdad
03-09-2012, 03:25 PM

that is the only way to do it!! just make sure that once you grab that leg DO NOT LET IT GO!!! until you have it on its side

Russ81
03-10-2012, 08:38 AM
has anyone in here built their own trailer for transporting hogs? ........i may convert my 4 wheeler trailer into a hog trailer.......any ideas?

Angle iron and cattle panels. Make a sliding gate on the back. It does not need to be tall, 42" at best. Take a railroad tie with you to the trap, back up to the trap, slide the tie under the end to the trailer and open the gates.

When you walk to the back of the trap they'll run for the trailer.

Winman
03-10-2012, 09:05 AM
.22 rifle "with a solid nose round" in the ear makes virtually no mess and what little blood there is will cover up with just a bit of dirt. I never liked to kill them in the trap but after trying this it was safer,cleaner, and never affected the # of hogs I would catch whenever I set the trap. If you have to keep them alive drop a loop down from the top of the cage and only cinch it down on the top jaw kinda like they do on crocodile hunter,then pull the business end of the hog to the top of the cage lifting the front legs off the ground. You can tie the front and back legs wihtout being mauled. Tricky the first few times but it gets easier. Good luck!

We also use the "22 with solid round nose" method...no blood to speak of and no trouble..."POP" and down it goes..hook a rope and drag...a little diesel and corn down over the blood area seems to cover any bad smells.

Greywolf in Hawaii
03-10-2012, 07:45 PM
I use subsonic .22 shootem where the lines cross from eye to ear at the x.

I don't see how they got in, but it'll take a couple of guys to get them out, first make a snare from conduit 3/4 inch with 3/32 cable drill a hole in the end, swage the cable on the end. run it through the conduit and put a handle on it so the loop is about 8-10 inch in diameter. this is for snaring the hog and pulling him out the door.

Before you do anything, get 4 heavy duty 12 inch electrical zip ties just start the end together slip the next tie into the loop and start that one, do two my all going through the first zip tie,
Snare the hog and pull him out of the cage, keep the snare end close to the ground so he can't lift his head as soon as he clears the cage door grab the hind leg(s) flip him on the ground, put a leg in the zip tie and pull it tight, do each leg till all are tied tight.

Wrap the mouth 4-5 times around with electrical tape. he can't stand with all his legs together make sure the ties are tight, the dew claws will keep the ties from coming off. put him in the bed of the truck or trailer, put his head in a burlap bag, it'll settle him down, do the other hog same way.

We've done 8 hog this way at one time, there was only two of us, but they were bout no bigger than #65 or so.

Ramblingene
03-11-2012, 10:56 AM

There is your answer. We did that when I was a kid in East Tx helping Uncle Shorty catch wild hogs to make sausage. God, those were the good old days.

T-Bolt
03-11-2012, 01:52 PM
catch them with a rope and pull them tight to the side of the cage (that goes for all of them in the cage)then get them on there sides and ducktape there front and rear legs together tight!!!!!!!! i have hauled up to 4 125#hogs to the house like that it keeps the meat fresh till the last minute.I even had to stop by brookshires that night and boy did i get so funny looks.I just told people if the hogs would have acted right i would have let them ride up front.HA!!!!

Too funny!

huntfishpoop
03-11-2012, 08:58 PM
rope around the neck

DFWPI
03-11-2012, 09:59 PM

Doing and wondering the same.

justincorbell
03-12-2012, 12:57 AM
Easy. Get 1 of these and 6 foot of rope. Like one big mean yoyo lol

Tejas Wildlife
03-12-2012, 02:49 AM
Angle iron and cattle panels. Make a sliding gate on the back. It does not need to be tall, 42" at best. Take a railroad tie with you to the trap, back up to the trap, slide the tie under the end to the trailer and open the gates.

When you walk to the back of the trap they'll run for the trailer.

Same system we use. Love selling them to the Feral Hog Buyers!

Coach W
03-12-2012, 06:30 AM
Get em good and ****** off.... Then take a stick (long stick) & lead them out of the trap biting and charging at it into your trailer. If you are transporting them.

If you are just going to kill them get 2 buddies, semi auto rifles, and a rope.
Tie rope to the trap door. Get on top of the trap with rope, get a buddy on each side of you on the ground.

Yell: Pull! Then get to blasting!:D:D:D

hogdoggintexas
03-12-2012, 12:35 PM
i've seen plenty evidence to prove you wrong. they have no qualms whatsoever about eating otherwise non-kosher meats.

i have traped hogs with hog guts from the last hog i traped and shot