PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas for a cheap predator decoy?

alien77721
01-06-2008, 08:48 AM
Got a predator call for Christmas, but already spent a bunch of money on arrows. Any ideas to make a homemade predator decoy?

DrenalinJunkie
01-06-2008, 09:45 AM
A stick and a hawk or owl feather tied to the end of it placed next to your call. The wind will move the feather enough to draw them in. Sounds to simple to work but have shot many critters with this same decoy.

alien77721
01-06-2008, 10:02 AM
Thanks man! Just put one together!

wilded
01-06-2008, 10:07 AM
I use an old arrow with a piece of wire on it with a turkey feather hanging from the wire on a piece of mono fishing line. Just stick the arrow in the ground where you want the predator to go and look. Do not use a hawk, owl or eagle feather as you will be in violation of federal law and subject to unbelievable fines and or prison time. It is not a joke and several have been prosecuted and convicted on these charges. Only a licensed falconer may possess such feathers for imping purposes only. ET :eek:

DrenalinJunkie
01-06-2008, 10:09 AM
I use an old arrow with a piece of wire on it with a turkey feather hanging from the wire on a piece of mono fishing line. Just stick the arrow in the ground where you want the predator to go and look. Do not use a hawk, owl or eagle feather as you will be in violation of federal law and subject to unbelievable fines and or prison time. It is not a joke and several have been prosecuted and convicted on these charges. Only a licensed falconer may possess such feathers for imping purposes only. ET :eek:

true.............. go with the turkey feather. I plead the 5th on the others lol

alien77721
01-06-2008, 10:36 AM
true.............. go with the turkey feather. I plead the 5th on the others lol

Need to make a way to delete these entries, huh!!!

idratherbhuntin
01-06-2008, 12:18 PM
If you don't mind spening 8 bucks at cracker barrel you can get one of these. Works great. I have put it in the middle of a field and tied it to the bottom limb of a ceder tree.

orrbull48
01-06-2008, 01:12 PM
If you don't mind spening 8 bucks at cracker barrel you can get one of these. Works great. I have put it in the middle of a field and tied it to the bottom limb of a ceder tree.

i was gonna suggest somethin similar.....good one!

TXJon
01-06-2008, 02:02 PM
I've been thinking I'd use a live chicken. It should work, and if it doesn't, you still have a chicken dinner.

alien77721
01-06-2008, 02:12 PM
HA! Let me know if the chicken thing works!

BIG IRON
01-06-2008, 02:27 PM
I've been thinking I'd use a live chicken. It should work, and if it doesn't, you still have a chicken dinner.

CHEW has some for sell in the classifieds

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27150

TXJon
01-06-2008, 02:49 PM
I have a bunch of laying hens approaching retirement age. You can only eat so much soup, it'll be good for them to have something productive to do.

innergel
01-07-2008, 11:20 AM

That's a good idea, but I don't think I could set it up anywhere I could see it with all the dang thigh high broom weed! I'll have the give the arrow-turkey feather a try. Otherwise I may have to spring for the Mojo Critter.

AggieBowHunter09
01-07-2008, 12:31 PM
If you could mount the weasel and ball to an old radio antenna, that would possibly work. At least it would be adjustable to the height of the broomweed considering how they slide up and down. Just a thought.

huntmaster
01-07-2008, 04:15 PM
I have one of the cracker barrel toys mentioned above. I painted the ball brown.

Cocobulldog
01-08-2008, 08:37 PM
i have an old arrow that has a crack at the end. Stripped off the old fletching. I put a string tied to a feather and "lock" it inside with the knock. Then I have a field point to make it easier to push into the ground. Works great.

txtimetravler
01-09-2008, 11:00 PM
I wouldn't want to have a hawk or owl feather if my Game Warden came by to say HI.

A stick and a hawk or owl feather tied to the end of it placed next to your call. The wind will move the feather enough to draw them in. Sounds to simple to work but have shot many critters with this same decoy.

donpablo
01-09-2008, 11:30 PM
I wouldn't want to have a hawk or owl feather if my Game Warden came by to say HI.

Actually the Game Warden could possibly get you on the chicken idea too (live animals as bait), although if it wasn't tied up it'd be hard to prove. Unless, the game warden was a TBH'er. :D