Bexar County Bowhunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bexar County Bowhunts

Went out this afternoon for a hog hunt. Not only is Todd a fantastic guy, he has a top notch operation.

I have been there several times over the past year or so and I never tire of the place. This was my first trip solely for hogs and my first spot and stalk hunt on the ranch.

I arrived at 3:30 and by 4:19, the first hog was down. I had, on Todd's recommendation, taken up a position in the brush along the main feed route. Todd came in and fed the road, driving past me as he went. Within 5 minutes I could hear hogs crunching in the brush around the corner from my position. They decided not to pass by me and I then made the decision to stalk them instead of hoping for an ambush.

I followed the brush line and, keeping the wind in my favor, approached what appeared to be a herd of 30 to 40 hogs. I was able to sneak within 20 yards and and shot the smaller and lighter colored of the two that I took today. The 100 grain Grim Reaper (this was my first hunt with them and I will never take them out of the quiver!) passed directly through the hog and I watched it crash through the brush, pile up 30 yards away and listened to the death moan.

I then made a stalk on the second hog and at 4:32, once again, the Grim Reaper did it's job. A short 40 yard trail with blood at impact and a crimson spray that made for an easy track job led to the second hog.

The toughest part of the entire hunt was trying to find my arrows after they blazed through the hogs! After field dressing, I saw that the Grim Reapers had clipped the hearts of both hogs.

I cannot recommend Bexar County Bowhunts highly enough. If you live anywhere close to Castroville, GET THERE!!
    Attached Files

nice kills!

Comment

Awesome !!! way to go man ! - How are the axis looking out there ? Did you see many legal shooter bucks out there ?

Comment

Nice Job....

Comment

Thanks guys.

I was in Hog Heaven (his specific hog area), so I didn't see any Axis today. I know he has some good ones! I took one back in October that was 29 on one side and 30 on the other! I'll have it back from the taxi soon! I am having a Euro mount done. As soon as I have it, I'll post pics!

Comment

How's the whitetail hunting? I saw an ad on craigslist that they are MLD and are having hunts until February.

Comment

It's good. LOADS of deer and Todd will do all he can to get you on them.

Back in October I was actually at Bexar County Bowhunts with Keith Johns and he and his buddy filled the freezer with does and hogs. I have hunted with Keith on his place and he is just as much of a gentleman when he hunts on a ranch that belongs to someone else.

You won't regret hunting with Todd.

Comment

I took this pic from the first hog to show the kind of damage that the Grim Reapers can do. It looked like a crime scene!!

I am officially sold on the Grim Reaper!
                Attached Files

Comment

I agree. Took my group out there for a pig hunt with Todd and its a top notch place for sure. I just booked a axis hunt with him today. Hopefully my group gets a few down. Will be my first attempt at the spotted deer.

Comment

Yes love going out to this place for pigs. Wife and I were out there a few weeks ago and she got her a 145lb boar. She was very excited for it was biggest one to date. We will be there opening weekend for spring turkey so she can try and get her first turkey So if anybody would like to join in just let me know. They have lots of big birds out there.

Comment

Where is this place located or closest town. Thanks Chris

Comment

It is outside San Antonio about 25-30 minutes.

Comment

Nice shooting bro. Congrats.

I PM'd ya to get a web site and/or contact info for the ranch. i'm interested.

Comment

Castroville is closest town, but 25 minutes west of San Antonio.

Comment

Took my buddy out for his first bowhunt ever (actually his first hunt period) and we had a blast. We made about four different stalks and finally, just before sundown, he was able to double-lung a 50 pound sow.

We heard the death squeal and knew he made a great shot. I was able to teach him a few things (at least the few things I know) about blood trailing and we found his hog. He was thrilled and I think I may have been more excited for him than I am about my own kills.

His wife says that I have created a monster! Let's hope! Happy to have introduced a new hunter to our sport!

Comment

Working...
                              X