School me on the proper use of this thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on the proper use of this thing

My dad gave this to me the other day but I have never have used one. I looked on YouTube but couldn't really find anything.

Any DIY advice for this thing?

Amazing deals on this Compact Bender at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

Looks like a pretty fancy beer can crusher to me...???

Comment

there is a product manual on the web link you provided us. it is a little help I think. you can mount this tool and a table and use it to bend pipe, conduit or bar. the spools are inserted on the tool head according to the size of the pipe you need to bend.
      I suggest you get some cheap piece of conduit to practice with and you will get th hang of it.

Comment

U use it to bend metal (round/flat) into scrolls, squares, or anything your imagination can come up with..... Mostly used for ornamental iron work, the diffrent dies give u a diffrent selection of radius bends......
        Tip: They are always in the way when u are not using them & they are mounted directly to the floor out far enuff away from anything to use them ( roughly a 10'+ radius), but awesome when u need them..... So I made mine detachable from a permanent base so I cud just kick of in the corner till needed again.....

Comment

Your just trying to get me to do the work for ya Corey . The info in the two post above mine are pretty correct. I first learned to use one when I was 18, the same place I learned to weld, and weld Aluminum. It was a place that built aluminum toppers for P/Us. I bent square tube aluminum with it for the frames. I've also worked for a feller who used to build hydrolic tube benders too.

You wanna bend me some Al for a home made platform frame and seat? I've got a tig welder....

Comment

Originally posted by easeup View Post
            there is a product manual on the web link you provided us. it is a little help I think. you can mount this tool and a table and use it to bend pipe, conduit or bar. the spools are inserted on the tool head according to the size of the pipe you need to bend.
            I suggest you get some cheap piece of conduit to practice with and you will get th hang of it.

I just say that. I will have to print that out.

Originally posted by bhdow View Post
            U use it to bend metal (round/flat) into scrolls, squares, or anything your imagination can come up with..... Mostly used for ornamental iron work, the diffrent dies give u a diffrent selection of radius bends......
            Tip: They are always in the way when u are not using them & they are mounted directly to the floor out far enuff away from anything to use them ( roughly a 10'+ radius), but awesome when u need them..... So I made mine detachable from a permanent base so I cud just kick of in the corner till needed again.....
            I didn't see anything about dies for square tubing. Will this do 1" square?

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
            Your just trying to get me to do the work for ya Corey . The info in the two post above mine are pretty correct. I first learned to use one when I was 18, the same place I learned to weld, and weld Aluminum. It was a place that built aluminum toppers for P/Us. I bent square tube aluminum with it for the frames. I've also worked for a feller who used to build hydrolic tube benders too.

You wanna bend me some Al for a home made platform frame and seat? I've got a tig welder....
            I'll bend the Al if you will show me how to tig weld I have only done if and stick.

Comment

You got a deal . Just don't take my regular job from me . And yes, you need different dies for square tube. I think I seen some (3 kit) for that one on their web sight.

I've worked at a couple of places that have NC and CNC benders. The one where I work now, we have both. I'm just not allowed to use them for non-business products.
              Last edited by Texas Grown; 12-09-2011, 08:41 AM.

Comment

My electricians have used those a lot and I've watched. All the experience I have with a bender.

Comment

Arrow straightener?

Comment

They are not hard to use, you just need to waste some material to learn how. Once you get it though it is worth knowing how to use it. It's just too much to type here though.

Comment

Got on bolted to the floor or my garage... use it pretty often.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Bubba's bulletman View Post
                        Arrow straightener?

Comment

I can see some tree stand/tri pod platforms in your future DIY life.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                            You got a deal . Just don't take my regular job from me . And yes, you need different dies for square tube. I think I seen some (3 kit) for that one on their web sight.

I've worked at a couple of places that have NC and CNC benders. The one where I work now, we have both. I'm just not allowed to use them for non-business products.
                            Sounds like some off season fun Mike
                            Originally posted by glpoe1 View Post
                            I can see some tree stand/tri pod platforms in your future DIY life.
                            yep and I have more stands than I need now

Comment

Working...
                            X