DIY: Bow Box Blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: Bow Box Blind

We'll after seeing all of the beautiful blinds that some of you have built I got inspired to try it myself. Disclaimer: I am not a master craftsman, so mine will pail in comparison to some. If it will keep me warm, concealed, and won't fall apart, I'll be happy

It will be 4' wide, 5' tall, 6' long. It's the perfect size for me, my bow, a heater, and my camcorder. I'm building it in sections and will assemble it at the lease.

After I'm done I will post a list of all of the materials I used and the total cost of the project.

Bottom: 4x6 with 2x4's for support.

I was home with my daughter today. She was "helping". Made it hard to get anything done, but it was really cute.

She dumped all my screws into her halloween bucket and handed them to me one at a time.

This is the front: 4x5 using 2x2's

I put it on the base with my hunting chair so I could visualize where I want the windows. Also, get a feel for the size....I think it's going to be perfect.

1st window: 1x1. I know it's not perfectly straight, but it works

I just used some hinges for the windows to open/close. I'm adding some small handles tomorrow.

The Back: Here is where I stopped for the night. I could use some help here. The door goes in the middle, but how should I do the door? Should I just cut the door out and put it on hinges or should I reinforce it with 2x2's or 2x4's?

I'll post more tomorrow night.

Looks good but is it big enough to draw your bow

Comment

Originally posted by SOTXBOWHUNTER View Post
      Looks good but is it big enough to draw your bow
      Yup, I tested it out.

Comment

Ok kool I would reinforce door with 2x2s

Comment

Put some knobs on the windows.

Got the back door done.

That's it for today. I'm leaving tomorrow for a 3 day hunt, so probably won't work on it again till I get home.

Comment

I tried to draw my bow in a stand that was 4' wide,and couldnt do it.I hope it works for you.Your build looks good by the way,Im wanting to build my own for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Hard Knocks View Post
              I tried to draw my bow in a stand that was 4' wide,and couldnt do it.I hope it works for you.Your build looks good by the way,Im wanting to build my own for next year.
              Really? I wouldn't think the width would be the issue. Why couldn't you draw in a 4' wide blind? Now you've got me worried. I was more concerned about the depth and didn't even test the width.

Originally, I wanted to do it 4.5' to 5' wide, but it was cheaper to make it 4'.

Comment

On a 5x7 I could barely draw. You have to figure in your arrow sticking out in front of your bow. I prefer to shoot out of it longways with the bow window at the end of the long side if you know what I mean.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bowblindsketch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	24027850
                Last edited by Chew; 11-09-2011, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                  On a 5x7 I could barely draw. You have to figure in your arrow sticking out in front of your bow. I prefer to shoot out of it longways with the bow window at the end of the long side if you know what I mean.

[ATTACH]283689[/ATTACH]
                  Yes, that's how I have it setup...to shoot out longways. It appears to be plenty big. I guess I'll find out next week when it's done.

Sent from my iPhone using Pillowtalk

Comment

Ok then..you've it licked. Nice job! If you search way back in the DIY section you can see mine.

Comment

Looking good.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                        Ok then..you've it licked. Nice job! If you search way back in the DIY section you can see mine.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ad.php?t=39829
                        Your thread is the one that got me excited to build my own. I've "loosely" based my build on yours. I am not a full blown handyman and your thread helped me to visualize how it would all go together. I drew up 3 detailed plans before purchasing a single item. So far the build has gone smoothly.

It's crazy that you posted that over 3 years ago. I did a google search and it was one of the first things to pop up.

Comment

Originally posted by down2hunt View Post
                          Your thread is the one that got me excited to build my own. I've "loosely" based my build on yours. I am not a full blown handyman and your thread helped me to visualize how it would all go together. I drew up 3 detailed plans before purchasing a single item. So far the build has gone smoothly.

It's crazy that you posted that over 3 years ago. I did a google search and it was one of the first things to pop up.
                          I misspoke. This is the thread I was thinking of: http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ighlight=blind

I looked at so many I can't keep'em straight. I saw yours too...sweet build.

Sent from my iPhone using Pillowtalk

Comment

Ok, I've been busy and haven't had a lot of time to work on the blind, but I'm almost there now.

Next are the side...

I guess I didn't take any more pictures of the sides.

I laid out the four exterior pieces and applied the first coat of paint.

I left the windows un-painted. I'm going to pain them black, so the deer are used to seeing black their (I stole that idea from someone else on tbh).

Next, I started to apply the camo. I started with a camo green. I just used to branches from the trees in my yard for the pattern.

Tomorrow I'm going to apply the last coat of camo (black). And then I will start painting the inside black.

On Wednesday I plan to go set it up at the lease.

Comment

Looks good about to start my own soon

Comment

Working...
                              X