PDA

View Full Version : Welding Supplies

Higee
11-15-2006, 06:04 PM
I am wondering what would be necessary to begin working on some of the welding projects you guys have.

I have a Lincoln Arc Welder that my dad game me, some rods and bought a helmet(not the autoTinting kind).

My concern is the cutting of the raw material. Do you guys use a torch or something else to cut?

Devin
11-15-2006, 06:57 PM
For years I used a hacksaw on everything. After I I finally engaged my brain I got a: Metal Cut-off Saw (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?CategoryID=261&pricetype=)

Cheap, but has served me well.

BIG IRON
11-15-2006, 07:23 PM
You will need a speed square, level, vice clamps, sharpies, ...... Cant think of everything else, kinda like hunting, you will see something and wonder how you ever did without it. The saw Devin has looks like a good one. It is easier to cut with a table and rollers, but not necessary. Good luck, hope to see your 1st project soon, I am still in development phase on mine, but will be awesome

tinman
11-15-2006, 07:32 PM
If you don't have a cut-off saw but do have a sawzall, the "Torch" sawzall blades by Milwaukee will go through most any metal with ease.

BIG IRON
11-15-2006, 08:10 PM
10-4, Tinman. Stay away from DeWalt dlades for sawzall and cut-off saws. Tools are good, but acc suck

stxhunter
11-15-2006, 08:25 PM
I will have to second the "torch" blade it works great, like a hot knife through butter!!!

Dale Moser
11-15-2006, 08:45 PM
I use a handheld Dewalt band saw, it's nice!

I'm about to buy a stationary horizontal band saw.

Still Hunter
11-15-2006, 08:53 PM
I use a band saw for a lot of cutting when i do not have a torch. A chop saw id really nice too.

Stolle
11-15-2006, 09:06 PM
Either a Chop Saw or Torch. We break out the Plasma Cutter for precise jobs. You can pick up a cheap Chop Saw for $50-$100 bucks at Harbor Freight or Northern Tool. Not the strogest but it will get the job done.

Chuey
11-16-2006, 08:22 AM
porta band and alot of wleding practice....:-)

Big_gun
11-16-2006, 08:31 AM
chopsaw works fine for most ...a nice large flat working table would be nice to have. you'll need a wirebrush and a slag hammer,

slacker
11-16-2006, 08:45 AM
A grinder is nice to have. Get some wire wheels and cut off discs for it and you've got a multi tool right there.

Also rust-oleum's rusty metal primer works real nice for making things purdy.

bcdawg1
11-17-2006, 03:46 AM
Use them all, chopsaw, portaband, sawzall, and torch. Would definitely invest in auto-darkening hood, some of the best money you can spend.

reedjj
12-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Torch is handy because you can also heat and bend the metal. Chop saw is pretty in expensive and easy to use. If it is an arc welder get a grinder with a wire wheel to take the slag off much faster.

Texastaxi
12-04-2009, 04:32 PM
I do all my welding projects with a Campbell Hausfeild wire welder, DeWalt chop saw, Makita angle grinder, a few vise grips (some are the "special" ones for welding), framing square, speed square, a wire brush, some heavy leather welding gloves and a cheap hood.

We bought a generator when the last hurricane went towards Victoria. I teased my wife that I had everything that I needed to go on the road and be a welder! :D

LouietheLurker
12-04-2009, 05:11 PM
A grinder is nice to have. Get some wire wheels and cut off discs for it and you've got a multi tool right there.

Also rust-oleum's rusty metal primer works real nice for making things purdy.

X2 Get a 4 1/2" Grinder and Use " Waffer Disc" or " Motavo" Cheap and you need one anyway...........Please wear Safety Glasses and Face shield.

txfireguy2003
12-04-2009, 06:55 PM
I use chop saw, stationary band saw for precise cuts, 4.5" angle grinder, 6" bench grinder (only thing I don't think has been mentioned yet) and torch ONLY when nothing else will do the job. I hate torch cutting, even though it's cool and fun, I suck at it. Other than that, hood, good gloves, I have a leather apron that I never wear, but long pants and good leather boots are a must. Otherwise, get after it, and you'll learn as you go, that's what I did. For example, I learned not to weld all day in a t-shirt, the bottom of your bicep, just above the inside of your elbow, it's usually not well covered and the light from the arcing will burn it, like the worst sunburn of your life. Peeled three times before it went away!

texas bound
12-04-2009, 07:02 PM
If you have a steady hand you can use an hand held angle grinder with a cut off wheel but I would only use that if you cant afford anything else. I used one for awhile till I could get a chop saw.

BrandonA
12-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Go get you the auto-darkening helment. You won't regret it.

bryan sandlin
12-04-2009, 07:40 PM
the one tool not talked about yet, and most overlooked. the wilton vice. the cost is high, but buy one now, you will still be on it 20 years later. just broke my jaws at work, replaced them for 38.00 now this vice is 14 years old. and i use it 7 hours a day. you really must see what i do to that tool. i love it. just take a look at the other brands made in china. buy it the first time before it hurts, or buy it 10 times when its cheap, then buy the best.
pm me. in the metal trades from 1980 bryan

wcg89
12-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Go ahead and buy a good metal chop saw, it will save you a lot of time and you won't regret it...be real careful when you cut though to not bust the teeth on the blade cause they are $100 for a new one!!

If you are gonna use a cut-off wheel(metabo disc) on your grinder, wear gloves (even though they won't help much if the disc hits the glove...(just ask about 1/4" of my thumb..if you can find it) and also WEAR A FULL FACE SHIELD, them things will kick back at you sometimes if your being careless!

My dad is a pipeline welder, so he uses his arc welder and wears the long sleeve shirt and everything, I mostly build stuff in our shop and use my MIG welder, I have yet to weld with it in a long sleeve shirt and TXFIREGUY is right, it burns your arm right where it bends, so there is another precaution! I just get too dang hot in a HEATED shop, doing something that involves alot of HEAT in a HOT shirt!

A good SPEED SQUARE will make life easier...
Get a whole box of soap stone, (not just one...your gonna forget where you put it and lose it forever)...
It's real hard to break a good bead made with 70-18!!

STXBOWHUNTER73
12-04-2009, 09:18 PM
Use them all, chopsaw, portaband, sawzall, and torch. Would definitely invest in auto-darkening hood, some of the best money you can spend.

x2 .......A good chopsaw will do about everthing you need for general cutting. For general welding 6010 or 6011 rods will do the job just fine.

Problem Child
12-04-2009, 09:28 PM
A good 4.5" grinder is going to be your best friend:D A good square, speed square, welding clamps, several different size levels (be sure some are the small mag. levels), a chop saw or bandsaw, leather welding gloves, good welding helmet and plenty of steel to weld.

I use a miller 252 wire feed unit. I do all my cutting with a roll around band saw. If I have to cut sheets of steel I use 7" abrasive wheels on my circular saw;)b ( I don't have a torch or plasma machine):mad:

Texas Grown
12-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Cant stress enough about safty glasses. If you ever had any thing picked out of your eye with a needle at the Dr's office, then you'll forever wear safty glasses. I was dumb enough to have it done a couple of times before I came to my senses :rolleyes:. And sometimes it just happens anyway. But you will be thankfull when a peice flys against your lens and bounces off more often than not.

And don't wear sandles while welding or running a torch at home :D, unless your a pro like me ( I've got the scars to prove it :D )

Problem Child
12-04-2009, 09:43 PM
I agree with the rest here, SAFETY FIRST saefty glasses, full face shield, ear plugs and good leather wear.

Bowtech32
12-05-2009, 12:53 PM
chop saw is the easiest and cheapest way to go.

ckuehl
12-05-2009, 05:25 PM
bump

Stan R
12-05-2009, 09:32 PM
I have a chop saw, metal cutting band saw, 3 grinders (use with grinding wheels, cut off blades and sanding disk), many vise-grip type clamps, gigs to hold the metal when welding precise angles , magnets, brush's. AUTO DARKENING HELMET, lots of gloves.

stymie
12-11-2009, 05:58 PM
get a good tripod chain vise. If you are working with pipe or square tubing this will be a good third hand. It's alot better than working on the floor when you are trying to make a good square cut.

I would also recommend using 7018 welding rod if you are going to be building tri-pod stands for hunting out of or barrel feeders. 6010 will burn through anything but 7018 will give you the strength you need to hold you up or 300lbs of corn in the long run.

bowhntrmatt
01-16-2010, 02:24 PM
I would recommend reading up on different types of welding rods and their uses. Using the correct rod makes all the difference and makes it way easier for a beginner to learn to arc weld. Then all it takes is practice.
Remember, SAFETY FIRST!!!

smokeless
01-18-2010, 07:10 PM
Do not wear sneakers or anything with a nylon topped shoe. Buckshot and slag will have you dancing a jig pretty quick. If wearing lace-up boots, watch the laces and the tongue of the shoe, again slag and buckshot will catch things on fire. Don't ask me how I know. Wherever you are working, make sure that it is clean and free of combustibles. And, keep a fire extinguisher close. It is better to be safe than sorry.
If you can afford it, buy a quick change hood. It helps alot when fitting pieces together. Get a chop saw or a sawsall and a small handheld grinder.