PDA

View Full Version : Any updates on First Point this season?

Throwin' Darts
10-24-2007, 09:30 AM
I've seen some people mention on ATC threads that they have been to FirstPoint this season. Any updates? Any bucks killed? Any tips and pointers that can be provided will be appreciated. I head down there on the 31st.

BIG D
10-24-2007, 10:45 AM
I wont be there until January but they have been killing some deer. There are a few new pics on their website. I hear the snakes are BAD this year.

Throwin' Darts
10-24-2007, 11:25 AM
looks like this buck was killed this month. split brows and 14 points. nice

http://www.firstpointbowhunting.com/images/2007Octmikedeer.jpg

BIG D
10-24-2007, 11:38 AM
It was and there are a couple more that arent on there yet.

Brian H
10-24-2007, 12:37 PM
The website is updated with all the new pics now. There are a lot of bucks being seen. I was there this past weekend and nearly everyone was having bucks in front of them. I killed an 8 and there was a 10 killed as well. 2 other bucks were hit, but not found. One of them was supposedly a huge buck. Mike said he knew which buck it was and verified that it was big. Make your blinds look natural with no defined shooting lane or you will get busted.

Throwin' Darts
10-24-2007, 02:52 PM
The website is updated with all the new pics now. There are a lot of bucks being seen. I was there this past weekend and nearly everyone was having bucks in front of them. I killed an 8 and there was a 10 killed as well. 2 other bucks were hit, but not found. One of them was supposedly a huge buck. Mike said he knew which buck it was and verified that it was big. Make your blinds look natural with no defined shooting lane or you will get busted.

thats good news that everyone is seeing bucks. i'm going to brush the hell out of my blind. hopefully those two bucks that were hit will make it. hate that they were not recovered.

thanks for the update

Brian H
10-24-2007, 05:44 PM
Did I mention that the snake were bad?

Throwin' Darts
10-25-2007, 09:55 AM
Did I mention that the snake were bad?

i saw your post with the buck you killed saying that 3 six footers were killed. thats a snake problem right there. i'll make sure to wear the snake boots. hopefully the cooler weather will slow down the snake activity.

BIG D
10-25-2007, 10:36 AM
TD, will you be hunting out of a pop up?

Throwin' Darts
10-25-2007, 01:32 PM
TD, will you be hunting out of a pop up?

yes. i'm going to set my intimidator way back in the brush and brush the crap out of it. since these deer are pop up hunter savvy i figure that i've got to get in camo'ed like crazy with just one or two spots to sling an arrow through.

are you planning on using a pop up????

Throwin' Darts
10-25-2007, 01:33 PM
do i need to take a grill to first point or do they already have one there for the hunters to use?

any other tips on things i should make sure and take other than the snake boots?

BIG D
10-25-2007, 04:12 PM
I don't use a pop up there. I find it really hard to get a pop up brushed in enough to make it not look like a pop up. I do know however that there have been deer killed out of pop ups there.

They have a couple grills there to use.

big papa
10-26-2007, 02:51 PM
I looked at the website and I like what I saw. However I have a dilemma. I have hunted for a long time and have killed alot of deer but I can honestly say that I am not for sure that I could tell that a deer is 3 1/2 years old as opposed to a large 2 1/2 year old. Can anybody help me to learn how to do this? I would like to book a hunt there but I can't afford a $500 penalty fee for shooting a dear younger than 3 1/2 years old. Thanks.

Brian H
10-26-2007, 04:45 PM
There are a lot of books out there that you can read and look at pictures to help you. There deer down there are really fat this year, so they all have a little belly to them. 3.5 yr old will have a much larger neck than a 2.5 yr old. They don't have much muscle to them either like the 3.5 yr old will. The 2.5 yr olds face will still look like a babies. If you see a mature buck, you will know it when he walks out. There will be no doubt. If you have to second guess, don't shoot.

Scooter
11-01-2007, 10:54 PM
Are the Mr.No Shoulders still bad at First Point? And what seems to be the best pastures?

Brian H
11-02-2007, 05:26 PM
All the pastures are good from what I have been hearing. Yes, the snakes are bad

GARY
11-03-2007, 09:19 AM
My advice:

1) Use your pop up blinds and tripods sparingly...much more natural an actually easier to just get a shovel, some gloves and limb cutter and make a natural blind. Just don't cut too much brush from the general area you will be creating the blind (bring it in instead) to avoid changing the terrain too much. I had MUCH better luck with natural blinds. The pop ups and tripods do work, but their situational to the area you are setting up, as you just cannot make them work down their in every situation.

2) Don't over corn you area. Like the brush..these deer have seen it all..pile up your corn in your shooting areas and the deer will just slide into the brush around it...sensing something isn't right. My corns in the evenings only...so historically, that's when you have the most deer sightings. However, a good spin feeder off the back of a four wheeler will bring them out in the morning as well. The key is spreading the corn out in a natural fashion.

This seems weird/****..but I swear those are the smartest darn deer I ever seen. Wonderful place to hunt for nice price an "opportunity" at a good deer. Additionally, Mike and Nancy are good folks.......but these deer show the impact of severe hunting pressure on a daily basis. You got to hunt way different than you do on you own place....

Brian H
11-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Gary,
You summed it up perfectly. They are the smartest deer alive too. Last year, they didn't pay too much attention to a lot of corn in one area. This year, they are very sensitive.

Scooter
11-05-2007, 07:03 PM
I seen they put 2 new bucks on first point "Nice ones". Wonder if they came off the road or out in the bushes?

dgrimesag92
11-10-2007, 11:00 PM
If you try to use a pop-up. you might as well bring flashing lights and a cow bell because they will know you are there. You need to keep it as natural as possible, build it from what's around and at hand. Don't throw extra corn, these deer are very smart...if you have the time, sit and watch on a long stretch when the corn truck comes through and see what is coming and where it's coming from. They are creatures of habit...they will repeat..I know I've seen them do it. Good luck and the best advise I can give you is........"LISTEN TO MIKE"!!!!!