Pergola and flagstone patio- Advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pergola and flagstone patio- Advice needed

I am going to put in a pergola and raised flagstone patio in the corner of the yard that used to be a raised flower bed. I will need to fill the flower bed some more and level it off for the project to be done correctly.

Here's my question: Should I

A)put in the pergola first, build retaining wall, fill to the flagstone patio level, then install the flagstone patio.

B)install the retaining wall and fill to patio level, allowing time for fill to become packed before digging the holes for pergola posts, then install pergola and finish off with the flagstone patio.

C)Pour concrete blocks that are just under the height of the flagstone patio, build pergola with posts bracketed to concrete, build retaining wall and fill then put in flagstone.

If I'm going to spend the time and money doing this I want to do it right...and I want it to last! My main concern is having the posts rot out.

Your thought? Anyone want to help?

C

Be sure to dig "bell" holes below current ground level to anchor the concrete blocks (footings) you'll be pouring. How tall is the bed wall that is currently there?

ETA: tha answer to your last question is no.

Comment

The bed is probably a foot tall. I don't want it real tall, just to have some definition from yard to patio. Probably put in a step or two going into it. Just grass is there now...I removed the vegetation.

Comment

I've been wanting to do a similar thing at our house. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Comment

If you use treated 8x8 or cedar 8x8 posts, they will be there as long as you are. Just build you a box around your posts with treated 2x12 and pour concrete up to the lever of the bed if you dig the holes and set posts first. Probably the route I would go. Less digging, and less future issues.

Comment

When I posted about the flagstone patio I was building:
            http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=212555 I got some good advice from bucksnducks - he is a landscape contractor and they do alot of stone work. Might want to shoot him a PM

Comment

Working...
            X