Bulkhead fishing lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bulkhead fishing lights

The campground we joined on Lake Conroe has about 200 yards of bulkhead frontage. The top of the bulkhead is capped with a 2x12. I am going to make a set of lights to hang over the edge of that cap. Headed to Lowes shortly for materials. I am going to use the CFL floodlights for the light source. Lot of light for a little wattage. I should be able to easily run 1K watts equivalent off of a 400W inverter.

I will update with pictures as I build.

I decided to go with a 6 bulb, 3 fixture layout.

Materials:
    50' extension cord
    3 two bulb fixtures
    6 90 watt equivalent CFL floodlight bulbs
    2x6, 4' long or so
    Drywall screws
    Wirenuts

First I cut the cord up. Cut 18" off of the female end, and 2 other pieces long enough to run between the fixtures, behind the board.

Drill 2 holes behind where each fixture will go, close together. On one end, you will pass through the cut end from the remainder of the cord, and one end of one of the short pieces. At the other end, you will pass through the cut piece from the female end and one end of the the other short piece. The two ends of the short pieces will go to the middle fixture.

Now strip back 1/2" or so from all the ends. Wirenut all the matching colors. Tape. (Don't forget to put the gasket around the wires before you do this like I did on the first one.)

Screw the fixture down, taking care to not screw through any wires and getting the gasket oriented properly.

Repeat until they are mounted. This could be widened and expanded to as many fixtures as you wanted, keeping in mind total current draw.

I plugged it in and measured the current draw with all 6 bulbs lit- 1.2 amps. That equates to less than 200 watts of power drain.

The finished product:

I screwed a couple eyebolts into the top edge of the board to hang it with. I will just use a couple of tent stakes in the ground and some light rope to hang it over the edge of the bulkhead.

She will get the maiden voyage this weekend on Lake Conroe. I will get a picture or two of it in action then.

Comment

That is a great job! Very inventive. What time do I show up and what bait you wanna use? =)

Comment

looks good
        what campground on lake C did you join ?

i'll drive ya, Chew ;0

Comment

Originally posted by Bily Lovec View Post
          looks good
          what campground on lake C did you join ?

i'll drive ya, Chew ;0
          Castaways, east side of the lake north of 1097. On the Weirs Creek cove.

Comment

Nice build.

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
              Castaways, east side of the lake north of 1097. On the Weirs Creek cove.
              My mom lives in Point Aquarius on 1097

Comment

Working...
              X