Gus Engeling WMA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gus Engeling WMA?

I went 1 for 4 on the public draw this year. I drew Gus Engeling WMA for anterless/spike gun. Can anybody give me any info on the area and what to excpect?

Hey I drew the same hunt! I'm going 11/28-11/30. I've only hunted there once, and the compartment I was in was tough hunting. Lot of dry leaves that gave me away every time I took a step. The terrain is rolling with some thick brush and some more open hillsides.

Hunter success there has been pretty low, but I can't wait to go!

Comment

I was drawn for the bow hunt Oct.28-Nov. 2 and the anterless\spike hunt for Dec. 12-14(I think it is!)
      It's my favorite WMA to hunt and lots of fun.....
      I can't wait either.!

Comment

My son got drawn there last year and also this year. All I can tell ya is that it is mostly hardwoods and should be loaded with acorns. If you're on the either sex hunt, they have some really good bucks there.
        Me and my son will be there for Oct 27 and 28. I can give yall more details then.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
          Hey I drew the same hunt! I'm going 11/28-11/30. I've only hunted there once, and the compartment I was in was tough hunting. Lot of dry leaves that gave me away every time I took a step. The terrain is rolling with some thick brush and some more open hillsides.

Hunter success there has been pretty low, but I can't wait to go!
          Same dates!!!! I am going to drive down that way and look around!!!

Comment

I've driven through there once, awsome looking place. From what I hear despite the good habitat the area is poached heavily so the deer are not as plentiful as they should be and very nocturnal.

Comment

Originally posted by NTex View Post
              Same dates!!!! I am going to drive down that way and look around!!!

Cool! I'll try to meet you during the orientation. I should be pretty easy to spot. I'll be the guy wearing camoflage.

Comment

If it's 'poached' it's on the surrounding land or the poachers have to cross some serious country to get into Gus. All the entry ways are locked nitely and all the wardens\rangers live within a 5 minute drive from there.
                So gunfire at night in the area would send up multiple red flags and I've never heard of anybody poaching at night with a bow!
                There are some seriously big deer at GE, lots of does, lots and lots of pigs,and even alligators in the swamp!
                I think its one of the hardest and most fun WMA's to hunt and this will be my 6th year in a row! I'm pretty pumped about it.

Comment

I just wish I had more than three days to hunt!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X