Child's Step Stool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Child's Step Stool

I had a small stool growing up that got moved around the house as needed. I decided to make one for my little cousin, who just turned two. I bought a couple of oak craft panels at Lowe's to save time, as mentioned in my other post. I have found these to be square and flat, which is a big help.
    I cut out the top first, the width of the panel and about 16" long. I then rounded the corners on the band saw. I find aeresol cans to make for a nice radius.

I didn't want the legs to just be square to the top and look plain so I angled them out a little. I just guessed here, as the angle guage on my table saw was gone long before it became mine. After cutting I checked it to be about 79 degrees. Cut the first edge, and then cut to width, positioning as shown so the angles match. I cut mine to 6 3/4"

I then printed out a letter to cut out on the scroll saw. Posisioned and glued on with spray adhesive.

Cut out and ready to begin assembly. More to come next week.

good job. Keep it coming

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Just realized I missed a step. I marked in 1 1/2" from the edges to give a little more style to it. I also wanted an arc cut out on the bottom. I found my router base to be a good shape, and it had a hole to line up with my center mark. Cut it out on the band saw and traced for the other side.

Comment

Where are you, TexasBob? Let's see the rest.

Comment

Sorry guys, have been busy with last minute christmas stuff, and didn't have as much shop time as I wanted this weekend. I'll put up some pictures though. Stool is assembled with a coat of stain that should be dry and ready for clear coat. Word to the wise- if one thing (the legs for instance) is on an angle, all adjoining pieces need to be on the exact same angle, so it is very helpful to cut all these pieces while the saw is set for said angle, especially if you just guessed. I did not. A few ugly words and a do-over on one small piece, but I like the result. Thanks for the interest.

Comment

Nice. Makes me want to get my table saw out of storage.

Comment

I assembled the base and then put the top on. I cheated and glued and nailed it together. I generally use Kreg screws, but I had enough of the angles and needed to get it assembled.

After stain and a couple light clear coats

Comment

Very nice work. Scrollsaw initials are great feature.

Comment

Great work. Growing up my dad had all the tools to build things like this. I wish I still had those tools.

Comment

Working...
                    X