PDA

View Full Version : Scent cover

Gerhard
07-08-2007, 04:37 AM
Guys,

I know there is a recipe for making your own sent cover.

Here in Africa its very expensive to buy the stuff from the USA.

When you sit in a ground blind you have no control over the wind:confused:
the wind change direction a lot in the Africa bush.

Any help will be appreciated.

Gerhard

the kidd
07-08-2007, 02:45 PM
it consists of distilled water 3 percent peroxide,unscented soap,and baking soda...and then theres another that uses leaves and things from your place boiled in distilled water then added peroxide with rubing alcohol...but i dont know the measurements im interested in them also..anyone know?

crittergitter
07-08-2007, 06:40 PM
i made some last year and now i cant find my recipe but it something close to this maybe someone will correct me:

2 quarts 3 % no sent peroxide

1 1/2 quarts water

? baking soda i want to say 3 table spoons but not sure

1 ounce scent free laundry soap

store in container that sunlight can not shine into

hope that helps

mibowhntr
02-03-2008, 04:35 PM
Gerhard, sorry for the late post but I just joined. Here is a scent system that is killer, so never to late to share. Its simple... UNSCENTED AMMONIA. I kid you not. I have used it for years and have only been busted twice. Spray it all over your clothing and boots. I will not tell you that it wont hurt your garments, and I wont tell you it will, I have never had it break anything down. I dont suggest spraying it on your skin as some folks may get a reaction to it. I can buy it for 99 cents a bottle and it last as long as you want, depending on your use. Of course it does smells like urine, after all it is ammonia, but the smell goes away but kills any oder I have had to mask. Also, I dont suggest breathing it, and when you spray it make sure it blows away. Again, I know alot of people that use it, and have never had any ill affect from it. Good Luck in your hunting.

Green Arrow
02-03-2008, 06:28 PM
thanks critter going to try it out

quickstrike
02-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Yea I am going to try it out as well thanks. I am useing store bought as of now and I mean I guess it works aight but need a cheap solution to spray on like trail camera and bow and stuff.

quickstrike
02-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Just wondering where do you buy your UNSCENTED AMMONIA? Thanks

crittergitter
02-17-2008, 03:07 AM
update

on formula

1 1/2 quarts 3 % scent free peroxide

2 quarts water

1/2 cup baking soda

1 ounce scent free soap

mix and store in container that sun light does not shine through

Jen-Man
02-17-2008, 03:18 AM
Hey, just came on board and already learned something. I'll have to try both of these. Anything to save a little of the green stuff.

crittergitter
02-17-2008, 09:10 AM
the first one i posted i could not find my formula and tried to post it off memory.

i had my water and peroxide back words and was short on my baking soda.

txbowkill
02-17-2008, 08:33 PM
get some cedar and bring it with you in the stand. also store your close in a box or container with it

crittergitter
02-17-2008, 08:46 PM
get some cedar and bring it with you in the stand. also store your close in a box or container with it

or boil the cedar and use the water as a spray

Ouch
02-17-2008, 09:15 PM
Dad and I make about two gallons every year. Just clip fresh cedar limbs to fill a pot (not the wife's). Boil four gallons of water down to two. Voila!

LennyWayne
09-12-2010, 03:41 PM
This is my first year on a lease in Houston county, which has an abundance of Pine trees, but I haven't noticed many Cedar's (this is my first year hunting East Tx....as I have hunted in Mason TX for many years). Are there any tricks for using cover scent involving the Pine trees??

jackh
09-12-2010, 03:56 PM
or boil the cedar and use the water as a spray

i can see this working very well, really easy too. tons of ceder where i hunt

txstringbender
09-12-2010, 05:33 PM
SMOKE!!!! This is a great cover scent. IF there are any fires in the area, for example someone clearing brush and burning it. The animals are used to the smell of smoke. It is a natural smell to them. Now for the real plus....smoke kills the bacteria on the body that makes us stink. I have read in survival situations, if you can't bathe, smoke yourself to clean yourself. If you've ever been around a fire, you know that the smoke smell will stick in your cloths for a long time. Just a thought. Smoke is REAL cheap. I tried it last year with some cedar while hunting in the Hill Country and never got busted and at numerous times the wind was ALL WRONG.

klepdo
09-12-2010, 08:11 PM
When I was in Africa hunting last year the wind switched and my PH got down got some buffalo dung and burned it. Once he lit it up the game came back in. I tried the same thing with some cow crap and it worked. Try it.

jackh
09-12-2010, 11:50 PM
just used the burning crap as a cover scent or what?

badkarma
09-13-2010, 09:08 AM
I knew some old timers who would cut fresh tufts of pine needles and chuck them in the fire just before leaving for the stand. It doesn't take much green pine needles and it makes a thick white smoke. They didn't linger in it, but would make one pass through the thickest smoke and walk over to their atv and head out. They swore by it. By the way, does the peroxide in the above posts bleach out your clothes?

sam4613
09-17-2010, 10:28 AM
The peroxide won't bleach your clothes. However, all the home brew recipes using peroxide, ammonia or baking soda will make you sterile. But only if used in small amounts over a short period of time.

lovetohunt
09-17-2010, 11:31 AM
The peroxide won't bleach your clothes. However, all the home brew recipes using peroxide, ammonia or baking soda will make you sterile. But only if used in small amounts over a short period of time.

Had to laugh at this one, Will make you sterile lol.

shane stoe
09-17-2010, 04:26 PM
take some of the diffrent shrubs around the area and boil them like you would tea. you will see the leaves start to fade. use a coffee filter to strain the bulky leafs and twiggs out and put in a spry bottle. you want to keep it cool cause it will spoil like tea.