Richland Creek WMA reducing archery permits for the 4th consecutive year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Richland Creek WMA reducing archery permits for the 4th consecutive year

What the hell?! I was going over the draw hunts and noticed they have reduced the # of archery permits this year to only 60. 2006 - 150 permits, 2005 - 160 permits, 2004 - 200 permits. And its not just archery, they've reduced the rifle and youth hunt permits too, in 2004 there were 578 permits total, that down to only 330 this year. I would like to hear the wildlife managers reasoning behind this, I hunted the archery hunt last year and there was no shortage of deer, a guy in my compartment took 2, I know of another deer taken in the compartment north of us, and the guys in the compartment east of us took 5! I think we as public hunters should speak up about this, we first lost this area as type II public land in 2000, now they are reducing permits every year, before long they won't allow us to hunt out there at all. I would encourage you to voice your concerns to Jeff Gunnels at 903-389-7080.

I am pretty sure that mgmt at RC would just assume nobody was ever on it period. I don't think you can access the south unit but about 2 months out of the year anyway unless you are on a drawn hunt. Seems I read something to the effect last year. The #'s are also down at Gus Engling WMA which is going to make it hard to draw there also. My first thought was that they wanted to give more permits to gun hunters to increase harvest but if they dropped the # of gun permits also that would not make sense.

Comment

I went across the fwy today and picked mine up for getting in he mail...ALL of them have reduced as far as I can see...applied for GRANGER

Comment

I have a feeling grangers going to be a tough draw this year since they reduced the permits by so much everywhere else, I applied there too.

Comment

Anyone get lucky enough to get drawn out there?

Comment

Originally posted by boss bowman View Post
            the guys in the compartment east of us took 5!
            Sorry, that was my group. Two of my buddies tagged out. I could have also, but I wanted one of those 15'' bucks. When I saw the reduced permits, I said the same thing. Then I thought, maybe we shouldn't have killed all those deer!
            I still may go as a stand-by. I do have that whole week off!!

Comment

Are you one of these guys? if not one of your buddies posted them a few months ago

Comment

Yep, that's us. I'm in the first pic. I shot her first morning out. We did have an edge though. We also got drawn the year before and got the same compartment. Where I shot her, I had seen a good buck there the year before on the last morning. That's a good place to hunt!!!

Comment

How did yall do two years ago?

Comment

Well, dealing with a full moon that year on top of nearly 100 degree temps, dry as a bone, no acrons, only one deer (doe) was shot and 2 hogs. Oh, my buddy also shot a 6 pt, but it was only 13 3/4" wide and they kept it and gave him a scolding. He said it looked wider than the ears. I had several bucks come in but they weren't legal. I also missed a hog. Lot's of hogs that year. The compartment right next to us had that pasture flooded and they were coming through us in the evening to go waller. I did get to see a 8 pt pushing 20 in wide.

Comment

I saw one of those 20 inch bucks in the north unit myself last year, but he was 100 yards off, no bueno with a bow.

Comment

Well they did it again this year, reducing the number of total permits by 40, this place allows fewer hunters through its doors every year, makes me wonder if they are trying to phase it into becoming a refuge. Archery permits stayed at 60, but two other hunt categories permits #'s were cut. They did introduce a new category youth only management hunt, but the #'s of total permits available is still 40 less than last year. From the # of people applying this place has no shortage of people wanting to hunt it yet they continue to reduce the available permits every year, sickening.

GUN DEER;ANTLERLESS/SPIKE - Permits available: 80
                        Last Year: 559 applicants for 120 permits

YOUTH ONLY GUN DEER;ANTLERLESS/SPIKE - Permits available 40
                        Last Year: 218 applicants for 81 permits

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                          I am pretty sure that mgmt at RC would just assume nobody was ever on it period. I don't think you can access the south unit but about 2 months out of the year anyway unless you are on a drawn hunt. Seems I read something to the effect last year. The #'s are also down at Gus Engling WMA which is going to make it hard to draw there also. My first thought was that they wanted to give more permits to gun hunters to increase harvest but if they dropped the # of gun permits also that would not make sense.
                          i think gus engling went up by ten for archery.....i will be applying there again this again, 2 years ago tagged out from there.

Comment

do the math thats 60 less permits this year at engeling too

GUS ENGELING

ARCHERY DEER

Permits Available: 60
                            Last Year: 79 applicants for 50 permits

GUN DEER; EITHER SEX

Permits Available: 40
                            Last Year: 224 applicants for 57 permits

GUN DEER; ANTLERLESS/SPIKE

Permits Available: 180
                            Last Year: 338 applicants for 281 permits

GUN DEER; MGMT EITHER SEX

Permits Available: 120
                            Last Year: 372 applicants for 72 permits

YOUTH ONLY GUN DEER; EITHER SEX

Permits Available: 40
                            Last Year: 108 applicants for 45 permits

YOUTH ONLY GUN DEER; ANTLERLESS/SPIKE

Permits Available: 50
                            Last Year: 83 applicants for 45 permits

Comment

Sqiggy, are we gonna apply this year?
                              I'm in Korea right now and won't be back until end of July.
                              Maybe mossman, you and I can all go again for a another fun hunt at RC!

PS: We need to get together and drop some hogs in August after I get Lasik!

Comment

Working...
                              X