PDA

View Full Version : Broadhead sharpening?

TX Doc
08-24-2010, 03:27 PM
How do you guys like to sharpen your broadheads. I'm pretty good at sharpening knives, but I've always used replacement blade heads before and I'm not used to sharpening my broadheads. Are you using files, wet stones, diamond stones, or carbide sharpeners? How fine of a grit do I need to sharpen the heads to get a good edge? Thanks.
Kody

Bisch
08-24-2010, 03:32 PM
I am "sharpening challenged" and can hardly sharpen a butter knife. I have been using a GATCO knife sharpener for years. I just tried a KME knife sharpener recently and liked how it is designed and will probably get one soon. If it does not have a guide to keep the angle consistent I can't sharpen with it. KME also makes a neat little broadhead sharpener that look like it work real well too but I have not tried it yet.

Bisch

Bill in San Jose
08-24-2010, 03:42 PM
For Thunderheads I replace the blades.

For 2-blade Magnus, I replace the whole broadhead (free lifetime warranty and replacement if dull) by mailing them back.

bigtuna
08-24-2010, 03:53 PM
You can sharpen magnus BHs with a diamond stone. I have the one made by G5. The bleeders get in the way a little bit but you can get them pretty sharp with that stone. I think they carry the g5 stone at bass pro. 3 blade BHs like montecs and snuffers are also easy to sharpen with a stone like this.

Samiel2d
08-24-2010, 04:51 PM
being a person who can hone just about anything to a fine edge i actually have a variety of stones that i use to sharpen my broadheads. on muzzy's and other thin replacable blades, i just replace em.. if the blade has a lil meat on it i'll sharpen it by hand... for 3 bladed broadheads your angle is built into the broadhead... 2 of the edges should be flat when you lay it on a table, if so (most of them will do this) put the edge flat on the stone and go in an upward stroke starting w/ the tip and end at the ferrule, this like with all edge's will roll the side not on the stone just a little... it wont be noticeable w/ the naked eye but you will be able to feel it.. simply turn and repeat the process until sharp to your liking. i haven't attempted to sharpen a 4 blade bh or mechanical's but the same basic principle applies... look at the stock edge and follow as close to that as possible. another trick is to fine hone it w/ a leather strap with the bevel (strop away from the edge not towards it) this will put a final fine edge on your broadheads.

glen
08-24-2010, 05:26 PM
I am sharpening challenged myself.- I bought a set of paper wheels for a bench grinder. I now know what the term scary sharp means. If you sharpen lots of things I highly reccomend them.

FishnHunt
08-24-2010, 06:19 PM
In all honesty, I believe the quickest way to sharpen is with an $5 RADA sharpener as found an Amazon. Using the RADA pull thru wheelie sharpener I can get a 2 blade head shaving sharp in just a few strokes. Its baffling how well the unit works.

I have a KME, belt sander with grits 200-1000 + leather strop belt, sandpaper on glass aka scary sharp method, Razors Edge Jig, ark stones (white, black, translucent), diamond hones, ceramic rods....probably have spent hundreds of dollars on sharpening stuff and only wish I'd heard of the RADA sooner. Using the $5 rada, I can get stuff real sharp, real quick. I think RADA is probably the most no-brainer sharpening system out there.

Good luck!

JEFFRO
08-24-2010, 07:47 PM
guess i'm ol'school, still use a fine mill bast. file for my broadheads.

sitting around the camp fire the night before the opener, good friends, good bows, a cold dr.pepper. and sharp'n the heads.
ahcomeon OCTOBER...

Cottonwood
08-24-2010, 08:00 PM
I use a SMITH's V-Sharp for knives and scissors, which works real well for my Zwickey Eskimo's giving them an awesomely scary sharp edge.

rubydog
08-24-2010, 09:51 PM
I have a machine that I bought several years ago that uses a Trivec in 700 and 1200 grit and a leather belt. This machine never misses on sharpening. I never regret the 250 dollars I spent on it...

Greywolf in Hawaii
08-24-2010, 11:32 PM
Ez-Lap medium and fine stone, $28.00 ea and just practice.

Snuffers are 5 minutes from package to hunting ready.
2 Blades are same way. pressure is the key. when I teach someone how to sharpen a Snuffer or 3 bld head, first thing I tell them is go get your bathroom scale.. easiest way to demonstrate pressure

Texas5o
08-25-2010, 08:55 AM
I like the KME system. I bought the knife sharpening system and the broadhead sharpening system. I like both of them. I get my heads plenty sharp with just a coarse stone, then strop them a few times with the leather.

loco cacahuate
08-25-2010, 11:22 AM
I use a file and strop with leather or cardboard.

Flint knapper
08-25-2010, 04:15 PM
I use a file to get the right angle and edge and then finish up with oil and a wet stone.

Buff
08-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Lansky (spelling)

Ol Man
08-26-2010, 10:53 AM
Just got in a set of paper wheels - Don't want to take the time anymore to sharpen all my stuff. I am trying to get used to it but, I got a Magnus 1-160 grain so sharp it grabs skin before you can shave any hair off your arm. ( Time 20 seconds)